Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RDW
I am really late to the thread but I stocked up on 75 BTHP's and Amax's and tried for many years to shoot at least 1.5 MOA consistently out of multiple 16"-20" rifles, builds, and barrels including a stock LE6920 and a PSA 10.5". Barrels included a heavy WOA, pencil Faxon, Medium AR Performance, BHW and BCA. About a year ago I left the range so pissed off I called a buddy and said I was probably going to lose my A$$ but part out 7 and call it quits.

After I cooled off I searched Molon's ammo accuracy posts on AR15 and one of the most accurate factory rounds was the 68 or 69 SMK GMM so I ordered ten boxes.

Went back to the range and every single fk'n AR shot less than 1.5" five shot groups, even the 10.5" PSA, the best range trip EVER with not just one, but every one I own.

I am not ready to give up the 75 BTHP's but certainly look at other bullets and based on at least one post earlier, make make sure I am not pushing them too hard.

I would have been pissed too. All of my ar15's shoot better than moa consistently, for 10 shots. Except for my Noveske. But that one hangs right in there a hair over moa. Im wondering if your handloading practices are skewed? Something doesnt sound right.

In Iraq or Afghanistan no one gives a chit about moa lol.. shoot and shoot more get that mother ph ucking 240B rocking and M2 and get the ph uck out of dodge.. both completely different circumstances we here can control our environment. Over there you can’t..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
I am really late to the thread but I stocked up on 75 BTHP's and Amax's and tried for many years to shoot at least 1.5 MOA consistently out of multiple 16"-20" rifles, builds, and barrels including a stock LE6920 and a PSA 10.5". Barrels included a heavy WOA, pencil Faxon, Medium AR Performance, BHW and BCA. About a year ago I left the range so pissed off I called a buddy and said I was probably going to lose my A$$ but part out 7 and call it quits.

After I cooled off I searched Molon's ammo accuracy posts on AR15 and one of the most accurate factory rounds was the 68 or 69 SMK GMM so I ordered ten boxes.

Went back to the range and every single fk'n AR shot less than 1.5" five shot groups, even the 10.5" PSA, the best range trip EVER with not just one, but every one I own.

I am not ready to give up the 75 BTHP's but certainly look at other bullets and based on at least one post earlier, make make sure I am not pushing them too hard.

What chambers are they 5.56? Or 223 Wylde?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sure all are Wylde, 8 twist or better but I will have to check on the PSA 10.5

Dave

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RDW

I would have been pissed too. All of my ar15's shoot better than moa consistently, for 10 shots. Except for my Noveske. But that one hangs right in there a hair over moa. Im wondering if your handloading practices are skewed? Something doesnt sound right.

In Iraq or Afghanistan no one gives a chit about moa lol.. shoot and shoot more get that mother ph ucking 240B rocking and M2 and get the ph uck out of dodge.. both completely different circumstances we here can control our environment. Over there you can’t..

Dont start having flashbacks man. Call your ptsd counselor

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RDW

No flashbacks, we all strive for accuracy.

Last edited by 79S; 05/07/20.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RDW

Just checking. Im glad to hear it. I was hoping you hadnt joined the merry ferry band of rock shooters here.. or the "oh, thats good enough" crew.. grin . I have a story to tell you about how my savage predator was shooting at 400 yards the other day....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW

I am going to agree with user error somewhere in the AR loading process, just have not pinned down what yet. Can drag the Montana 223, Fieldcraft or Chunk along and shoot sub-MOA ten shot groups at the same sitting.

Or. twist rate?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by RDW

I am going to agree with user error somewhere in the AR loading process, just have not pinned down what yet. Can drag the Montana 223, Fieldcraft or Chunk along and shoot sub-MOA ten shot groups at the same sitting.

Or. twist rate?

Originally Posted by RDW
Pretty sure all are Wylde, 8 twist or better but I will have to check on the PSA 10.5

Dave

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
8 twist should stabilize the bullets in the op easily. Hopefully my earlier post didnt come off as rude, but in my experience there has been no factory load that i cant beat with my handloads. Thats the nice thing about loading your own. You can tailor the load for a particular rifle. Generally its not hard to do either.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
77smks are harder to stablize than 80 smks. And for that some other 80s also. FWIW which is why I asked twist.

My buddy still shoots 20 inch 9 twist with his 80s because he can't get BR rules out of his head. LOL. But even he says has to be a true twist and have to run em hard and harder most of the time.

Get a 77 or a long bullet and have a bit slower speeds mixed with unstable air and a twist thats half a turn or so off and you could be pretty iffy IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's fair enough rost. I was seeing some of that the other day with my bolt gun. Shooting at 400 yards and the 77TMK not stabilizing. I was hoping that mo fo would shoot like a lazer beam.. Not so much. I really wish that rifle had a 1 in 8 instead of a 1 in 9!!!!! It shoots the 77TMK pretty good at 100 yards though.. I guess the only sure fire way to see what they are going to do at distance is to shoot them at distance...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RDW

Just checking. Im glad to hear it. I was hoping you hadnt joined the merry ferry band of rock shooters here.. or the "oh, thats good enough" crew.. grin . I have a story to tell you about how my savage predator was shooting at 400 yards the other day....

I saw that it’s good enough crew if full when I was in Colorado

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sometimes good enough is good enough, unless it isn't...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey 79s, I loaded up some 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets tonight. They look great. Now I hope they shoot as good as they look. I may shoot some tomorrow after my rimfire match.. I'm curious to see how they are going to do...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey 79s, I loaded up some 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullets tonight. They look great. Now I hope they shoot as good as they look. I may shoot some tomorrow after my rimfire match.. I'm curious to see how they are going to do...

Same here BSA, what was your load with them?

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
@79S,

John, where did you end up with the RL-15 load?

Lake City brass?, what primer and OAL?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
@79S,

Can I guess?
24gr @ 2.24"

Politics is War by Other Means
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
@79S,

I haven’t messed with them since, I’m off chasing a load for my 375 H&H for my fall Kodiak bear hunt. Looks like I have it figured out, with a 300gr tsx.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Same here BSA, what was your load with them?

Well, I loaded up some with the recipe the old guy from my club gave me. Too hot... Ended up with cratered primers. I could tell the load was too hot from the little extra recoil. He said he was running 2750 fps. I'll throw a scope back on the Noveske and work up a load and back off his recipe by 1.5 grains or maybe even a hair more... He said he's running 25.2gr or AA2520. It is possible that either his scale is reading wrong, or maybe mine? I'll run them through the chrono and that will tell me what is going on. With irons on my Noveske, I shot about a 1.75" group. Not great, but a scope and chrono will give me a better idea... I like the bullets though. I think they will work out pretty good. Didn't have to touch the seater I use for my 69gr sierra MK either. The OAL was spot on (2.250"), or close enough for me anyway... Man, the wind was ferrocious today. Blew our target stands over. Mine had rocks on it and it was still waving around in the wind.. I have no idea how I managed 100-8x average with my scoped rifle... Got lucky....

BSA MAGA
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (1badf350, AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,897
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.