Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know jack-chit about snakes, but sure like killing them.

My weed-eater got this one. Grass snake?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a speckled king snake. Good guy.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Skullworks; 10/07/12.

'Cuz deer hunting ain't catch & release!
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Skullworks
Are they poisionous?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's how we do it...Beat em down and the go look up what kind they were. And I have no clue what that was.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You killed a good one.
King snakes eat rats, mice and (when hungry enough) Rattlesnakes, (OK, other snakes in general, but that includes Rattlesnakes, I've seen it).

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
iff'n you don't know what it is, why kill it? There are only a couple of poisonous snakes around, the rest are really valuable for keeping the balance in nature.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888
Are they poisionous?

Actually...snakes are not poisonous...they are venomous. laugh It was a good snake.

'Cuz deer hunting ain't catch & release!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
King snakes are non-poisonous. No reason to kill them. They eat other snakes and also rodents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a coral-headed rattlecoppermocassin - just like the rest of 'em.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I kill very few snakes as most are good or just plain old harmless but that don't apply to copperheads, hateful little bastards. At least a rattlesnake will warn ya it's there...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep, a King snake, one of the good ones. But try to tell that to my wife! It doesn't matter if it's a 6" grass snake or a timber rattler, she is going to try to kill it. A couple of years ago she come running out of the house with my Marlin Super Goose 10 ga hollering for me to find her some shells. I did just because I wanted to see her shoot a gun that is taller than she is. (Yeah, I can be mean like that.)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bowmanh
They eat other snakes
Ya, I need to let the king snakes live since there on my team. smile

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
iff'n you don't know what it is, why kill it?
Did not kill it this one, I was using my weed-eater in heavy brush and he got wacked. Moved from FL to TN & Ive never seen a King Snake.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
That's a coral-headed rattlecoppermocassin - just like the rest of 'em.

That's hilarious.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is my favorite snake.You killed it.A pox on you.

My weed-eater got this one. Grass snake?

[Linked Image]

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Allen917
Yep, a King snake, one of the good ones. But try to tell that to my wife!
She has already wanted to know "where exactly did you kill it".

She will never walk to the NW corner of the yard again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They eat Copperheads 'round here...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Most of the rattlesnakes I've run into, including one I had between my legs, didn't rattle. Might be different in other parts of the country but not here in Kalifornia. Most people get bitten because they step on or too close to one. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You should get over that.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You really are an idiot. And stupid to boot.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, a rattler will rattle if you step on him but in that case, it's done too late.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is to bad, there was no point to it. I like the snakes I have on my land, they eat mice and that is a good thing. I got a big black snake that suns himself on a rock, he is going to go into hibernation soon, He been around for about 4 or 5 years now. Leave them be, and you would hardly notice they are even around.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
sig888,

You gotta hit up elkhunternm. That dude loves snakes.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]
Yep, unless he's eating your chickens' eggs, you should probably have left him be.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
iff'n you don't know what it is, why kill it? There are only a couple of poisonous snakes around, the rest are really valuable for keeping the balance in nature.
Never has been a poisonous snake. How much you want to bet? grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Are they poisionous?

Actually...snakes are not poisonous...they are venomous. laugh It was a good snake.
Oh damn. You might have cost me a bundle with that little correction. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, unless he's eating your chickens' eggs, you should probably have left him be.

Never seen a king snake eat an egg, could happen but I never have known of it. We do have a snake here that will do that regular. We call them chicken snakes and they are black or real dark blue with a lighter belly. They will get to seven or eight feet. Down by the lakes and rivers there is one that looks almost the same but he will swim along the edge of the water from tree to tree and climb up and eat the baby birds, eggs, and young squirrels. They tend to get a little bigger. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
+1,000

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys aren't real big on reading comprehension, are you? It was killed as a by-product of clearing brush. Knocking down brush to clear the snakes away before you cut the brush down with a weed-eater seems a little counter-productive. crazy

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only way I will kill a king snake or bull snake is by accident. All other snakes, kill first ask questions later.
Rattlesnakes don't last long when they cross my path. Just the way it is. I love seeing king snakes and bull snakes in the yard. Makes me feel good that there is a lesser chance of seeing a rattler.

You killed it by accident clearing weeds. Guess he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hate when that happens. Pretty snake you whacked! lol

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only good snake I know of is a DEAD one.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's interesting to see the holier than thou attitudes about killing snakes on a hunting site.

You may think you're a "meat hunter", but dang few of us are subsistence hunters. We kill deer and critters because we want to.

But heaven forbid ya whack a snake's head off.....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
To my way of thinking, at least where I live stateside, you can have snakes or rats. Rats can eat the wiring on a motorcycle, therefore, rats must die.
Every once in a while, I'll kill a venomus one if my Portie won't let it alone. Rest of the time, let 'em kill rats.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like snakes around the yard but have only seen garter snakes which help keep the cricket population in check. Wish we had a few of the field mice eating variety to help the neighborhood cats keep the population in the neighboring hayfield in check, the mice want to move in with me about now.

That is after the surprise. We don't have any poisonous/venomous snakes but one of the places I lived as a kid had a prodigious copperhead population. Who says white men can't jump! grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's interesting to see the holier than thou attitudes about killing snakes on a hunting site.

You may think you're a "meat hunter", but dang few of us are subsistence hunters. We kill deer and critters because we want to.

Ever shoot a fawn or two and leave them in the woods?

Its a little different, but not a lot.

I was brought up if its not food, harmful , or a pest, killin shows poor stewardship.

Moot, since this was an accident.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nighthawk
...Wish we had a few of the field mice eating variety to help the neighborhood cats keep the population in the neighboring hayfield in check, ...

past 4 or 5 years the damned stray cats killed off all the snakes around here.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We only have two cats and they stay close to the houses. One belongs to a good guy neighbor and the other to the assisted living center so they're safe. I think the coyotes are keeping the strays down. Pretty sure I saw a coyote zip through the edge of the headlights behind the supermarket down the street and somethings been turning on the neighbors' security lights. This is all at the very edge of our little town. 'Spect that'll change when fur gets prime.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are they poisionous?

King snakes are protected by Tennessee law and are among the largest snake species in the state. This snake species is known for eating other snakes---including other king snakes---small rodents, reptiles, birds, bird eggs and frogs. The list of king snakes in Tennessee include the eastern milksnake, scarlet kingsnake, speckled kingsnake and the prairie kingsnake. The eastern milksnake and scarlet kingsnake, found in eastern Tennessee, have color patterns similar to the venomous coral snake, which is not native to Tennessee. However, these two snakes have red-black-yellow or white patterns, while coral snakes feature red-yellow-black patterns.

Read more: Protected Snakes in Tennessee | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8487189_protected-snakes-tennessee.html#ixzz28hTSsEv0

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Didn't read thread but will say a few things.
Little guys are very good to hve around, wild and free or as pets. Since not often seen above ground you couldn't ask for better rodent and rattle snake control. Extremely docile, rarely try to bite, preferring to ball up and hide head in the middle. Kills prey by constricting. They really like little mice, seek out nests and eat 'em all, including mama if she comes home. Also likes snakes, lizards, toads, and frogs. Cannibal. The bite of local venomous snakes has little or no effect.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
ARRGGGG, dats a King Snake, he eats rattelsnakes and copperheads fer lunch, he's a goodern, Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

In 15 years I havent seen a venomous snake, rabbit, squirrel, or any king of mouse/rat in the yard, i think he eats 'em all. grin

And there's a forearm sized hole going under the back slab by the fireplace, I think that's where he holes up during the winter. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

*faint*

I think that's where he holes up during the winter.

It'd be him, or me, the place wouldn't be big enough for the both of us. >shudder<

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY dislikes snakes more than me. I'll admit to going medieval on all I saw in my younger less informed days.
Now I try and simply observe, appreciate, and move on. Not 'holier than thou' by any measure. Simply where I'm finally at.
Matter of fact, I've got a black rat snake living in my little (10x10)storage shed at the cabin. It's been there 3 or 4 years running. It's around 7' long (I guess about as big as they get) now and absolutely HUGE! I don't even use my shed now since last time I went in there we wound up face to face (literally about 18 inches from my face) and I just decided he could have the place for the summer. blush Have a mentioned I don't really care for snakes? grin Having said that, if I stumble across a venomous snake especially in places it's likely to encounter a human, that's the last day it'll slither. Also, it is illegal in Georgia to kill a non-venomous snake.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the worst azz chewings I ever received from my dear mother, was when I used a stick to sling a big black snake out of our yard back into the hayfield where he belonged.

geez that woman hates snakes, her dad (my Pops) had taught me black snakes were good to keep the mice population down and thus the binder twine on our bales of hay intact

like many things in life, fear trumps common sense most often

I've lived in AK for so long, snakes give me a real start myself now.

prowling the woods as a kid, it just becomes 2nd nature to not step over a log without seeing what you're going to be sitting your foot down next to.

I've pretty well lost that habit and it scared the bejeezus outa me the last time I went tromping through the old home woods and had a snake slither away from my clodhoppers

I remember thinking, Gawd amighty, give me bears and skeeters any day!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Saw a snake crawling along the pool deck one fine day. It was a big one, over three feet long. So I grabbed a shovel, that way if it was a rattler I could bury it with the same shovel. Turned out to be a common king snake, so I gathered it up and placed it gently on the other side of the fence where it could hunt for vermin. Wife had seen it and asked why I didn't kill it. I told her that king snakes are immune to rattle snake venom and eat them, other snakes and lizards and mice, and all the rest of the things she finds scary.

She asked if I could capture it again, seeing that it would eat lizards, she had a few lizard people at work she would like to introduce it to.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/08/12.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by KDK
You guys aren't real big on reading comprehension, are you? It was killed as a by-product of clearing brush.
Thanks for reading the thread KDK, seems a few here just reply without reading.

I done the research Swampman700 posted & familiar w/kingsnakes now. I lived on a lake in FL and use to kill water type snakes all the time, but never seen a King.

Originally Posted by BrentD
You really are an idiot. And stupid to boot.

Suck a dog dick BrentD

Last edited by slg888; 10/08/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

well part of it is "the only good snake is a dead snake" phylosphy of a number of people here just cause they dont want to be around venomous snakes......funny thing is easiest way to keep venomous snakes off your property is to encourage kingsnakes, bullsnakes and ratsnakes to live on your property....one reason is as others here have said, kingsnakes will eat venomous snakes....some species of kingsnake are more inclined to do it than others but all species will do it.....

second, atleast around here, ive not seen where a rattlesnake can compete against bullsnakes around buildings....rattlesnakes are sit and wait predators while the other three ae very active hunters and if you have a number of them on your property they tend to knock rodent levels down to a level that rattlers go look elsewhere for food....granted if your inundated with mice and rats they prolly cant keep up but in the end i would rather have the non-venomous snakes around the house than the rodents...

but anyway by killing the good snakes your actually making it more likely you will run into the venomous snakes cause like it or not you have rodents on your property and they attract snakes...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I distinctly remember the last non-venomous snake(s) I killed. It seems in the spring all the snakes come out of hibernation on the same day (literally). My back yard is a beaver pond so we've got LOTS to choose from. One spring day several years ago a decent sized rat snake was outside the fence and my very young son was playing inside the fence. I hit the fence to get the snake to move on his way and instead he came AT me and rushed inside the fence! crazy shocked He crawled up in a bush and simply watched. I went inside for the Sheridan and my neighbor became intersted of the activities. I just 'thought' snakes bothered me until I met that neighbor. THAT boy (and a BIG boy at that) was simply terrified of those things. Anyway, one shot and that snake was done. About 2 minutes later I see another INSIDE the fenced in yard. Same fate. About 5 minutes later my neighbor is hooping and hollering as one had just climbed inside the engine compartment on his truck. Same fate. 3 in less than 10 minutes. That subsequent year was the first and last time we also had a rodent problem around here. Lesson learned.
They all get left alone now to do what they do very very well. Did have one somehow get in the garage and crawl over my wife's foot. She recovered quicker and better than I would have. laugh

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW

neet vid thanks.

up here we call them king or gopher snakes.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kill em or leave em, I don't care...But a lot of folk would make the case that wolves in your backyard serve a valuable purpose too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kill em or leave em, I don't care...But a lot of folk would make the case that wolves in your backyard serve a valuable purpose too.

ya but I can generally out run a snake!! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whole lot of difference between a 120 pound wolf and a half pound snake.....plus a 6 foot bullsnake can live within city limits without causing any real harm....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Indeed, they do. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course they say you're an idiot, and stupid to boot.

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kind of snake did I kill?

An illegal one.

In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild,
or possess native snakes taken from the wild without the proper permits.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mako25
Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

*faint*

I think that's where he holes up during the winter.

It'd be him, or me, the place wouldn't be big enough for the both of us. >shudder<

LOL, he wont bother ya, I have stumbled up on him around 5/6 times over the years and he just looks up and peacefully goes about his way, still kinda spooky lookin' when he raises his head 2ft off the ground and looks back at ya. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.