Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
You can tell it's a Biesen by the stock shape and styling almost immediately.

First I am not a gunsmith and have ONLY seen pics of JOC's guns and Al B's. I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. It looks like a Biesen to me and am not arguing.

My main point---I know hundreds of people in Ar and @ 1/2 of those hunt deer.

I don't know ONE (1) person "personally" in Ar. who would have ANY idea of who Al. B is, much less that he made rifles.

There are SO many hunters that are NOT gun loonies, rifle loonies, shooting loonies, they just hunt!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Gosh darn! That's a dream rifle right there. The rifle just looks ready to hammer high country deer and elk!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would put it on consignment in a well stocked shop. Fees vary, so beware. My favorite dealer that can move high end items charges a nominal 10%. When I disposed of an estate in this manner, another high end dealer asked 20%, still another wanted 30%, and Cabela's asked 40%, + the gun library manager wanted a personal sweetheart deal on a matched pair of full engraved, ivory stocked Colt's SAAs. Yikes!

Needless to say, the ten percenter got the deal on almost 100K of pretty nice stuff. He made money with no investment and the kids got it all. They did gift me a couple of guns for my efforts in dispersing the entire estate, not just guns.

You can set a price, or some dealers might let it float while entertaining offers. ,

Best wishes,

Jack

Not a writer, just a guy who has been there and done that.

Last edited by jt402; 05/10/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwall

First I am not a gunsmith and have ONLY seen pics of JOC's guns and Al B's. I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. It looks like a Biesen to me and am not arguing.

I don't know ONE (1) person "personally" in Ar. who would have ANY idea of who Al. B is, much less that he made rifles.

There are SO many hunters that are NOT gun loonies, rifle loonies, shooting loonies, they just hunt!

Jerry

Jerry that's all true. I have many friends who would not know a Biesen from a Goens if they fell and hit them in the head. frown

Unfortunately (depending how you look at it) my earliest mentors back into my college days,had many custom rifles floating through the shop I frequented. Many were Biesen and Goens rifles,also G&H, Phil Pilkington, Duane Wiebe,Len Brownell,and many others.

Plus I have owned a few by these people myself, so the style jumps out at me....as it does many others who have grown up and old looking at them.

I mean, who would NOT recognize JOC's rifle? wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No question about what shop that gun came out of! Spot the comb shape and checkering pattern from a mile away if you are "into" custom rifles. The cartridge chambering will likely detract a bit from the value, and some folks will not like it because it isn't a M70 but a call to Champlin Arms or other high end resellers should get you a ball park figure.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll up the bid to both of Steve and Bob's balls and one year of server security from Hillary.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I'll up the bid to both of Steve and Bob's balls and one year of server security from Hillary.

wink

smile

280: Good deal.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Getting somewhere around $4k for that rifle seems about right,although the cost to have something similar built would be 2-3x as much. I fear there will be more fine rifles coming to market in the years to come than there are new buyers to keep the prices up. None of my son's, or their friends, would trade a testical for that gun. (For which my wife, an impatient grandma in waiting, is grateful.)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
utah we are a different breed from a different time.... smile

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Yep. I read JOC for hours. My sons played first person shooter games with modern/fantasy weapons. Milliron, Biesen, Burgess, Fisher, Brownell, Sedgely, walnut, Pre-64 will mean nothing to them.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I do believe I would give my right ball for that rifle.

WOW!!!

Blessings,

Steve

Steve:

Do you have any left that you haven't already traded for other custom rifles? smile smile

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Al Biesen was a true craftsman!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sir...you have a wonderful collection. I truly hope that its nothing negative forcing you to sell off such trophies...

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is one on GB and yours is in a lot better shape. Very nice indeed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=557926463

MAGA! This is the way!
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm at
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Jerry that's all true. I have many friends who would not know a Biesen from a Goens if they fell and hit them in the head. frown

Unfortunately (depending how you look at it) my earliest mentors back into my college days,had many custom rifles floating through the shop I frequented. Many were Biesen and Goens rifles,also G&H, Phil Pilkington, Duane Wiebe,Len Brownell,and many others.

Plus I have owned a few by these people myself, so the style jumps out at me....as it does many others who have grown up and old looking at them.

I mean, who would NOT recognize JOC's rifle? wink

Well Bob you taught me something. I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I ask because once upon a time I was told to make an offer on an alleged Al Biesen rifle. My first two questions were:

1.) Who the fugk is Al Biesen?
2.) How do you know Al Biesen made it?

He could only answer the first question so I didn't bother with it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cdb
..... I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.

cdb: Dale Goens, Cedar Crest, New Mexico.

A contemporary of Biesen, Len Brownell, and others of that time period.

Excellent stock maker. I owned two by Dale and friends of mine owned several others.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by cdb
..... I'm very familiar with Al, his son and granddaughter but I'd never heard of Goens.

cdb: Dale Goens, Cedar Crest, New Mexico.

A contemporary of Biesen, Len Brownell, and others of that time period.

Excellent stock maker. I owned two by Dale and friends of mine owned several others.

Never had the pleasure of owning a Goens rifle, but I did get to meet Dale a couple of times before he passed on. Interesting guy - big man, around 6'4". Was a steel guitarist in Western Swing bands out of Oklahoma in his younger days.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 05/12/16.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a Biesen rifle on gun broker now for 4500.00. It's a model 70 with a left hand cheek piece.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hanco
There is a Biesen rifle on gun broker now for 4500.00. It's a model 70 with a left hand cheek piece.

That's a nice one. There's another on there for $2900. Mauser action in .308 Win. Very plain wood.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, AGL4now, 11 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,880
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.