Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Most if not all of my hunting is for whitetails in and around woods. So I don't need or want an 8 or 10 power binocular. What I think I need is a very good 7 power. I would also like one with a 42 or 43 objective lense for those moments just before dark. I also prefer center focus. If I can find what I'm looking for I will pay the price. I'm no kid anymore and at this stage of my life I want a good pair and it will probably be the last I buy. Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions and help. RRM

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Re-think the whole power issue. I started with A 7X35, went to a 8x40, and now have a couple of 10x42. They all work fine, even in the woods. The 10x is actually the most overall useful.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like 8 x 42 personaly even though I do have a pair of 10 x 42's also.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I kind of went the other direction; Bought a Leupold Yosemite
6 x 30 because they were so inexpensive, liked the 6 power so much, I purchased a Meopta 6.5 x 30 and that's about all I use in the woods anymore.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
RRM;

What type of hunting? Still hunting where weight might be an issue, or stand hunting where it's not?

Personally, I use the 6.5x32 Minox IFs, and they are perfect for me (though sadly discontinued). 8x42s I found too heavy for any type of still hunting, though top-shelf 8x30s (Swaro SLCs) would work like a charm.

So, what type of hunting and what's your realistic price range?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
6X32 Vortex Viper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You didn't say price range. The Zeiss 7x42 T FL with the wide angle view and 26oz. wt., but about $1800.

Regards,Steve
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You've really got to go pick them up and try them out if you want the perfect pair for you. If price isn't a factor look at the big 3, zeiss, swarovski, and leica. You can't go wrong with any of those three, beyond that it's all personal preference.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love 7x binos. They have been my fascination for many years and my focus, intensely, again recently.

With no price restriction my suggestions would be...

Zeiss 7x42 FL - widest field of view, brightest image of the group, literally no color fringing in the image. Least expensive I have seen them is around $1500.

Zen Ray 7x42 ED3 - almost as wide as the Zeiss and almost as bright, again literally no color fringing in the image - less expensive, dramatically, than any of the others in the group. $410

Nikon EDG 7x42 - About the same apparent brightness as the ZR with a wider sweet spot of image in focus and free of distortion. Narrower field of view than the first two. Least expensive price was around $1300.

Swarosvki SLC Neu 7x42 - Good apparent brightness, largest sweet spot of the group. Larger and heavier than the others. No longer in production...can be found, occassionally in the $1200-$1300 range.

Meopta Meostar 7x42 - Large sweet spot, good apparent brightness. Does display some CA and does have a slightly narrower field of view in comparison to most of the others. $870

Leica Ultravid or Ultravid HD 7x42 - Good size sweet spot, excellent apparent brightness. The non-HD Ultravid did display some CA. The HD doesn't. The former is no longer in production. Can occasionally be found around $1200. Not sure on the price of the HD model but I would expect close to $2000.

Leica Trinovid 7x42 - Same comments as the non-HD Ultravid but with an image not quite as bright since it used lesser, but still good, prism coatings. Not in production but can be found for around $700-$800 on the auction sites.

All of them are excellent bins and my comments are only in comparison to the other models on the list. These are the "best of the best" of the roof prism models currently available either new or slightly used/demo...and considering the full-sized objective diameter you requested.

I do feel the need to throw a few comments in about some 35-36 mm models. You mentioned hunting in the woods and low light capability. Based on that I would not rule out the porro prism design. My "quest" for high performing 7x bins has often led me to some of the porro prism models of previous years. I currently have three Nikon 7x35 E series models. All of them are excellent overall. The last version is fully multicoated and has an apparent brightness level as good as the 7x43 ED3 in lowlight conditions. Porro prism light transmission levels tend to be better than all but the most expensive roofs. In addition porros tend to display a "3D effect" which is extremely beneficial in the woods as it tends to separate objects at various distances. An object moving between trees is very easy to pick out. You can find them used for between $125-$350 at the usual auction site.

The Zen Ray 7x36 ED2 is also a fine performer and one I would certainly recommend. It has the widest field of view of any of the 7x bins previously discussed plus all the latest coatings, ED glass, etc... Price is around $300-$350 the last time I checked.

Just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love 7x also. Without breaking the bank I went with a 6.5x32 Eagle Optic Kingfisher- Same as a Vortex Raptor. I think a 7x35 is about as good as all 'round gets but other than the Nikon Action (and Action Extreme) you really have to drop a bundle. I think the 6.5's I bought work about as well as a 7x35 and find the glass better than the Nikon's. About $120. The little 6x30 Leupold's were great for thick stuff too.

If you can swing the dough for more upscale models FrankD mentions I would certainly be checking those Zeiss out. If in between- I have always been a Meopta fan.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/05/11.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Vanimrod, thanks for responding. The rest of you guys also. The price range ?? I suppose I could swing $1500 if it was the cat's behind. One problem I have is that there is no place, not even Cabela's, where a guy can pick up a variety of binoculars side by side for comparison. So I rely on you folks.
I still hunt a little, but most of my hunting is from tree stands. Still would want to keep them as light as possible. And center focus. Thanks. RRM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
RRM;
Personally, I use the 6.5x32 Minox IFs, and they are perfect for me (though sadly discontinued).

I have the same on your advice VA. Just last week a buddy peered down their barrels and remarked, "bet these cost a fortune." I just agreed.

I love the depth of field of those IFs.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Get the Yosemites and worry no more.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac
Vanimrod, thanks for responding. The rest of you guys also. The price range ?? I suppose I could swing $1500 if it was the cat's behind. One problem I have is that there is no place, not even Cabela's, where a guy can pick up a variety of binoculars side by side for comparison. So I rely on you folks.
I still hunt a little, but most of my hunting is from tree stands. Still would want to keep them as light as possible. And center focus. Thanks. RRM

The Swaro 8x32 ELs are going for 1400 at cameraland. These are being discontinued because it sounds like they are going to start making them with Swarovision (newer model). That's more than a 500 dollar discount. Excellent optics. Lightweight (21.5oz). Good low light performance. Couldn't imagine being disappointed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would stay away from the 30-32mm class binos-their just not as bright.

From my experience the two premium 7x binos you are most likely to get a good deal on are the Zeiss FL and Swarovski SLC Neu. But I would take the Leica and Nikon EDG 2 binos for a good price also.

Another good one if you can find a deal is the Brunton Epoch in 7.5x43 but I would not spend over $500 on it.

I would also buy the Zen ED3 if not wanting to spend over $500.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 12/05/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6x30 Yosemities
6x32 Vipers

I have both and love both.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
RRM;

8x30 SLCs, if you want top-shelf. I would have normally recommended the 8x32 Leica Ultravids, but as crappy as their CS is, for the price, I'll never recommend another Leica product. With Swaro, CS is never a question.

If you want a little better low-light performance and are willing to deal with the extra weight, the 7x42 SLCs are stunning.

Either of those Swaros will last you, and likely your children and grandchildren, a lifetime of hunting. Get those, and never guess as to whether there was something maybe a bit better.

Call Doug or Neil @ Cameralandny and ask about their Christmas sales, or hold on until after Christmas and see what pops up.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you don't have a problem spending the $1500 then get the Fls. Doug does have them on sale for right at or below that price point right now.

Brightest and sharpest image I have owned/tried plus they are the lightest of the Alpha 7x42s. If I could afford one then I would certainly have one in my selection.

Frank
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'd tend to listen to FrankD, if I didn't go with my own recommendations. wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you....I think.

:-)

Here is a three way comparative review I did of the FLs, ZR 7x36s and the Nikon 7x35 Es from a couple of years ago.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3253701/1

Frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,428
Posts18,507,499
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.