Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
What is the best kitchen knife set to get?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
not a lot of difference between the better known brands. In fact, you can get functional knives at TJ Maxx for just a few bucks.

Sam......

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the Ken Onion knives. This is the one I have:
http://tinyurl.com/8yr3my4

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
What is the best kitchen knife set to get?

Budget for "best" ?... I'd be happy to offer some specific recommendations.

IMHO, your money is better spent on getting 2-3 quality, well designed knives (that will do 90% of your prep work), a decent set of Japanese water stones, and learning how to sharpen and properly care for those few knives rather than buying a "full set" or trying to fill up open slots in a kitchen knife block...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...29/blade_set_for_the_kitchen#Post6146329

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're looking for high performance knives at a reasonable price, I would suggest that you take a look at these:

[size:14pt]Tojiro DP[/size][/u][/color]

A good starter set, from the Tojiro DP line:

Chef (8 1/4" / 210 mm)
Paring (3 1/2" / 90 mm)
Utility (6" / 150 mm) Available [u][color:#990000]HERE.

Optional (but very useful) additions:

Nakiri (6 1/2" / 165 mm) vegetable knife (A big favorite, here!)
Honesuki (6" / 150 mm) boning knife (available HERE )

.... and lastly, a bread knife.

I would not spend a lot of money on a bread knife, myself. It's just a saw, after all. I'm very content with my 10 1/4-inch Forschner. Here it is: LINK

Last edited by Walker; 03/02/12. Reason: Inches / Sillymeters
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm super happy with my forschner vitorinox knives, cheap on amazon or at the local resturant suppply place. Chef's knife, boning knife, a straight and serrated parer, a serrated bread knife and the "Santoku" knife of course. Use the santoku knife more than any of the others. Bought individually.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd avoid the stamped knives typically found in big box stores or any set for that matter. Shun's are fine if you have an affinity for Suminagashi clad blades but the geometry and handles are miserable for a working knife. If you scratch that faux Damascus it's permanent. Globals are a RPITA to sharpen properly but they were the first widely available J-knives in the US. I sold mine off several years ago and never looked back. They served me well but for the money there are a LOT of better choices today.
There is no one "best" brand but the suggestion for Tojiro DP was very solid. They are great working knives at a reasonable price point. Watch Korin for 15% off sales that they have twice a year. I've bought from Mark at CKTG as well. He is also a good source for stones.
Budget and sharpening skill should be considered as well as if the OP wants a Western edge or single bevel J-knives. Then there is the question of carbon Vs SS.
Today I prefer WA variants that offer a Western edge and traditional Japanese handles. Masamoto KS series is an excellent choice that offers this styling but they are well into the mid-price range unlike the Tojiros at the lower end of the price spectrum for a quality knife.
I'd highly recommend the JCK (Kagayaki) original series. I have one of the WA Gyutos and aside from the handle, Kanji and mirror finish it stands up very well to the Suisin Honyaki which is several times more expensive. I'll leave a link.
I'd suggest starting with the following;

A 240-270MM Gyuto based on size preference. I use 240 the most at home but in a professional kitchen 270 is the norm.
A petty in the 120mm range.

Those two knives alone will take you a very long ways. You do not need to buy a set or even the same brand. From there I'd expand to a sujihiki or slicer of choice, a chinese cleaver and a bread knife. Mac probably has the best value going in a bread knife.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went through this not long ago. I ended up with Wusthoff Classics. They are a bit pricey, but are forged and seem like pretty good knives. They also came highly recommended here at the 'Fire.

Forschner are hard to beat for stamped blades.

I don't really know if I would call either one "best", but I can live happily with either........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wusthof/Henckels were the backbone of my kit for many years but with so many Japanese knives that are so much thinner and sharper available today it's hard to suggest German steel any longer. However they will take a lickin and keep on tickin where J-knives don't dare go. If your inclined to the German knives avoid the stamped versions from Wusthof/Henkels sold at the big box stores made in Spain or any where other than Germany.
It would be well worth looking to see if any of the Wusthof "Le Cordon Bleu" series are still available. The last I saw they were on close out prices.
The Forschner paring knives and Scimitars are both stellar buys and in that same range the trusty ole Rapala shouldn't be over looked.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Stetson
I'd avoid the stamped knives typically found in big box stores or any set for that matter. Shun's are fine if you have an affinity for Suminagashi clad blades but the geometry and handles are miserable for a working knife. If you scratch that faux Damascus it's permanent. Globals are a RPITA to sharpen properly but they were the first widely available J-knives in the US. I sold mine off several years ago and never looked back. They served me well but for the money there are a LOT of better choices today.
There is no one "best" brand but the suggestion for Tojiro DP was very solid. They are great working knives at a reasonable price point. Watch Korin for 15% off sales that they have twice a year. I've bought from Mark at CKTG as well. He is also a good source for stones.
Budget and sharpening skill should be considered as well as if the OP wants a Western edge or single bevel J-knives. Then there is the question of carbon Vs SS.
Today I prefer WA variants that offer a Western edge and traditional Japanese handles. Masamoto KS series is an excellent choice that offers this styling but they are well into the mid-price range unlike the Tojiros at the lower end of the price spectrum for a quality knife.
I'd highly recommend the JCK (Kagayaki) original series. I have one of the WA Gyutos and aside from the handle, Kanji and mirror finish it stands up very well to the Suisin Honyaki which is several times more expensive. I'll leave a link.
I'd suggest starting with the following;

A 240-270MM Gyuto based on size preference. I use 240 the most at home but in a professional kitchen 270 is the norm.
A petty in the 120mm range.

Those two knives alone will take you a very long ways. You do not need to buy a set or even the same brand. From there I'd expand to a sujihiki or slicer of choice, a chinese cleaver and a bread knife. Mac probably has the best value going in a bread knife.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html

Do you go with the ES option? What style handle works best?

Last edited by EDMHUNTER; 03/10/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a set of Henkels that are ground blades, made in Spain. I paid $175 or so for a 7 piece set. Of course a 7 piece counts the sharpening stick and block as pieces, so 5 knives.

I have a 10" Dexter Russell chef's knife at my Mom's house and cook there for her and her 4 sisters every day. I do 99% of my cutting tasks with that knife. They only use little paring knives and I'll grab one from time to time to peel and core an apple or something. A 10" chef's knife will kick butt in most situations. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I think a 10" chef's knife, a paring knife, and a flexible boning knife will do everything you could possibly want to do.

Dexter Russell Sani Safe knives will do everything you ever wanted a knife to do. If you want better looking, lighter and maybe a little better knives, the Spanish made Henkels are light, thin, and you can get them shaving sharp.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stetson
...Shun's are fine if you have an affinity for Suminagashi clad blades but the geometry and handles are miserable for a working knife...

Not sure we're talking about the same Shun, but the geometry and handle on my Ken Onion Shun 8" chef's knife seems typical of higher end Japanese knives: straight, oval-cross section wood (pakka?) handle w/ heavy through-shank. Very natural geometry and EZ to grip and control, though the grip is smooth and straight, and not contoured to the hand, like most European designs.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who makes the best kitchen knives?

My wife uses:

Kramer

Wilson

Carter

Krein

Sawtooth

in various styles. The best "sets" were probably from the late George Tichbourne , or Wusthoff Forged Classics reground to flatten the bolsters and distal taper the blades to a base .115 down to nearly a zero grind edge.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER

Do you go with the ES option? What style handle works best?

Sorry for the very belated response. I've never used the ES service from Koki and unless you are buying a very high end knife or have no sharpening ability I'd never pay some one else to sharpen my knife.
No one handle style is "best" IMO. It's just personal preference. I've become quite fond of octaginal WA handles. The "D" style is my least favorite. Western handles are available in many J-knives so you should have no trouble finding a handle you like in most brands.

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Which handles hold up best in the dishwasher? My wood handled knives are taking a real beating from repeated cycles in the dishwasher.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
journeyman you really have great kitchen knives. doubletap it's a good idea to immediately clean & dry by hand all good knives. dishwashers cause items to bang against each other which dulls the edges & ruins quality handle material. cranky72

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by doubletap
Which handles hold up best in the dishwasher? My wood handled knives are taking a real beating from repeated cycles in the dishwasher.

Doubletap, you'd be in trouble at my house if you put a knife in the dish washer.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubletap

[Linked Image]

Oh man, don't beat up your good knives in a dishwasher.

My main chef's knife, a laminated 8" Ken Onion Shun, has been in daily use for (IIRC) 3 years without ever touching up the cutting edge. The edge holding ability has me spellbound and I am helpless to resist the urge to see how long it will hold a keen edge. Except for the patina of fine scratches in the blade's soft outer layers, it still looks new. Well, there are a few nicks and rubs.

Here's why:

*It is stored by itself, with no danger of touching anything metal.

*Every time it gets used, it cuts only the food, and always on a plastic board (because that's what I like to use).

* The moment cutting ceases, it is rinsed, dried and put away.

Just say no to knife abuse. eek

Last edited by pal; 12/29/12.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
^^^^Word.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,292
Posts18,505,267
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.