Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hope to get out of there before end of September; bow season opens 10/15 down here. Wife and I enjoy Oceanside as well as moutains. More rural than urban but do like a few fine dining opportunities. She likes sailboats, I might like to fish at least once. We both enjoy photography. B&B's would work or oceanside motels. We also enjoy art. Like tovisit places the locals like; especially food.
thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 08/16/13.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
OK. Stand by. I'll get back to you. I have a suggestion or fifty.

wink

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Dining - check out the Woodshed in Moultonboro, NH, the Italian Farmhouse in Ashland, NH, Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, Maine. Newicks for basic but good seafood as well.

For Photography both Portsmouth, NH, Portland, Maine, etc. are great choices. If very old buildings are your thing, check out Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
OK. Stand by. I'll get back to you. I have a suggestion or fifty.

wink

Yep, I did not narrow it down much, did I?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd camp at NHK9's and Kamo Gari's places! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Fair enough.....but I'm locking up my bacon! Justice for Jerry.

Were it me, I'd go further north (I know, surprising wink ). Umbagog, Pittsburg, etc.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
My inclination is also to go north

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Make the drive up to Lopstick in Pittsburg and stay right across from the 1st Conn.Lake. Stop in Beantown first, though, if you fly in there. I would make different recommendations depending on which way you were to head north (93 vs 16).

Either way, I'd hit the White Mtns. The north country, Coos in particular, us my old stomping ground. Let me know what you want to do and I'm glad to help once I'm at a real computer instead of my phone.

Given your date range, I might be up there bear hunting. I'd be happy to buy a few rounds.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 08/16/13. Reason: damn autocorrect

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you could just drop by and have a beer with the man on us!

NRA Lifetime Member
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Could be the high point of the trip!

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
One more bump for suggestions
thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Delta flies into L.I. McArthur airport. Drive out east on the North Fork of L.I.
"Wine Country" now. But great beaches & cool stuff,very gorgeous.
Excellent fishing out of Orient Pt. in Sept.
Then take the Cross Sound Ferry out of Orient Pt. & hit Conn (New London),across the Thames River is Groton & you can check out a nuke submarine I think. More cool stuff,in Conn. too. Then R.I , Newport /Mansions. Then off to Boston & more Mass. stuff. After that then on North.
We love Boston ,I'd def. make that a stop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cruiser, you haven't got ONE piece of bad directions. HOWEVER, IF'N I wuz you, I'd make sure to stop and hit up George and Leighton for a couple of cocktails or a barley pop or three grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lots of good advice here. I've lived in NE my whole life, and would suggest hitting the coastal Maine communities (Camden, Freeport, Boothbay), Acadia Nat'l Park (Bar Harbor), the White Mountains, and some of the Maine or NH lakes regions (Rangeley, Laconia, Sebago).

New England is quite different North to South. Seems like all the folks from Mass & Connecticut vacation in Maine, NH and VT. I think there is a good reason for this.

Ready, Fire, Aim
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

really depends on what you're looking to do and how long you're planning on staying.

Mid September you may be okay for hotels, but the closer you get to end of September/October you may have a harder time finding hotels due to the leaf peepers. I'd look to see what's available for hotels before you book your flights.

Flying in and out of MHT (Manchester NH) or BOS will likely be your cheapest flight options for Northern New England. Others to price out would be Burlington VT and Portland Maine. Flying with points may limit you as well so check multiple airports.

If I wanted to see the coast and the mountains I'd look to fly in to MHT or BOS and head up the coast of Maine to Portland, Freeport maybe Bar Harbor if you have time. I'd then head cross country to the White Mountains in NH and if time permitted over into the Green Mountains of Vermont. Lot's small towns to stop in and wander, shop, etc.

If heading to Southern N.E. I'd be sure to spend time in Boston, get to Cape Cod and over to R.I. a bit.

+1 from a lifelong Vermonter. Very good advice here.

Delta does fly to BTV (Burlington, VT) This is really your choice: northern N.E. or southern N.E. The mountains vs the ocean; rural/small town vs greater Boston and the Cape. Both are enjoyable, but largely different character. The only place that you can get both the mountains AND the ocean is the Camden, ME (midcoast ME) area, and it is spectacular....not to mention the fresh seafood!

Last edited by mrchongo; 08/21/13.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
Lots of good advice here. I've lived in NE my whole life, and would suggest hitting the coastal Maine communities (Camden, Freeport, Boothbay), Acadia Nat'l Park (Bar Harbor), the White Mountains, and some of the Maine or NH lakes regions (Rangeley, Laconia, Sebago).

New England is quite different North to South. Seems like all the folks from Mass & Connecticut vacation in Maine, NH and VT. I think there is a good reason for this.

+1!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Alaska

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by temmi
Go to Alaska

Snake

Do you have to go through Vermont to get there?

Its on the bucket list; just not this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by temmi
Go to Alaska

Snake

Do you have to go through Vermont to get there?

Its on the bucket list; just not this year.

Ive been to Vermont and I've been to Alaska

I would go back to Alaska

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Going to college up there, New England isn't that big... in ratio to other places, and you really don't have to go far to see anything really cool and historical... its overloaded with so much, I really think the locals overlook it all...

hit it when the leaves are turning color, especially in Northern New England, it can be pretty breath taking..

its the tourist version of a target rich environment...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 6MMWASP, 300_savage, Akhutr, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 891 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,254
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.