Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LBP
Got this guy this morning with my Son's 223. I used the 60 gr Partition. Short shot 40 yards broke one rib entering destroyed the heart and broke one rib exiting. Deer was DRT not a step.
[Linked Image]
Heres the enterance.
[Linked Image]

LBP, Is that the stevens 200 or is it a different rifle? Great job on the deer, thanks for posting the pictures. I'm also assuming your using this load:
223 Pet Load
Remington Case
Trim 1.750
Weight Sorted
Flash Hole Deburred
Remington 7 1/2 Primer
H4895 Powder
26.0 Grains
60 Grain Nosler Partition Bullet
2.30 OAL
MV 3170 at 10 feet from muzzle

Looks like it definately does the trick. I didn't get a chance to go deer hunting this year, but next year I think my daughter may go and she will be using my 223 rem Ruger Hawkeye. Best regards, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fosteology, that's one lucky boy you got there. Good on you!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
53gr V-Max HSN factory load, about 15 yds from my 16 1/2 inch barreled AR-15 quartering to the left. This is the entrance side. Deer went 20 yds and flopped:
[Linked Image]

A game bullet would be more appropriate for game. V-Max = "V" for varmint.

Please note the bullet selection that most other posters in this thread use. It will aid in your selection for a proper bullet with better results on avarage.

The following quote is from the Hornady site and describes the V-Max.

Speed Kills! Varmint hunters can now reap the benefits of Hornady Superformance propellant technology in their favorite varmint cartridges. Superformance Varmint ammunition delivers muzzle velocity increases of 100 to 200 feet per second from EVERY gun. Accuracy, increased range, flatter trajectory, less wind drift and devastating terminal results are all realized with Superformance Varmint ammunition. Featuring the industry leading polymer tipped Hornady V-MAX bullet that delivers match accuracy and rapid fragmentation, Superformance Varmint ammunition from Hornady extends current varmint cartridge efficiency and performance. Optimal results are achieved in all firearms, and Superformance Varmint ammunition is safe to use in all action types, including semi-autos.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
BSA, you are correct sir on both questions. It is my son's Stevens 200 and I was using our pet load you listed. I also took the doe on the previous page with the same combo a few days before the buck. She was DRT also not a step.
You know a lot of folks seem to have problems with accuracy using the Partition. I guess we were lucky this was the first load we tried and consistently get 3/4" groups. I think thats pretty good for an inexpensive Stevens, its good enough for our purposes anyway. Notice I didn't call the Stevens cheap, its a lot of rifle for the money. wink

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LBP, I'll definately agree with you about the stevens. As I told you in another post, my friend bought one a few months ago and it is a tack driver. While breaking the barrel in, we shot a few groups that measured less than 1/2 inch @ 100 yds. Thanks again for posting the pictures of your kills and the performance of the 60 grain partition. I bought a couple hundred of the 64 gr. federal fusion bullets for my .223 and they shoot great out of my hawkey. I'm thinking about trying them on deer next year, but if I change my mind I think I'd go straight to the partitions and try your pet load out. bsa.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with the Stevens is they don't sell them around here in .22 calibers!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a shame, because like LBP said "its a lot of rifle for the money". My friends stevens puts my hawkeye to shame in the accuracy department: As much as it hurts to admit it blush

BSA MAGA
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Coldcase, I couldn't find one locally either, so I got on internet and found the cheapest deal I could find out of state, and prepaid for the rifle. Then I had a local FFL dealer receive the rifle for me. I had to pay the dealer a small transaction fee ($20), but avoided state sales tax since I prepaid for the rifle out of state. I buy most of my guns this way.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
BSA, another member on campfire is sending me some Federal 62gr Fusion ammo that he no longer needed. I'm just going to check the zero with a couple and give them a try. I tell you the 223 is unbelievably effective on our size deer out to 200 yards or so. I didn't know you could get the Fusions as a component, I might go with them if they work out. Where did you get the Fusions?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lbp, I purchased them from a suplier at a gunshow. They were pretty cheap and at $10.00/100 I had a hard time saying no. I'll get you his email address: traderrayseoni.com

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
BSA, Thanks for the contact info. If the Fusions work out I'll sure contact him...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem, you helped me out with my hawkeye: I had to return the favor smile

BSA MAGA
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Even then till next time. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have took a bunch of bucks with my 223's over the years. Hear is one I took with my AR 2 years back. 55 grain nosler BT 330 yards. I killed my antelope the year before this at 706 yards with a 60 grain partion out of my VSSF 223, but the conditions were right that day.

[Linked Image]

Lucas

Well its a dog eat dog, eat cat too, French eat frog, and I'll eat you....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ok here is my youngest 'W' with a few kills using his DPMS Sportical. Load is 64g Win PP over varget-we haven't had one stay in a deer yet. They are a great inexpensive bullet for deer class game out of a .223. PH

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
PH, good lookin boy and it looks like you taught him well. GREAT JOB... wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thought this thread was about kill photo's....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
KH,
What's the bullet?

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LBP
I think I forgot to post a pic of the doe I got last week. Anyway, here she is, I got her at 100 yards. I hit her a little high and back from the shoulder, as she stepped into a dry creek bed right as I fired the shot. The bullet nicked the bottom edge of her spine and she went down DRT. I used my Son's 223 for her with the 60gr Partition.
[Linked Image]

So you are having no trouble stabalizing the 60 partitions with 1:12" twist?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
KH,
What's the bullet?

Pete

Pete, that'd be the tiniest TSX....45gr's. Moly'd, inserted ala 223AI at 161 yards. Both fronts punched, top of the heart, and a lung. Didn't go far.

My 1 in 12 twisted barrel won't spin the 53's to my satisfaction. Best I've done with the 53's so far is about 1.5" groups, while the 45's shoot itty-bitty bugholes. I prefer precision....And results.

Like this:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.