Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by limabean
Thank you geedubya, beautiful rifle you have there.

So, apparently the D10’s have extractors & no ejector.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You can probably find a Browning/Winchester Low Wall in .260, .243, 6.5 CM, or 6.5x55 if you look around for a bit. Some of the Brownings have very nice wood. Not a Dakota by any stretch of the imagination, but slimmer and more attractive that the Number 1s IMO, and much less money than a Dakota, even at crazy Gunbroker prices.

You should avoid snapping those on an empty chamber too btw.

Fully agree.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Browning Low Wall is an extractor gun and with gloves on I have found it cumbersome, the High Wall on the other hand is an ejector gun. I have two Browning 1885's a 6MM with ok wood and a 25-06 with wood so plain it will get restocked in the future. Both guns have octagon barrels and are very accurate maybe more so than the #1. Both are a tad heavy for an all day carry at least for me.
I have several #1's in calibers from 250 Savage to 450-400. The #1A is a slim and trim rifle the Tropical (375 H&H, 405 Win, 35 Whelan, 450-400) are a bit heavier. I have three custom guns built on the #1 action and needless to say these are nice trim rifles and very accurate. There is a 38-55 built on a High Wall action with half round hale octagon barrel. It balances well between the hands accurate but no lightweight.
At the end of the day none of these rifles compares to my Dakota M10 with the possible exception of the custom guns.

1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've wanted a Dakota M10 ever since they came out. I figured something like a 7x57 would be nice. Hasn't happened yet and frankly, probably never will. Just another unfilled item on my bucket list. Never know though.I just might get lucky. So until that happens I'll just go with my Ruger #1s and one Browning B78 and enjoy them for what they are.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've wanted one for a long time as well. I have had #1's custom built exactly as I wanted for less than what a comparable Dakota would cost. Then out of the blue I came across one that suited me.
There's no dust on the Ruger #1 or the Browning 1885's I have several of both.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had three M-10. The only one I didn't really like was in 7mm Dakota. The extractor was inadequate to reliably lift the big fired brass cartridge from the chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 7mm Dakota is pretty interesting. most of them seem to have 23" barrels, and I'd rather see a 26" for them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Back in 1991 and 92, I was the chairman of the first Friends of the NRA dinner’s in my area. One of the guns provided by the NRA was a Model 10. We ended up returning that rifle due to the cost and the poor wood match between the butt stock and the forend. In hind sight I should have bought it. If my memory is correct it was priced between $1700 and $2200, I don’t remember the cartridge.

Last edited by 338reddog; 03/14/24.
S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I built a few custom rifles using Dakota#10 actions. I found the tiny triggers too small and bench made new ones with a scroll in back. I did not like the gap between the trigger guard and the lever. I made a pattern for a new trigger guard that would fill the blank space, had a mold made from the pattern and had a batch investment cast.
I fit these to just a few rifles and sold a few of the guards. The new triggers made a good functional and esthetic improvement and the new guard made it look like a different rifle. The safeties were also reshaped.
Once my good friend Martin Hagn came out with a smaller version of his marvelous single shot action I quit using Dakota’s.
Here are a few pics of a custom Dakota in .257 Roberts. This one engraved by Michael Dubber.
Steven Dodd Hughes, Gunmaker
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

SDH

1 member likes this: pal
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang, that’s a heartbreaker!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SDH
…I did not like the gap between the trigger guard and the lever. I made a pattern for a new trigger guard that would fill the blank space, had a mold made from the pattern and had a batch investment cast…

What an improvement, beautiful work Sir.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDH
I built a few custom rifles using Dakota#10 actions. I found the tiny triggers too small and bench made new ones with a scroll in back. I did not like the gap between the trigger guard and the lever. I made a pattern for a new trigger guard that would fill the blank space, had a mold made from the pattern and had a batch investment cast.
I fit these to just a few rifles and sold a few of the guards. The new triggers made a good functional and esthetic improvement and the new guard made it look like a different rifle. The safeties were also reshaped.
Once my good friend Martin Hagn came out with a smaller version of his marvelous single shot action I quit using Dakota’s.
Here are a few pics of a custom Dakota in .257 Roberts. This one engraved by Michael Dubber.

Beautiful design and workmanship.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks guys. Retired now, I loved creating cool hunting rifles.
SDH

SDH

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Elegance personified. Thanks for what you've given us Steven. Even for those who can't afford such work the guns are inspirational.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow, and in a perfect cartridge for a lively stalking rifle.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As I remember I built 2-3 in .257 Roberts one in 7x57 and one as a .280 Rem.
All great, size appropriate cartridges.
I put countless hours into thinking about easthitic and functional improvements and how to blend the action, lever and barrel contours into a pleasing, well balance, fast handling hunting rifle. Many, many drawings before I changed anything. A couple of pics on the forend
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

And this .257R I built for myself but let it get away....SDH

Last edited by SDH; 05/09/24.

SDH

1 member likes this: odonata
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
SDH,
Can you tell me what typically was involved in fitting your triggerguard? Was it very labour intensive?
Did the factory trigger not work in the new guard or was your new trigger entirely for aesthetic purposes?

I can’t believe dakota nor parkwest wouldn’t offer a better fitting guard after seeing how yours improved the action.

Thanks

Last edited by bigJ; 05/10/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I may not ever be able to afford one, or find one, but I’d love to own a model 10 in .22lr.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
SDH,

What wonderful work.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by robertham1
I may not ever be able to afford one, or find one, but I’d love to own a model 10 in .22lr.

You and me both!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 24 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,227
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.