Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I like nothing better regarding firearms than shooting accurate .22 handguns.

What are the good ones these days? Currently have several Mark IIIs and a Buckmark Hunter 5.9 in semi-autos. Have owned 41s, which don't do much that Rugers don't for less $$$ in my opinion, Colt Woodsmans, Ruger Government Models (wonderful, but barrel heavy), another Buckmark that was like the current Field Target but with a 7" (or longer barrel) and barrel heavy, a single Mark IV but in that I shoot high thumb, hated the placement the controls.

In that I always think I want another .22, I'm considering trying a SW22 or maybe getting really creative with a Government Model. Any other ideas? How do the SW22s shoot?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SW22 would be great to try. I have several Mk pistols but the most fun is the Mk IV 22/45 Lite suppressed!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like my Vostok, accurate and fun to shoot.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I really like my Walther PPQ and P22.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot against a couple of S&W Victory pistols in our local matches and they shoot quite nice. They’re not as popular as the Rugers around here but a few have them. I shoot a Ruger Mark 1, Mark 3, a Volquartsen and a High Standard S106 Military. Right now the High Standard is a favorite for me.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

S
SDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Four digit Pre-Woodsman 6" made in 1916, shoot great:
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
1951 Woodsman Match Target 4.5", My favorite. Stunningly accurate, perfect weight and balance.

SDH

1 member likes this: Bob_B257
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a S&W Victory, tricked out with a a Tandemkross trigger, slide loop and Fastfire mount. You have to shoot it to believe how well a $350 (old price) can be with a few tweaks. I let the RSO try it out a couple weeks ago and he was pretty wowed. The parts are pretty cheap, and make a huge difference, especially the trigger. A can is about the only thing it lacks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it lacking a can is YOUR fault......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thinking pretty hard about one now that I have several already threaded. The Smith will need a new barrel.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a Taurus TX22 with a threaded barrel then added a competition slide and barrel with a Burris Fastfire. It is pretty accurate. It has 16 round magazines and feeds everything I've feed it so far. Only failures were from some Federal bulk that did not fire.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wreckster84
SW22 would be great to try. I have several Mk pistols but the most fun is the Mk IV 22/45 Lite suppressed!

Funny. I have the 22/45 Mark III Lite that I bought to run my suppressor and it’s my least used .22 pistol. I have the older Sure Fire suppressor that is only approved for .22 LR. That older suppressor is only three ounces and the pistol is too light for my taste even suppressed.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
it lacking a can is YOUR fault......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I like that setup!

I think I saw the raccoon's cousins on the CU campus last week. Middle of the day with people everywhere during graduation day and they were rummaging through trash cans. Apparently the wildlife is just as crazy as everyone else in that town...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DesertMule Deer: For the last week I have been hosting out of state Gopher Hunters and my friend from New Orleans lets me shoot his customized Ruger MK-II in caliber 17 Mach2!
What a blast it is to shoot Ground Squirrels with this deadly accurate pistol.
The barrel and bolt customizations were done by Volquartsen - it has full size custom target grips and a Leupold red dot type sight - it is "silenced" but I forget the name brand of it.
I got several Gophers out around 50 yards with it - and MANY that were closer.
Again what a blast to shoot/Hunt with!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This pistol showed up on a local classifieds site just this morning - 1968 Browning Challenger.

Bought a 1968 Challenger in 1968 for the princely sum of $75, the dealer had three in stock and let me pick the one with the best wood. The seller of this one is asking a good bit more than that but his price is downright reasonable compared to what lesser condition ones are listed at on gunbroker.

Good thing my eyesight these days pretty much requires a red dot and there isn't a way to mount one without altering the pistol. And I don't wanna hear anybody tell me there is - I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it....

[Linked Image from zidaho.com]

[Linked Image from zidaho.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For many years the only 22 rimfire semi I owned has been a S&W 422. I gave my Dad my Mark I Ruger when he moved to North Carolina back in 82. This 422 has been many places, killed a ton of rabbits in the winter time and has been the pistol in my fishing vest for decades. Well it still is but I recently acquired a Mark III 6 inch barrelled Ruger to aid in burning up the many rimfire rounds acquired back when I was into metal silhouette, the Obama years. This pistol is brand new, the first round failed to eject but since every round has landed perfectly and functioned as expected. Just ordered a holster and this one will be my general principles go to. I have to say that the changes from the Mark I to the Mark III were unnecessary but don't cause any problems.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Try the Victory with the carbon fiber barrel, target trigger, custom grips and a dot from the Performance Center

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or get the snubby barrel and other goodies from TK, and not have to deal with the PC model.....

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DesertMule Deer: For the last week I have been hosting out of state Gopher Hunters and my friend from New Orleans lets me shoot his customized Ruger MK-II in caliber 17 Mach2!
What a blast it is to shoot Ground Squirrels with this deadly accurate pistol.
The barrel and bolt customizations were done by Volquartsen - it has full size custom target grips and a Leupold red dot type sight - it is "silenced" but I forget the name brand of it.
I got several Gophers out around 50 yards with it - and MANY that were closer.
Again what a blast to shoot/Hunt with!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That sounds like a fun pistol!

My uncle was a serious prairie dogger. I think for the last decade of his life, he shot a lot of accurized 10/22s with barrels chambered in .17 HM2 for that use. He lived in prairie dog country and I suspect expended tens of thousands of rounds of .17 HM2 and maybe more. Not sure where his family sold his guns or where the HM2s ended up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have or have shot most of the ones mentioned here so far but my new “favorite” is a Volquartsen Black Mamba - hands down the easiest and most accurate .22 pistol that I’ve shot. Your mileage may vary but have had others shoot the pistol and they agreed. Nothing wrong with ANY of the others mentioned and ALL are very accurate but there is just something that works with me and the Volquartsen?!!

PennDog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It’s posts like this with a nice pair and pictures that do them justice which make the rimfire section a place to keep checking on. Steve, thank you for taking the time to post these two examples of some Very nice work out of Hartford.
Originally Posted by SDH
Four digit Pre-Woodsman 6" made in 1916, shoot great:
1951 Woodsman Match Target 4.5", My favorite. Stunningly accurate, perfect weight and balance.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, ak_Rick, 17 invisible), 17,097 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.