Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I would like to try a linguini with clams recipe which calls for a dry white wine....not knowing anything much about wine can a very dry sherry be substituted?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
trh I know you peeked laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, but use about 2/3, or less, than what it calls for and sample it before you use all of it. Sherry is far more bold than a dry white wine. The flavor won't be the same but it's not too bad either.

Better yet, go to the liquor store and buy a 1/2 size bottle or a pint size "juice box" of white wine.

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks! Please splain the difference between the 2 if you can in layman's terms

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's similar, but not the same, as the difference between a Coor's Light and an amber ... sort of.

On occasion I'll substitute dry sherry for other types of wine when cooking and when I don't want to buy a full bottle. The thing about dry sherry is it keeps for years without going bad. Any other type of wine goes off in weeks unless it's white wine and you store in the fridge. Even then it still has a limited shelf life.

In some dishes a bolder dry sherry is preferred. In lighter dishes a subtle dry white wine goes better. In linguini with clams, since it uses lots of garlic, a little bit less than what's called for of the slightly bolder sherry will work.

I don't use wine when I make clams but I have substituted the two types of wine in shrimp scampi which is very similar to clam sauce.

IC B2

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks brother....the recipe just calls for wine. Thought I would try it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Fish Head said, it will work, but back off on the amount. Maybe even cut it with some chicken stock. Probably good with both wine or sherry, but you really should give both a try and see what you like. I would bet a dry white like chardonnay or a sauvignon blanc would be much better.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
As Fish Head said, it will work, but back off on the amount. Maybe even cut it with some chicken stock. Probably good with both wine or sherry, but you really should give both a try and see what you like. I would bet a dry white like chardonnay or a sauvignon blanc would be much better.

I bet a good chardonnay or sauvigon blanc would be better too. After all when you use what you want in the recipe you drink the rest. laugh

Quando Omni Moritati
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by eh76
I would like to try a linguini with clams recipe which calls for a dry white wine....not knowing anything much about wine can a very dry sherry be substituted?

Generally, when a recipe calls for "dry white wine", they're usually talking about an inexpensive Chablis wine which "works". However, if you "know" wines, there is usually a better wine to substitute for plain ol' Chablis which is a mixture of about "everything" left over in white wine vats.

Unfortunately, dumping an 8 oz. cup or so of a wine you love to drink into a sauce or whatever often sorta "bothers" me... I'd rather DRINK it outta a glass with a stem, buttttttttt... I've been known to use a fair amount of a good Gewurztraminer (but NEVER a Chateau St. Jean Gewurztraminer! That would be almost "illegal"!!!) or maybe a nice Beringer Merlot in a recipe that called for a wine. Like Chateau St. Jean, I've never had a "bad" Beringer wine, they're a great vineyard.

As to your linquini with clams recipe, I suggest you try a Chateau St. Michelle Gewurztraminer... it should add a nice flavor to that dinner. While it's no Chateau St. Jean, it's still a decent Gewurtz which would do well with your linquini w/clams and be a very nice wine to serve with dinner as well since it is very reasonably priced at about $9.00 a bottle. Buy 2 bottles, one to cook with and drink while you're cooking (I call it "Chef's Sauce") and the other to serve with dinner.

Part of the "fun" with wines is finding those "cool" bargains and Chateau St. Michelle Gewurztraminer is one of those "bargains" I found a few years ago... well, maybe a tad longer ago than that.... smile !

In fact, I have a bottle of it "cooling" in the refrigerator right now because I plan to make a big pot of Chili later today and I'll be needing some "Chef's Sauce" while I cook... YUMMMMMMM! Of course, if I feel "spendy", I buy the Chateau St. Jean's Gewurztraminer at $17-$18 a bottle... it is SOOOOOO good!!! grin

Enjoy your linquini w/ clams... and the wine as well. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I buy the 4 packs of small Sutter Home brand white wine. I think they are like 6 ounces.
You can even leave the wine out all together. I don't even like wine, and other than cooking with the stuff, I never have any on hand.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/23/13.

Sam......

IC B3

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yep they had that for $3 a bottle..I bought a $9 bottle of Chardonnay...didn't cook the meal yet as I injured my foot at work ( no I didn't file a claim ) it hurts bad enough I don't feel like standing when I get home.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My wife's name is Sherri. I just sample her and drink the wine. laugh cool

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Yep they had that for $3 a bottle..I bought a $9 bottle of Chardonnay...didn't cook the meal yet as I injured my foot at work ( no I didn't file a claim ) it hurts bad enough I don't feel like standing when I get home.

Did you make it or throw out rotten clams?

Sean
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
fresh clam here? Shirley you jest.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I often use a dry Vermouth in place of white wine. I keep a bottle near the stove and sip the good stuff. I thought I was alone in this, but Cooks Illustrated did an article on it a while back. Their favorite cooking vermouth was also the least expensive. They like Gallo, believe it or not. It's less pronounced than say Noily Pratt.... I use that sometimes if the recipe calls for mushrooms though.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
(Oooops..... No need to post it twice.)

Last edited by meddybemps; 05/28/13.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I often use a dry Vermouth in place of white wine.

I don't know what vermouth is. Must be wine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pictures?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since alcohol boils away at a much lower temp I have found that a good wine vinegar will substitute for for wine in most all cases.

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.