-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather than Hurt Feeler Reports,simply cite the subtension you deem requisite. Hint.

Or simply add more punctuation. Hint.

Just sayin’…….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
That was nice of them
In the same vain, I’d love to see a benchrest shooter walk a 3 mile course for 3 days carrying all of his gear, arriving at marked shooting positions, locate, range, and fire one shot at each target out to 1200 yards while trying to find a position to get a rest from a tree limb, boulder outcropping all while being on the clock
Oh, and no “sighters” until you figure out elevation and windage

Just like the sniper gear, I could give a flying fuuck what PRS shooters use.

I only entered this fray when this was posted:
At distance and for precision shooting, FFP all the way.

Again, no serious LR BR shooter on the planet uses a FFP scope.

I didn't say it wasn't usable, but for the ultimate in accuracy at distance, a FFP is not the best tool for the job.
Maybe so, Al, but for the ultimate in useful, practical field accuracy and precision at distance, FFP is an ideal tool for the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm…

I wonder which discipline most closely resembles hunting or any real-life use of a long range rifle?

🤓

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At an NBRSA tournament for Hunter Class guns (6X scopes), a local guy came to use the range after we were done for the day. He was shooting a 700 based tactical style rig with some flavor of high mag scope on it....likely a FFP. Looking at the targets hung on the Wailing Wall, he commented in all seriousness:

"If the targets were bigger, I could shoot just as good as these guys."

Out of the mouths of babes..... grin

Forbidden Zoner
2 members like this: dave7mm, MikeS
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Both FFP and SFP suck for skeet. They are different tools for different games. Not sure if on a fixed power scope it even matters. i.e. Hunter bench rest

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We do have some “real big deals here”. Doesn’t mater what you like, the “experts “ will change your mind. Even with great lrf and guts. 😅

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Wrong

There are other competitions that you are obviously unfamiliar with that no one uses a SFP scope

Practical Rifle Matches and Precision Rifle

The reticle subtensions must remain constant regardless of power setting for wind holds and elevation

Same for hunting

Yep...I should have specified BR shooting as that's what people seem to get their panties wadded up about. Several pals I shoot BR with also shoot the PRS game and the FFP scopes do a good job in that scenario.

FFP scopes are a necessity in those games

If a scope is going to be used a lot at some mid power then FFP is really the only way to go. Any scope over 20X where wind holds must be done with the reticle is better suited with a FFP reticle placement. Paper target comps have know scoring rings so hold off is usually done scaling the target or dialing so 2ndFP works well.

If one can use the scope at max mag for most any shot requiring wind holds then I prefer 2ndFP. I have 2ndFP in my hunting scopes that max out at 18X.

I also like being able to change the reticle substention in some circumstances and much prefer 2ndFP in low light.

Lots of choices these day and it's easy to find an optic that suits ones wants and needs.

Great conversation with ya the other night John, wouldn’t expect anything less. Next time I’m your way. We’ll have a drink, my bottle.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It depends on what you want. If you intend to use your reticle for ranging targets then go with an FFP. The reticle subtensions are the same at any magnification. An SFP scope can only be used for accurate ranging at a set magnification, usually the highest. The drawback to FFP is that at low magnification the reticle can be very small. In an SFP the reticle remains a constant size regardless the magnification.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sucre68
It depends on what you want. If you intend to use your reticle for ranging targets then go with an FFP. The reticle subtensions are the same at any magnification. An SFP scope can only be used for accurate ranging at a set magnification, usually the highest. The drawback to FFP is that at low magnification the reticle can be very small. In an SFP the reticle remains a constant size regardless the magnification.
Again, this application is not what makes a FFP reticle so useful.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by sucre68
Again, this application is not what makes a FFP reticle so useful.

Can you complete or expand that opinion Jordan? What makes FFP so useful?

GOA
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not Jordan, but I like it when all of the corrections on my dope sheet match the graduations on the reticle at every magnification.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
These five SFP 6X A.O. scopes will all be evaluated on a new Hunter Class rifle where 6X is the max. allowable magnification. From the top:
-Weaver steel tube T6
-Burris HBR
-Leupold 6X42
-Sightron HBR
-New style Weaver alum T6
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pardon my ignorance here…but concerning those 6X fixed power scopes, how does FFP or SFP have a bearing?

Does the 6X magnifying lens being on one side of the reticle or the other have an effect on parallax or focusing or something?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FFP simply connects the most dots to arrange POA/POI,whether holdover,holdunder,movers and/or atmospherics. Hint.

Your favorite book or movie have less than zero bearing. Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
FFP simply connects the most dots to arrange POA/POI,whether holdover,holdunder,movers and/or atmospherics. Hint.

LOL.

When the big boys were using proper reticles you were the duplex SFP cheerleader. Now LiL Fish is ridin the back of the bandwagon trying to be relvent.

If you can't kill it wit a standad duplex,it ain't gonna get killed with ANYTHING else.

Leupie will of course continue to get my loot.................

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon the poignant powers of my words,so fully controlling your “life”. You KNOW better than to try and use your’s. Hint.

Sadly,Reupolds’s ship sailed away long ago,but kudos to you for cherishing my memories,as it’s plum flattering. Hint.

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you fire your first round of Live Ammo this year. Hint.

Just sayin’………..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
I use both, depends on rifle and what I'm shooting at and don't worry about what others use. LOL

+1. SFP 10X max with BDC on hunting rifles. I don't shoot at game over 1/4 mile. The SFP with BDC is a very quick and accurate enough aiming method for big game.

On my Varmint and target shooters I am trending toward FFP. More precision when there is plenty of time for ranging and getting dope prior to shooting.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you can't do it with a Duplex,it cain't be done..............

LiL Fish tried to jump the shark in the Optic Forum. Shark won.

[Linked Image from ar15.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep stealing pics and thinking about me,as you anticipate your first Live Round of the year. Hint.

Just sayin’………….

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This little POS is sportin' a SPF and I think it works okay.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 65 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,246
Posts18,525,054
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.