Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We had an old fice dog on the farm. Got 1 leg cut off in a sickle mower IIRC.
We called him Tripod ....maybe 30 LBs. His mate was a very big Shepard kinda dog . Called him Laddie . Those 2 had more sense than many dogs, and I have seen a lot.

They were hell on coons. They did not make a peep until the coon was on the way up.

There were occasions when it was very late and raining and we could not see the coon in the tree. We would tie the little one to the tree ....put a coat or 2 on the tree . Come back in the morn.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen two and know of another although I've not seen it.

The first was a Chinese Chow named "Leo." He was the mascot of the Kappa Sigma fraternity at the University of Arkansas, when I was a student there. Leo lost one of his legs when he was riding with some Kappa Sigs one afternoon riding in a convertible Chevrolet. The top was down. They were driving about 40 MPH when Leo decided to jump out. He crashed into the pavement, shattered one of his legs which had to be amputated by a vet. After he healed, he got along just fine on three legs.

The second was up in Garden Valley, Idaho. It was just some kind of mutt that belonged to a young man and his wife who had a house in the mountains. I was hunting elk in that area and I saw the three legged dog hobbling around without a problem, so I asked his owner, whom I knew, what happened?

He told me he and his wife were asleep one night when he woke up to a bunch of commotion and barking outside. He looked out the window and saw that a Black bear was chewing on his dog's hip and leg. The young man grabbed his .44 Magnum, ran outside and killed the bear.

He and his wife put the badly injured dog in their pickup and drove the 50 miles to Boise where there was a 24 hour per day veterinarian's clinic. The vet had to amputate the dog's leg but when the dog healed, he got around very well.

The third which I never saw, belonged to a good friend of mine in Los Angeles. It was some kind of cross between a German Shepard and some other pooch. My friend said they adopted it and that it had no trouble getting around.

Those are my three-legged-dog tales.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Actually one of the fastest Dogs I've ever seen was a three legged Corgi. It was unreal.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by erickg
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of two I've dusted, both of which were missing their left front legs. Both appeared to be getting along just fine.

Knew of a German Shepherd that lived to old age missing a left rear leg.

Shot this one last deer season. Pretty sure it's the one my nephew shot 2-3 weeks before. He said it ran off with a front leg swinging. It's amazing how resilient these critters are. It was hunting mice or something in some broom sage just high enuf that I couldn't see her body except when she jumped up and came down on her quarry, which was remarkable because of having only one front leg. She finally screwed up when she stepped out into the bush hogged part of the field at 275 yards.

She had apparently chewed the leg on off and it was dang near healed with no sign of infection.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Right after my wife and I married in '69, I had to take an abandoned dog to the city animal shelter. As we walked thru the cat area to get back to the dogs, I noticed a little pup sitting in a cat cage. He was about 4" tall from the floor to the top of his ears, and about half that height was ears. He was only about 5 weeks old and apparently was born 3 legged. I took him home with me! My wife kept him in her housecoat pocket while she cleaned and cooked. I literally lost him in the grass a few times. We went down to Gulf Shores for our first anniversary and took him. When I let him out on the beach, every female that saw him came running....talk about a chick magnet.

We had him about 2 years. Never got any bigger than a small chihuahua but thought he was Mr., Studley. I let him out to pee one morning not knowing there was a bitch in heat in the area. He apparently tried to take charge and a Doberman gave him the old rat killing trick. The kids that saw it brought him to me and begged me not to shoot the Doberman. The little fart thought he was the meanest thing around.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 14 yo 3 legged dog that kills any animal that doesn't belong in his yard. He got ran over as a puppy and is finally showing his age. Poor bastard got his leg and nuts cut off at the time.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yes, we called him, Tripod.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one, Missing her left rear. She is probably about 12 now. Got hit by a cattle truck when she was about a year old. I was at work, my wife took her to the vet and they said it was broke so bad they had to remove it….. then it got infected…. Think my wife and kids spent 4-5 nights up with her all night….. I told her to put her down but about 4 grand later she pulled through lol.

To be fair she has been a damn fine dog…. She sleeps in my son’s bed with him every night since then…. They are inseparable, she even got knocked up by the neighbor dog and had a litter of 4 pups at about 5 years old.

Only bad part is she is a little nippy with strangers, we live in the country but many a Amazon drivers have sprinted back to the gate for their lives regardless of the signs and latched gates.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Three legged dogs seem to be most prevalent on the rez.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
We had one growing up that was born without a hind leg. It never sowed it down. It could run fast and chase cats with the best of them. We as kids always felt sorry for it, but it showed us it had no handi-cap. It died of old age.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
[Linked Image]

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There are 4 in my neighborhood

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one in the back yard right now. Dumped as a puppy and then fell out of the truck window when very young. Wasn't going but about ten miles per hour at the time. Left back leg amputated just below the hip. My guess, and my Vet thinks the same, half lab and half pit. Made a fine deer tracking dog. On the trail on a leash not easy to hold back. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I met my GF she had one. A little yapper type of dog. Guess when it was young the leg died or something and they had it removed. Was her boys' dog growing up.

I wanted to rename it "yardstick" but she wouldn't let me. He passed on a year ago now. Old age. And I admit, I miss the little chit from now and then. He wasn't a bad dog for just hanging out on the couch.

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ever know of one

Are they real

well anyway, just that

Heck yeah, I knew of an Italian Greyhound once missing a front leg. He seemed to get around just fine. Very quick.

I know now a blind Australian Shepherd that sometimes bangs her head on things but otherwise is quite normal with very acute senses of smell and hearing.

Knew of some one legged deer too. All were missing a front leg or half a leg. Don't know how it would be if they lost a rear leg.

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saw a one leg Sandpiper on the beach running with the pack. He hopped just as well as the others ran!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
R.I.P. Bella, good girl !

Fuggin allergies !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
prayers sent

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a gwp that's missing a front. Still swims w a bird in her mouth.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
15-minute oil change place had a 3 legged pit for years. That dog would chase customer-thrown balls all day long, bring them back and toss it into one's lap for more.

Saw 3 wolves come running by once, from my moose hunting tree stand. One was running on 3, carrying the 4th, lagging behind, making heavy work of it. Most likely moose-injured. Probably should have shot one or more....Still undecided which one(s). smile

Cappie, neighbor's dog and understudy digger, has most or all of her toes missing left-hind - culled from dog team, and often runs on 3, especially when it's cold. She is still way faster than Honey HalfLab. She seems to have caught on.... Hey, what are neighbors for? - Kris is gonna love it. smile

Last edited by las; 05/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No one’s gonna throw out the old joke:

“A three legged dawg limped into a bar and said…”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 13,643 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,119
Posts18,542,217
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.