Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by sucre68
It depends on what you want. If you intend to use your reticle for ranging targets then go with an FFP. The reticle subtensions are the same at any magnification. An SFP scope can only be used for accurate ranging at a set magnification, usually the highest. The drawback to FFP is that at low magnification the reticle can be very small. In an SFP the reticle remains a constant size regardless the magnification.
Again, this application is not what makes a FFP reticle so useful.

Can you complete or expand that opinion Jordan? What makes FFP so useful?
I have found a graduated reticle to be very useful for several purposes: holding wind, measuring corrections for both myself and others, holding over, leading moving targets, measuring target size, and estimating target distance if the LRF fails to get a range. Estimating range is near the bottom of that list, in terms of usefulness.

As mathman said, FFP is so useful for the above applications because the angular graduations on the ruler remain constant. Big Stick has aptly made the comparison of an SFP reticle to a speedometer whose ticks change in separation depending on speed. In terms of FFP reticle design, I also find it very useful to be able to zoom out for closer shots and see essentially a duplex with thick posts and a reticle center with marks that are too fine to be distracting, while zooming in removes the thick posts from the FOV and the fine graduations become visible and useful for longer shots.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good description of the advantage for the FFP scopes Jordan.

I do use the FFP reticle for wind calls, and so forth.

An example of another FFP advantage where scope reticle has graduations (ruler) is a friend of mine mounted a FFP MOA reticle scope to a 22 rimfire. Wanted to sight in. I stapled a large sheet of paper up at 100 yards. Put a 1" dia. dots in center of paper.

Told him to hold reticle center dot on center orange dot. Shoot. Use graduations on elev and wind reticle to measure where bullet hole was in relation to center dot. Adjusted scope turrets, shoot again, this shot was on the orange dot. Two shot sightin. Then shoot more to verify.

Reason we sight in at 100 yard was we have a JFF 100 yard steel match. All of us were done shooting for score and friend removed the old scope he had on his rifle to mount new FFP MOA wiz bang 6-24x50 some of the guys had been buying. He suggested we move to 50 yard for sightin. I suggested we stay setup here at 100, no problem. Worked out fine.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What makes FFP so useful?

Reason we sight in at 100 yard was we have a JFF 100 yard steel match.

A rifle know-it-all on the forum who shoots matches has to ask someone on the internet why first focal plane scopes are useful?

Bizarre

An example of another FFP advantage where scope reticle has graduations (ruler) is a friend of mine mounted a FFP MOA reticle scope to a 22 rimfire. Wanted to sight in. I stapled a large sheet of paper up at 100 yards. Put a 1" dia. dots in center of paper.

Told him to hold reticle center dot on center orange dot. Shoot. Use graduations on elev and wind reticle to measure where bullet hole was in relation to center dot. Adjusted scope turrets, shoot again, this shot was on the orange dot. Two shot sightin. Then shoot more to verify.

The FFP has no advantage in this application over a SFP scope with a mil or MOA reticle

Numbnuts

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I don't communicate with homosexuals I'll not respond to your bait cumaglia. Chit, guess I did respond to a homosexual.

GOA
1 member likes this: earlybrd
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I don't communicate with homosexuals I'll not respond to your bait cumaglia. Chit, guess I did respond to a homosexual.

Thanks for playin’ you stupid SOB

🤡

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
LOL

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

The FFP has no advantage in this application over a SFP scope with a mil or MOA reticle

Numbnuts

FFP has the ability to do this at all powers. SFP at the one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Pardon my ignorance here…but concerning those 6X fixed power scopes, how does FFP or SFP have a bearing?

Does the 6X magnifying lens being on one side of the reticle or the other have an effect on parallax or focusing or something?

That's a good question. Maybe designating where the reticle physically is in the scope? Having had quite a few fixed power scopes apart, the reticles were at the rear in every case.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
FFP has the ability to do this at all powers. SFP at the one.

Good point

Einstein

🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Having had quite a few fixed power scopes apart, the reticles were at the rear in every case.

Good shootin' -Al

It’s a proven fact that owners of fixed power scopes like it in the rear

🤣

2 members like this: persiandog, persiandog
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(Just filling in for the Azz with 100k posts who was banned)

😂🤣😂🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good description of the advantage for the FFP scopes Jordan.

I do use the FFP reticle for wind calls, and so forth.

Reason we sight in at 100 yard was we have a JFF 100 yard steel match. All of us were done shooting for score and friend removed the old scope he had on his rifle to mount new FFP MOA wiz bang 6-24x50 some of the guys had been buying. He suggested we move to 50 yard for sightin. I suggested we stay setup here at 100, no problem. Worked out fine.
Yup, that's included in what I called "measuring corrections," although the advantage of an FFP reticle is less apparent in low-pressure situations such as on the range zeroing a scope, etc., in which the shooter has more time to think about magnification and ensure the correct setting on their SFP scope, and in which the consequences of forgetting to do so are essentially non-existent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, that's included in what I called "measuring corrections," although the advantage of an FFP reticle is less apparent in low-pressure situations such as on the range zeroing a scope, etc., in which the shooter has more time to think about magnification and ensure the correct setting on their SFP scope, and in which the consequences of forgetting to do so are essentially non-existent.

Translation….

Numbnuts

😂😂😂

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Translation….

Numbnuts

😂😂😂
LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[
Pardon my ignorance here…but concerning those 6X fixed power scopes, how does FFP or SFP have a bearing?

Does the 6X magnifying lens being on one side of the reticle or the other have an effect on parallax or focusing or something?

Had a very good conversation with an optical engineer for a well known company. We touched on this topic, among others. Cutting to the chase, he stated there were no advantages or diasadvantages to a SFP or FFP reticle placement in a fixed power. That included whether the parallax adjustment was a side adjustment, A.O. style or placed ahead of the occular.

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
no to page 1 early response...the question is, did you mean to post that question in the hunting optics section? wink

any of the latest gimmicks designed to part wallets from money will work for playtime on the range....are you setting up a hunting rig or a play rig here? haha...good luck

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/11/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Had a very good conversation with an optical engineer for a well known company. We touched on this topic, among others. Cutting to the chase, he stated there were no advantages or diasadvantages to a SFP or FFP reticle placement in a fixed power. That included whether the parallax adjustment was a side adjustment, A.O. style or placed ahead of the occular.

Thank you for the response.
I guess I am confused then as to why you even made mention of them being SFP if it has no bearing on anything???

These five SFP 6X A.O. scopes will all be evaluated on a new Hunter Class rifle where 6X is the max. allowable magnification.
These two Sightron SFP's will get wrung out on my VFS rig. The 36X45 ED

Same with the 45X Leupy you had mentioned. I am not flaming or being facetious here....I am trying to learn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for the response.
I guess I am confused then as to why you even made mention of them being SFP if it has no bearing on anything???

These five SFP 6X A.O. scopes will all be evaluated on a new Hunter Class rifle where 6X is the max. allowable magnification.
These two Sightron SFP's will get wrung out on my VFS rig. The 36X45 ED

Same with the 45X Leupy you had mentioned. I am not flaming or being facetious here....I am trying to learn.

I guess it's like the mfgs referencing 'SFP' when listing the specs. for their fixed power scopes....sort of a redundant term. It's like referencing 'head space' when talking about sizing brass. crazy grin

I also refetenced those as SFP as part of the conversation about FFP scopes being prefered for precision competitive shooting.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
no to page 1 early response...the question is, did you mean to post that question in the hunting optics section? wink

any of the latest gimmicks designed to part wallets from money will work for playtime on the range....are you setting up a hunting rig or a play rig here? haha...good luck
I guess the shooting skills developed in practice have no translation to hunting? Maybe you should tell the pile of critters I've killed with FFP scopes that they aren't really dead.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,268
Posts18,525,415
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.