Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've become quite fond of AR's with RMR's.

When afield and not stand hunting I usually go to and fro on an ATV, particularly when running traps and snares.

Usually shots are 30 yds. and under.

Works well!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/12/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Igloo
Curious as to what you all prefer on a carbine that you'd like to keep as light and handy and fast to use as possible?
First choice would be a Leupold M8-2x Heavy Duplex. It's what I have on my Mini-14 because it's tough enough to handle the action slamming recoil, it has a wide FOV and is plenty bright enough.
Second choice would be a good, small fixed 4x. Again maybe a Leup M8-4x cause they're tougher than their FX-II scopes. Or a made in Japan, Weaver Classic 4x. Again, a very tuff and brite scope.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Curious as to what you all prefer on a carbine that you'd like to keep as light and handy and fast to use as possible?

For light, I'd go with iron sights. For handy, I'd make sure that the LOP fit me perfectly, which might mean a bit shorter than normal, and that the rifle balanced slightly forward. For fast, I'd look at a red dot or a fixed 4x scope in low mounts with the eye relief set up for fast offhand shooting.

I one had a Remington 700 Youth Model in 308 that fit the bill. A Tikka T3x Compact fills the same role now.

Okie John

Attached Images
308Y Right copy.png (95.44 KB, 355 downloads)
Tikka 308C copy.png (58.04 KB, 354 downloads)
Last edited by okie john; 05/12/24.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Always looking for an application for this 4x Kollmorgan bear cub. Was going to mount on an early Savage 99, and discovered this is a 28 mm scope. Does anyone have some Weaver style rings for one of these ?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I put an Aimpoint H2 on my Winchester 70 .308 Featherweight Compact.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A red dot might be fast and light, but there are times when I want to magnify what I'm shooting at or pick a hole through the brush. For my purposes nothing has beat an older Vari-X lll 1.5-5x20 with a heavy duplex. There is no losing that reticle in low light or a brush background and the exit pupil and fov is huge, so I can mount the rifle with a less than perfect cheek weld and get the entire fov. Not the case with larger scopes with more magnification. It mounts as low over the bore as you want it and only goes 9.7 ounces. Lots of dangerous game rifles wear that same scope.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by kenster99
Always looking for an application for this 4x Kollmorgan bear cub. Was going to mount on an early Savage 99, and discovered this is a 28 mm scope. Does anyone have some Weaver style rings for one of these ?

It might actually be 26mm. Several folks sell inserts that work in 30mm rings.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by okie john

For light, I'd go with iron sights. For handy, I'd make sure that the LOP fit me perfectly, which might mean a bit shorter than normal, and that the rifle balanced slightly forward. For fast, I'd look at a red dot or a fixed 4x scope in low mounts with the eye relief set up for fast offhand shooting.

I one had a Remington 700 Youth Model in 308 that fit the bill. A Tikka T3x Compact fills the same role now.

Okie John

Nailed it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Rem 7600 in .358 Win is set up for still hunting and drives, it wears a VX6HD 1.5-5X with FireDot. Just about as fast as an RDS when at 1.5 with the dot on bright:

My two other carbines; Rem M7s in .260Rem and 350RM, both wear 2.5-8x36s.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Close in for me a red dot is the fastest. But on my hunting guns designated as you describe, Trijicon accupoint 1-4x (is a one inch) or the 30mm 1-6x

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been VERY impressed with the NightFarce NX8 1-8x FFP DM-X reticle Lit Bitches. They actually track and repeat,unlike my recent MK4 HD and MK5 HD Reupolds,which is refreshing. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Lightest? Leupold 1-4 with HD or German #1

That or Trijicon 1-4 w/triangle are even faster AT HUNTING RANGES than my RDSs. If you’re telling me all your shots are inside 25-30 FEET, or you’re running shotguns for turkeys, predators, and hogs…then RDSs are a hunting option (to me). Outside of room distances, true 1x LPVOs are my preference. I’ve got levers with 1-4 Leupold stuff, and 1-4 Trijicons on ARs. They’ve killed running deer, hogs, and coyotes from 15 feet away in thick stuff, to way beyond 200 yards.

….and IF a RDS is any faster than a 1x LPVO in any rifle- hunting scenario, I’ve yet to see vetted proof of it.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 05/12/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=Big Stick]I've been VERY impressed with the NightFarce NX8 1-8x FFP DM-X reticle Lit Bitches. They actually track and repeat,unlike my recent MK4 HD and MK5 HD Reupolds,which is refreshing. /quote]

I saw the light........

Or rather the dot!

Decisions ????

Decisions !!!!

Quien Sabe,

GWB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Trijicon lpvo with the triangle post.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This old 1.5-5x20 Leupold that I used on both my personal AR and on my issued carbines in the middle east worked exceedingly well. I kept it on 1.5x more than 90% of the time and just shot with both eyes open, like a red dot. If I needed to dial up I could. Worked great.

While home I found it accurate enough to hammer coyotes, and pop the heads off of grouse.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've been VERY impressed with the NightFarce NX8 1-8x FFP DM-X reticle Lit Bitches. They actually track and repeat,unlike my recent MK4 HD and MK5 HD Reupolds,which is refreshing. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Digging that set up, Mr. Stick. Does the lit part of the reticle function like a dot on lower powers? Daylight bright for real?

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya
[quote=Big Stick]I've been VERY impressed with the NightFarce NX8 1-8x FFP DM-X reticle Lit Bitches. They actually track and repeat,unlike my recent MK4 HD and MK5 HD Reupolds,which is refreshing. /quote]

I saw the light........

Or rather the dot!

Decisions ????

Decisions !!!!

Quien Sabe,

GWB

GW, is that a 404??

Very nice!!

Bill

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bill in NE
GW, is that a 404??

Very nice!!

Bill

Yup!

My passion is perforating porkers.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-golden-boar-308win.cfm?gun_id=101719650

So when I saw this add several years ago, It was lust at first sight.

I contacted Gordy's soon after I saw the add and I was told the rifle was sold. A couple months later I stopped by Gordy's and mentioned that I had missed it. The manager told me that it had been sent back to Sauer and would be available when they sent it back to Gordy's. I told them to call me. It was ove a year later, they did and I snagged it. Also had them bring in a QR mount for the Leupold Scope, and a flush mount magazine.

ya,

GWB

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by geedubya

I saw the light........

Or rather the dot!

Decisions ????

Decisions !!!!

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Aimpoint doesn't look right on that gun, but it probably works well. VX-R 2-7x33 is sweet. Not chink so stubby won't favor it. Hint

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That looks great with the Aimpoint H2 on it!

Do you guys with the red dots find you run out of shootability/light before a scope does?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 14,403 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,298
Posts18,545,349
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.