Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A sudden trip to Savannah just popped up, then thinking head over to Charleston, Will have about 5 days, Starting out in Savannah.

Any certain establishments or activities in either area that you might want to recommend?

TIA.

GB1

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had started a similar thread a few years back, Never did get down there at that time, dang if i can find it, feel free to bump it if your google powers are better than mine.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don’t go to Myrtle beach a complete schit show

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Fort Sumter is on the list, Patriots Point sounds like another must do,

And no Myrtle Beach, got it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd

When I lived in NC a guy was telling me there was two Myrtle Beaches. One was good and one was pretty bad. I never went because I liked the Outer Banks

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by moosemike

When I lived in NC a guy was telling me there was two Myrtle Beaches. One was good and one was pretty bad. I never went because I liked the Outer Banks
I’m with ya I’ll take obx any day

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you’re going from Savannah to Charleston, you might consider going by way of Beaufort SC (where my wife and I just bought a house.) One attraction near Beaufort is Hunting Island State Park. It’s 6000 acres with 5 miles of undeveloped beach. From Beaufort you can drive north to Charleston, taking a little side trip to Botany Bay wildlife management area. You can do a self-guided tour and it’s pretty interesting. While there you can take in Boneyard Beach, it’s interesting as well.

In Charleston there are all kinds of historic things to see. There are also great places to eat. I may or may not be available when you’re here. If I am I’d be glad to give you the fifty-cent tour of The Citadel, where we live and where our youngest just graduated this past Saturday. No promises, but pm me for my phone number and with any specific questions you might have.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See Magnolia Garden "plantation". Fort Sumnter and Patriot point. Awesome history and plenty to see.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/c04mSNW

Last edited by Esox357; 05/07/24.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
If you’re going from Savannah to Charleston, you might consider going by way of Beaufort SC (where my wife and I just bought a house.) One attraction near Beaufort is Hunting Island State Park. It’s 6000 acres with 5 miles of undeveloped beach. From Beaufort you can drive north to Charleston, taking a little side trip to Botany Bay wildlife management area. You can do a self-guided tour and it’s pretty interesting. While there you can take in Boneyard Beach, it’s interesting as well.

In Charleston there are all kinds of historic things to see. There are also great places to eat. I may or may not be available when you’re here. If I am I’d be glad to give you the fifty-cent tour of The Citadel, where we live and where our youngest just graduated this past Saturday. No promises, but pm me for my phone number and with any specific questions you might have.

Appreciate it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Patriots Point
Fort Sumpter
Fort Moultrie
Boone Hall Plantation
Angel Oak
Outstanding restaurants everywhere
Party at Shem Creek

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Take the trolley around Savannah. Both Savannah and Charleston are beautiful old towns. Be sure to see the replica of the USS Hunley in Charleston. There is also an aircraft carrier there you can tour.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savannah- Webb Military Museum, eat at Debi’s, have an evening drink at one of the riverfront rooftop bars

Charleston- great restaurants- I like SNOB, Charleston history museum

Who is John Galt?
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
While in Charleston, take a tour on the blue line bus. It's air conditioned, which is important, and the driver we had was a retired history professor. Outstanding tour. The bus loads downtown and gives you a good 2hrs plus of history. I recommend it and will do it again on my next trip there.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely hit Beaufort. Lived there for 8 years. I'm sure things have changed some in 30+ but a nice town.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Went to Savannah. I recommend the dinner paddle boat ride. Some nice places along the walk to chill and grab a drink beforehand. There was one rooftop bar we particularly enjoyed.
The city is full of parks all well-designed for walking and interconnected with plenty of statues and fountains.

One word on something we learned on a tour. Don't touch that Spanish moss hanging idyllically from those trees. Story was Henry Ford thought he found a suitable and cheap source of stuffing for the seat cushions and began using it.
Turns out........Spanish moss is a haven for chiggers.

Lastly- got to have dinner at the Pink House. An incredible bar in the basement that is only candle lit and a throwback to older times. Unique experience and the hosts were incredibly caring and accommodating.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/08/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Went to Savannah. I recommend the dinner paddle boat ride. Some nice places along the walk to chill and grab a drink beforehand. There was one rooftop bar we particularly enjoyed.
The city is full of parks all well-designed for walking and interconnected with plenty of statues and fountains.

One word on something we learned on a tour. Don't touch that Spanish moss hanging idyllically from those trees. Story was Henry Ford thought he found a suitable and cheap source of stuffing for the seat cushions and began using it.

Lastly- got to have dinner at the Pink House. An incredible bar in the basement that is only candle lit and a throwback to older times. Unique experience and the hosts were incredibly caring and accommodating.

"An old wives’ tale in the southern USA is that Spanish moss in trees contains chiggers. That is strange because entomologists have NOT found chiggers in Spanish moss on trees, even despite repeated attempts. Nor have they found red mites (the adults). Indeed, what would be the point of chiggers “hanging out” in Spanish moss on trees when they need to find cattle or people or cats of dogs etc. which typically do not climb trees. How could such tiny mite larvae, hatching from eggs in the soil, manage to climb trees to get into Spanish moss?"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
North of Charleston and just south of Myrtle Beach is Brookgreen Gardens.

https://www.brookgreen.org/

Check their event schedule- the dinners and wine tastings there are phenomenal.

Not sure if it is still true but at one time it was the largest topiary exhibit in the world.

The sculpture and art work there are well curated.

Charleston is famous for the Spoleto Festival and as a result attracts world class artistic performers year round. Check local entertainment guides.

Savannah is also a music city that punches well above its weight in the big names it draws also check the local entertainment guides there.

Johnson and Wales the culinary university that rivals New York’s Culinary Institute of America used to be in Charleston and students that went there for school decided they liked the charm of Charleston and started a food culture there second to none. You can have uber expensive masterpieces of the food arts or dive bar food and it all be the best you have ever had. Try the Shems Creek area for great seafood.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Maybe, but MB is not in that area.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 05/08/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by kenjs1

"An old wives’ tale in the southern USA is that Spanish moss in trees contains chiggers. That is strange because entomologists have NOT found chiggers in Spanish moss on trees, even despite repeated attempts. Nor have they found red mites (the adults). Indeed, what would be the point of chiggers “hanging out” in Spanish moss on trees when they need to find cattle or people or cats of dogs etc. which typically do not climb trees. How could such tiny mite larvae, hatching from eggs in the soil, manage to climb trees to get into Spanish moss?"
You'll find the SOBs in cedar trees! Maybe transplanted by squirrels, coons, and birds? I don't know. If they are in trees, I don't see why Spanish moss wouldn't hold them as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jekyl Island. Federal Reserve plot 1910.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 61 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,244
Posts18,525,030
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.