Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody have any experience loading Bismuth shot? I've acquired a ton of info but would like to talk with someone who has actually done it. At $12/lb. I don't want to go through too many experimental shells!

I'm planning mainly to stick with low pressure, 1200fps, 1 1/4oz. loads, #2 shot for close-in decoyed geese with a couple of old L.C.Smith's. Maybe a little hotter 1 3/8oz. load in the Browning o/u.

Some sources reccomend buffering the shot. Other's don't even mention it. Who to believe?

Sources for the stuff other than the big distributors?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple friends and I went in and bought some loose shot about 8 years ago. One of the guys did end up reloading some. He used no buffering, and it patterned well enough for shooting ducks over decoys. I will probably try reloading some when I get home. The latest Hodgen manual, looks like a magazine, has a bunch of bismuth data, all un-buffered.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the reply Hawk Driver. When I get my loads worked up I'll let you know what I came up with.

Keep your head down and come home safe. Thanks to all of you guys.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistic Products has a Bismuth loading manual at

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=00MBZM

I haven't seen it, so I can't tell you whether it is useful or not. I've bought lots of shotgun related products from BP though and they are a good company.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did buy the Bismuth manual from BP, dont remember being too impressed with it. This was 5-6 years ago. Most of the components, IIRC, weren't run of the mill, hulls, wads, powders, that kind of stuff. Since it was BP's manual, most of the stuff was only available thru them. I havent looked at it since right after I got it, so I could be wrong, but I know I wasnt too impressed and never did load any shells with bismuth.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Last time I looked it was cheaper to by Bismuth loaded shotshels than to try and load them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy had the latest Hogden Annual, it had some loads with more common components, unbuffered, no mylar wraps or shot cards. I am going to try some of those when we get home, which will be about the first week of duck season. It should be alot cheaper than buying the loaded shells. I bought my jug of shot in 97 or 98, for 65 bucks. Wish I could buy a couple more at that price.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have loaded it in the 28 gauge using data from Reloading for Shotgunners, 4th edition, from DBI books. The components are standard. I found that Bismuth doesn't like speed even when buffered. Maybe it's just my gun but the more sedate loads, buffered included, patterned much better than the faster loads. I know one gun is not enough to form any conclusions but am passing on my limited experience. Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,215
Posts18,524,395
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.