Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I personally wouldn't bother with 2520 either. I hate ball powder.

Having bought a 200 pound container of ball WC852, I get small groups and not bad in the heat out of it. It was cheap enough at the time. Maybe 3 bucks or 4 bucks a pound IIRC. Its won a lot of smaller matches. I get good groups 223, 308 etc... out of it. Really good out of 22-250.

TAC is a really good ball powder too.

That said I go on performance rather than just its ball so it meters nice. Like 748. Fast. fairly accurate but so temp sensitive I have no use for it.

RE TMK I heard early on folks not impressed, but there may have been a learning curve. If matches would open up I'd like to just go watch on at our original range in TX just to see whats going on these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I've always had lightly better accuracy with the Sierra 77's than the 75. But, the 75's still shoot good in my rifles and are a good bit cheaper, so that's usually what I keep mags filled with. 24gr of TAC and LC brass has never been a bad load for me.

If I were looking for a dedicated hunting bullet though, I'd probably go with the 77TMK.

Good intel WE. Thank you.

That is good intel. It seems like the consensus is the 75gr Hornady is less accurate than the 77 sierra in any flavor (SMK/TMK)... I just got some Hornady 75gr HPBT to play around with. I'm anxious to try the load that old guy from my club gave me. He swears by it and he actually shoots that 75gr load pretty well... This has been a good thread with lots of info on some of the heavier bullets.. I'll let you guys know how well my loads shoot. Probably not this weekend, but the one after next. Have a rimfire competition to go to this saturday..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've always had lightly better accuracy with the Sierra 77's than the 75. But, the 75's still shoot good in my rifles and are a good bit cheaper, so that's usually what I keep mags filled with. 24gr of TAC and LC brass has never been a bad load for me.

If I were looking for a dedicated hunting bullet though, I'd probably go with the 77TMK.

That is good intel. It seems like the consensus is the 75gr Hornady is less accurate than the 77 sierra in any flavor (SMK/TMK)... I just got some Hornady 75gr HPBT to play around with. I'm anxious to try the load that old guy from my club gave me. He swears by it and he actually shoots that 75gr load pretty well... This has been a good thread with lots of info on some of the heavier bullets.. I'll let you guys know how well my loads shoot. Probably not this weekend, but the one after next. Have a rimfire competition to go to this saturday..

I hit pay dirt with ARcomp and RL 15 the other day.. I do recall now my real bad accuracy with 2520 involved 69gr bullets. One good thing you can always find 2520 in a pinch.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I hit pay dirt with ARcomp and RL 15 the other day.. I do recall now my real bad accuracy with 2520 involved 69gr bullets. One good thing you can always find 2520 in a pinch.

Well that is great news. You know i like AR Comp. Ill cross my fingers with the 2520. We will see.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great stuff. I need to try some AR COMP. Sounds like it’s A great one!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course, YMMV, but what I've seen a lot of HP shooters say about 77SMK vs 75BTHP is that the 75 usually has a wider ES, but a better Mean Radius.
In the end, it's what your barrel likes, but the target is big enough that ES vs MR is usually a wash. In my experience, at my skill levels at the time, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

ETA: One trick of the trade is to seat 75BTHP short, like from 2.15" to 2.23".

Last edited by Tyrone; 05/06/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Of course, YMMV, but what I've seen a lot of HP shooters say about 77SMK vs 75BTHP is that the 75 usually has a wider ES, but a better Mean Radius.
In the end, it's what your barrel likes, but the target is big enough that ES vs MR is usually a wash. In my experience, at my skill levels at the time, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

ETA: One trick of the trade is to seat 75BTHP short, like from 2.15" to 2.23".

Thanks buddy, ill give that a try. If i can get consistent 1 moa from my Noveske, ill be pretty happy. Have you noticed which bullet shoots better at 400+ yards?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 80s beyond 300

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot 80s beyond 300

Which 80’s?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I shoot 80s beyond 300

What twist rate? In your krieger with CLE chamber, im assuming

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I am old fashioned. I am going to start with game bullets on game animals until testing shows I can't get the accuracy I want. It shouldn't take much to find a game bullet that will hit a pig sized target at reasonable distances. That's not really a task that demands match grade accuracy. That said, I completely get the infatuation with precision accuracy. I am just getting started on reloading with the goal of a very accurate game load and chose the 223 Accubond as my starting point. I scanned through this thread, was their any mention of it?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I guess I am old fashioned. I am going to start with game bullets on game animals until testing shows I can't get the accuracy I want. It shouldn't take much to find a game bullet that will hit a pig sized target at reasonable distances. That's not really a task that demands match grade accuracy. That said, I completely get the infatuation with precision accuracy. I am just getting started on reloading with the goal of a very accurate game load and chose the 223 Accubond as my starting point. I scanned through this thread, was their any mention of it?

Most here are after a bullet with a decent bc that can get them to the 600yd line.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am really late to the thread but I stocked up on 75 BTHP's and Amax's and tried for many years to shoot at least 1.5 MOA consistently out of multiple 16"-20" rifles, builds, and barrels including a stock LE6920 and a PSA 10.5". Barrels included a heavy WOA, pencil Faxon, Medium AR Performance, BHW and BCA. About a year ago I left the range so pissed off I called a buddy and said I was probably going to lose my A$$ but part out 7 and call it quits.

After I cooled off I searched Molon's ammo accuracy posts on AR15 and one of the most accurate factory rounds was the 68 or 69 SMK GMM so I ordered ten boxes.

Went back to the range and every single fk'n AR shot less than 1.5" five shot groups, even the 10.5" PSA, the best range trip EVER with not just one, but every one I own.

I am not ready to give up the 75 BTHP's but certainly look at other bullets and based on at least one post earlier, make make sure I am not pushing them too hard.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 80s beyond 300

What twist rate? In your krieger with CLE chamber, im assuming
At this point, I refuse to shoot anything looser than a 7" twist. It's not worth the risk of getting a barrel that won't shoot anything more exotic than a Sierra 80. I mostly shoot the very twist-friendly Nosler and Sierra 80, but I also shoot a lot of Berger 80 VLDs. Usually, all of those are fine in an 8, but you have to be careful with button barrels. Sometimes their twist isn't as advertised and you get a barrel that doesn't like 80s, especially the VLD. I have a 7.7" Krieger that I'm trying to sort out, it doesn't seem to like anything over 77gr.

I plan on trying the new, heavier bullets too, like the 85 RDF. It would be stupid to run those in an 8".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Most here are after a bullet with a decent bc that can get them to the 600yd line.

I just compared the .370 BC 70 grain Accubond and the .395 75 gr Hornady BTHP the OP asked about. I gave the 70 gr 2900 fps and the 75 2800 fps out of the gate. I also piddled with some other realistic starting velocities within 50 fps of each other. There's an inconsequential difference in drop and drift at 600 yards. Now the question is which bullet would you count on to work well on a pig at all distances out to 600 yards? The match bullet or the hunting bullet? Frankly I don't like the Accubond beyond 450 or so, but I like it as well as the Match. I like the Accubond much better out to 450.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDW
I am really late to the thread but I stocked up on 75 BTHP's and Amax's and tried for many years to shoot at least 1.5 MOA consistently out of multiple 16"-20" rifles, builds, and barrels including a stock LE6920 and a PSA 10.5". Barrels included a heavy WOA, pencil Faxon, Medium AR Performance, BHW and BCA. About a year ago I left the range so pissed off I called a buddy and said I was probably going to lose my A$$ but part out 7 and call it quits.

After I cooled off I searched Molon's ammo accuracy posts on AR15 and one of the most accurate factory rounds was the 68 or 69 SMK GMM so I ordered ten boxes.

Went back to the range and every single fk'n AR shot less than 1.5" five shot groups, even the 10.5" PSA, the best range trip EVER with not just one, but every one I own.

I am not ready to give up the 75 BTHP's but certainly look at other bullets and based on at least one post earlier, make make sure I am not pushing them too hard.

I would have been pissed too. All of my ar15's shoot better than moa consistently, for 10 shots. Except for my Noveske. But that one hangs right in there a hair over moa. Im wondering if your handloading practices are skewed? Something doesnt sound right.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The 75BTHP and the 77TMK both behave like game bullets on game. I couldn’t care less about BC, I shoot critters year round and targets almost never. I’m not certain on the TMK but the BTHP is cheaper than “game” bullets of the same weight and behaves like it was made to be shot into pigs instead of tiny groups. Just because it doesn’t have a deer on the side of the box doesn’t mean it isn’t a good hunting bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive had good luck shooting 75 btsp in an ar varmint rifle. I run varget. I have not tried the 77, but again with accuracy and price of 75's I reallly have no need to.

Last edited by Esox357; 05/07/20.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW

I would have been pissed too. All of my ar15's shoot better than moa consistently, for 10 shots. Except for my Noveske. But that one hangs right in there a hair over moa. Im wondering if your handloading practices are skewed? Something doesnt sound right.

I am going to agree with user error somewhere in the AR loading process, just have not pinned down what yet. Can drag the Montana 223, Fieldcraft or Chunk along and shoot sub-MOA ten shot groups at the same sitting.

Dave

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid

The 75BTHP and the 77TMK both behave like game bullets on game. I couldn’t care less about BC, I shoot critters year round and targets almost never. I’m not certain on the TMK but the BTHP is cheaper than “game” bullets of the same weight and behaves like it was made to be shot into pigs instead of tiny groups. Just because it doesn’t have a deer on the side of the box doesn’t mean it isn’t a good hunting bullet.

Man go catch some carp or something.. lol

Last edited by 79S; 05/07/20.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,866
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.