I think funny thoughts sometimes.
I just had a "funny thought" come to mind as I was driving out in the country a while ago.
I was passing a field owned by a rancher friend of mine who had invited me to "thin out the Gophers" in that field last year.
The field is newly irrigated (pivot added) and had become infested with Gophers.
On one of my first trips to the field I took along an old friend of mine who had driven out from the coast to spend some time with me fishing and Hunting Varmints.
He had along an older Remington bolt action 22 with a 4 power Redfield scope on it.
He mentioned that he had recently sighted it in and was eager for his first Gopher Hunting opportunity.
It was late June and we were waiting for the July 1st Trout opener on "the good section" of Georgetown Lake.
So a'Huntin we did go. The new crop of "pups" was up and about - in mass! They aren't very wide when they stand erect (which is most of the time) though.
My friend was having REAL trouble bonking Gophers out around 50 to 60 yards and just past. Especially the standing ones.
He was doing OK with the close ones and the feeding ones (prone type Gophers) but he was becoming frustrated to the point of self deprecating cursing - I began laughing at his amusing and innovative self directed "oaths".
I assumed that he was jerking the trigger and not squeezing it, or he had not really had his rig sighted in properly?
I loaned him my Lilja barreled Ruger 10/22 and he proceeded to make mince meat out of Gophers clear out to 100 yards. I knew it wasn't his shooting technique then - so, I tried his Rifle!
The old Redfield was clear enough and other than being only of 4 power I at first was stumped - what could be keeping him from bonking Gophers out past the 50 - 60 yard mark?
We were shooting from the roof of the VarmintMobiles canopy as we stood on the tailgate (a very steady platform!) with lots of sandbags for absolute steady rests.
In fact that was how I figured out his rigs problem.
I had laid his Rifle in my largest Dog-Gone-Good "X" type bag and was moving away from its field of view when I saw the crosshairs appear to "sweep" across the field as I moved my head.
I swear that Redfield had more than 2 1/2" of parallax at 50 yards!
And seeings most of the Gophers were just about that wide themselves - I could see why he was missing so many standing shots!
I grin again thinking how miffed at himself he had become.
It had been so long since I had used a scope without an adjustable objective that I had forgotten how much parallax there can be in a scope.
But this Redfield was an extreme case for sure.
I just bought a 3x9 Redfield last week, of the same vinatge as my friends 4 power (early 1970's?) and indeed with that parallax "lesson" somewhat fresh in my mind I took the used Redfield out of the store it was for sale in and laid it on the roof of my rig. I checked its parallax (it is a non-AO model as well) and it seemed to only have about 1" total at what I thought was 100 yards.
I ended up getting the clear old Redfield for $30.00 so I could not be to "critical" of it.
When people ask me what scope to get for Gopher Hunting guns (mostly rimfire Rifles) I have always suggested that folks buy a scope with an adjustable objective. My previous suggestions were validated this past summer with my "tight jawed" Gopher Hunting neophyte and his parallax to the "max" Redfield!
He told me he was going to be searching for a parallax free (AO model) scope for his Remington before this coming year - we'll see?
I normally set the AO to be parallax free at 60 yards on my 22 rimfire Rifles and on my 17 HMR Rifle I set it at 100 yards.
Seems to work best for me - these settings.
I have a Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silohuette) Rifle in 22 caliber that I use on "nice" days for Gophering. It is simply an amazing little Rifle - very accurate with an outstandingly great trigger. It had a Leupold 6x18 variable scope (with AO) on it until yesterday. I bought a used but as new (with box and stuff) Nikon 4.5x14 scope for it at my local pawn/sports shop. It has the adjustable objective knob on the side and the quick focus eyepiece AND the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) feature reticle! I hope it works out and as soon as the wind calms down a bit I will be sighting it in with its favorite ammunition (Winchester gray box HP's).
The Leupold 6x18 variable was just a little big looking on that dainty but beautiful Kimber! Besides I have a centerfire Varminter that had its scope "robbed" (by me) to go somewhere else and the Leupold 6x18 would go great there.
I have about 4 Rifles now waiting for the wind to calm down.
I am certain that the extra amount of money spent to get an adjustable objective model scope for ones rimfire Varminter (or centerfire for that matter) IS worth it.
Come on Gopher season!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy