Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, planning a hunt is part of the whole experience for me. Plenty of info out there, you just got to know where to find it!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
On the bone meat doesn't spoil near as fast as say a game bag full of de-boned meat all lumped together.

That is the official, and somewhat practical field half. Or most of it.

The other half is political -

las,
Please tell us that no fly zones for moose hunters and their gear in control use areas is not also political. It's all for safety, right? grin laugh

Romo,
You're to kind bro, but thanks!

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Calvin
So you have a 150lb hindquarter. The bone has to stay in.. Does it say anywhere that you can't take a hacksaw and saw the hindquarter in half but leave the bone in the two halves?

Interesting question. Off the top of my head, I'd say no, to the letter of regulations. Bet the regulation sponsors never thought of that one.....

What are you - some sort of Tundra lawyer??? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Somebody on OYO said you could do that.. I looked at the regs, and it doesn't say anything about the quarters needing to stay 1 piece, it just says the bone needs to stay in the meat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you have a 150lb hindquarter. The bone has to stay in.. Does it say anywhere that you can't take a hacksaw and saw the hindquarter in half but leave the bone in the two halves?

Calvin
We think alike, as that's the way I have always interpreted it too, but mainly for cutting up ribs on the bone so they fit into a game bag easier.

Two 75 pound pack trips beat one 150 pound pack (per leg).. I'm not 18 no mo. grin

NRA Life Member
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las
On the bone meat doesn't spoil near as fast as say a game bag full of de-boned meat all lumped together.

That is the official, and somewhat practical field half. Or most of it.

The other half is political -

las,
Please tell us that no fly zones for moose hunters and their gear in control use areas is not also political. It's all for safety, right? grin laugh

Romo,
You're to kind bro, but thanks!

It absolutely is. But it also has some secondary management/harvest level/user conflict benefits. I had to shoot and pack my moose about a mile at second encounter instead of the 500 yards from camp where I first saw him, due to political boundaries, agendas, and enforcement/management goofiness (never saw a ranger.......). A dead moose is a dead moose....... smile

Show me a State game department that does not consider political agenda......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Zactly what I was thinking. I'm surely not getting older, but the moose I work each year seem to be getting bigger, or they feel that way anyway. I'm also discovering that they come in more pieces these days. grin I know the law is specific about which joint you must save above and so forth, but it doesn't say, I don't think, that you can't separate parts into smaller pieces above those minimiums. The hind legs could easily be parted at the knee with the femur ball becoming one one handle while the shank at the heel joint could be another.

It is truly a luxury, fall or winter, to drag moose out on a sled. Head, hide, hooves; they all get retrieved in many cases.

[Linked Image]

BTW, planning a hunt is part of the whole experience for me. Plenty of info out there, you just got to know where to find it!

ADF&G site has an amazing amount of useful info. In spite of all the rules, it actually seems that they'd like to see things work out well for people too.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Two 75 pound pack trips beat one 150 pound pack (per leg).. I'm not 18 no mo. grin

Even if you could whack enough off to get the pack weights down to 100lbs, it would be much easier on the body. I like my knees too much.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've not seen/packed many moose, but I also haven't seen a 150lb quarter.

Then again, I'm a dink shooter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
Any contact info for Wildone or Larry Bartlett?

Larry Bartlett's contact is www.pristineventures.com

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've HEARD too, and by reading the regs, it only says bone in, but why couldn't you cut em in half? That is my plan, 125 isn't so bad, 150 sucks, but 75 to 100 is MUCH more manageable.

I don't know the full rational behind, but probably like TX where you can't debone either, its to keep count of animals... so if the hinds where in half, you still had count... of course in TX the technical is you can't cut hinds or fores in half, they have to stay intact but I digress.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've not seen/packed many moose, but I also haven't seen a 150lb quarter.

Then again, I'm a dink shooter.

Same here, Carl. That 150 I used is for one of those 2,000 lb., 80 inch bulls one hears about..... smile

Actually, a true "quarter" would probably go that much or more on most large, mature (7 or older) AK/Yuk bulls, especially from the Interior. A HIND (taken off at the pelvic joint) on a 1600- 1700 lb bull might come in 15 -20 lbs shy of that weight I'm guessing, but not having taken weights off the two of that size I've taken, I don't really know. I'll have to shoot one again sometime - just to weigh the hinds, ya know. smile

The HIND weights that I have taken run as follows :

From a 6 or 7 year old 56 inch Kenai bull (generally smaller than Interior bulls) - 122lb.
- a 52 " Kenai (probably 5 year old) bull - 110 lbs, 111 lbs
- this year's Noatak dink (maybe 3 yrs old - shown above) 95 and 96 lbs.

These weights were all taken several days after the kill, so field weights were maybe a couple lbs. heavier.

Not a bad idea cutting those things into chunks, bone left in, cross-wise maybe? for packing.

That band saw is going to be a bitch to pack. smile

Last edited by las; 01/27/11.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Idea of making smaller peices to carry but I would hate to leave that judgement call up to Troopers. One trip out you may be fine and the next trip your getting written up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dunno las, every quarter I've packed out felt like 200 pounds grin

Seriously though, thanks for posted those true weights. I have always wondered, but never had a scale available to verify.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Ironbender
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
<p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />
</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.10 Server at localhost.localdomain Port 80</address>
</body></html>

See what I mean? I think that's 'netspeak for "you don't get to see the nectar". Actually, yeah, I can see it alright (thought the quote mechanism sure isn't bringing up your post) and had to insert that slightly very cryptic reminder about booze in some places. Unfortunately, there are those in enforcement who are happy to grab the little, easy cases so it looks like they're doing something, rather than work to get the big fish. (That could mean an out-of-state hunter.)

If you're running FireFox, you can normally ad block the image, which might stop all that rubbish being displayed...

Seems kind of Big Brother though that the State are blocking a picture of a pint simply because you're in a dry village?

Last edited by Pete E; 01/27/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
T'aint even a paint, me lad!

T'was only 12 oz!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
All LEOs have a certain amount of discretion on what they will cite or not.

It's generally not the State LEOs I've had cross-wise with - but some of the Fed LEOs can get funny ideas..... maybe even a little badge-proud.

I had one on the Kenai make persistent noises about citing me on the "antlers coming out last" rule when my wife picked up the skull plate/ 10" forks from my yearling kill on her first pack load out to the road from the canoe landing a quarter mile in. The kill had been made a mile beyond that - and all of the moose was in the canoe coming out in one trip, except "in series" as it were for the 2 quarter- mile portages, including the last one to the truck. I started out first on the first trip out to the road with a heavy load, followed by my wife with a light load, and she just reached down and grabbed the required-by-law antler set on her way by since she had the allowance, but was not aware of the regulation as I was. I'd overlooked telling her to leave the antlers until the last trip. All of which I told the LEO. Who again stated that technically she could s cite me.

I didn't argue or get in her face - I agreed that it was her call, but I would contest it in front of a judge, as all of the kill was indeed coming out "together". She walked in with us for the second pack-out and checked the rest of the canoe load, Again she reminded me that I was technically in violation. then went about her business.

When I related the incident to one of the other Refuge LEOs checking me the next year, he just grinned and shook his head..... the eye-roll wasn't bad either. I asked him what he would have done, and he said everything except the second and third references to citing me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That trooper b!tch up in Aniak this year just about snapped me...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lets hear it. Elaborate

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The one trooper was really helpful. The chick was worthless.. I even recall wanting to write a few letters after than encounter.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,133
Posts18,483,919
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.