Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
ARRGGGG, dats a King Snake, he eats rattelsnakes and copperheads fer lunch, he's a goodern, Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

In 15 years I havent seen a venomous snake, rabbit, squirrel, or any king of mouse/rat in the yard, i think he eats 'em all. grin

And there's a forearm sized hole going under the back slab by the fireplace, I think that's where he holes up during the winter. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

*faint*

I think that's where he holes up during the winter.

It'd be him, or me, the place wouldn't be big enough for the both of us. >shudder<

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY dislikes snakes more than me. I'll admit to going medieval on all I saw in my younger less informed days.
Now I try and simply observe, appreciate, and move on. Not 'holier than thou' by any measure. Simply where I'm finally at.
Matter of fact, I've got a black rat snake living in my little (10x10)storage shed at the cabin. It's been there 3 or 4 years running. It's around 7' long (I guess about as big as they get) now and absolutely HUGE! I don't even use my shed now since last time I went in there we wound up face to face (literally about 18 inches from my face) and I just decided he could have the place for the summer. blush Have a mentioned I don't really care for snakes? grin Having said that, if I stumble across a venomous snake especially in places it's likely to encounter a human, that's the last day it'll slither. Also, it is illegal in Georgia to kill a non-venomous snake.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the worst azz chewings I ever received from my dear mother, was when I used a stick to sling a big black snake out of our yard back into the hayfield where he belonged.

geez that woman hates snakes, her dad (my Pops) had taught me black snakes were good to keep the mice population down and thus the binder twine on our bales of hay intact

like many things in life, fear trumps common sense most often

I've lived in AK for so long, snakes give me a real start myself now.

prowling the woods as a kid, it just becomes 2nd nature to not step over a log without seeing what you're going to be sitting your foot down next to.

I've pretty well lost that habit and it scared the bejeezus outa me the last time I went tromping through the old home woods and had a snake slither away from my clodhoppers

I remember thinking, Gawd amighty, give me bears and skeeters any day!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Saw a snake crawling along the pool deck one fine day. It was a big one, over three feet long. So I grabbed a shovel, that way if it was a rattler I could bury it with the same shovel. Turned out to be a common king snake, so I gathered it up and placed it gently on the other side of the fence where it could hunt for vermin. Wife had seen it and asked why I didn't kill it. I told her that king snakes are immune to rattle snake venom and eat them, other snakes and lizards and mice, and all the rest of the things she finds scary.

She asked if I could capture it again, seeing that it would eat lizards, she had a few lizard people at work she would like to introduce it to.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/08/12.
IC B2

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by KDK
You guys aren't real big on reading comprehension, are you? It was killed as a by-product of clearing brush.
Thanks for reading the thread KDK, seems a few here just reply without reading.

I done the research Swampman700 posted & familiar w/kingsnakes now. I lived on a lake in FL and use to kill water type snakes all the time, but never seen a King.

Originally Posted by BrentD
You really are an idiot. And stupid to boot.

Suck a dog dick BrentD

Last edited by slg888; 10/08/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's interesting to see the holier than thou attitudes about killing snakes on a hunting site.

You may think you're a "meat hunter", but dang few of us are subsistence hunters. We kill deer and critters because we want to.

But heaven forbid ya whack a snake's head off.....

well part of it is "the only good snake is a dead snake" phylosphy of a number of people here just cause they dont want to be around venomous snakes......funny thing is easiest way to keep venomous snakes off your property is to encourage kingsnakes, bullsnakes and ratsnakes to live on your property....one reason is as others here have said, kingsnakes will eat venomous snakes....some species of kingsnake are more inclined to do it than others but all species will do it.....

second, atleast around here, ive not seen where a rattlesnake can compete against bullsnakes around buildings....rattlesnakes are sit and wait predators while the other three ae very active hunters and if you have a number of them on your property they tend to knock rodent levels down to a level that rattlers go look elsewhere for food....granted if your inundated with mice and rats they prolly cant keep up but in the end i would rather have the non-venomous snakes around the house than the rodents...

but anyway by killing the good snakes your actually making it more likely you will run into the venomous snakes cause like it or not you have rodents on your property and they attract snakes...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I distinctly remember the last non-venomous snake(s) I killed. It seems in the spring all the snakes come out of hibernation on the same day (literally). My back yard is a beaver pond so we've got LOTS to choose from. One spring day several years ago a decent sized rat snake was outside the fence and my very young son was playing inside the fence. I hit the fence to get the snake to move on his way and instead he came AT me and rushed inside the fence! crazy shocked He crawled up in a bush and simply watched. I went inside for the Sheridan and my neighbor became intersted of the activities. I just 'thought' snakes bothered me until I met that neighbor. THAT boy (and a BIG boy at that) was simply terrified of those things. Anyway, one shot and that snake was done. About 2 minutes later I see another INSIDE the fenced in yard. Same fate. About 5 minutes later my neighbor is hooping and hollering as one had just climbed inside the engine compartment on his truck. Same fate. 3 in less than 10 minutes. That subsequent year was the first and last time we also had a rodent problem around here. Lesson learned.
They all get left alone now to do what they do very very well. Did have one somehow get in the garage and crawl over my wife's foot. She recovered quicker and better than I would have. laugh

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW

neet vid thanks.

up here we call them king or gopher snakes.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kill em or leave em, I don't care...But a lot of folk would make the case that wolves in your backyard serve a valuable purpose too.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kill em or leave em, I don't care...But a lot of folk would make the case that wolves in your backyard serve a valuable purpose too.

ya but I can generally out run a snake!! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whole lot of difference between a 120 pound wolf and a half pound snake.....plus a 6 foot bullsnake can live within city limits without causing any real harm....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Indeed, they do. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course they say you're an idiot, and stupid to boot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888
What kind of snake did I kill?

An illegal one.

In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild,
or possess native snakes taken from the wild without the proper permits.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mako25
Ole Big Boy here at the farm is around 8ft long last time I saw him.

*faint*

I think that's where he holes up during the winter.

It'd be him, or me, the place wouldn't be big enough for the both of us. >shudder<

LOL, he wont bother ya, I have stumbled up on him around 5/6 times over the years and he just looks up and peacefully goes about his way, still kinda spooky lookin' when he raises his head 2ft off the ground and looks back at ya. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.