Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had a pair of Pentax 8x56s that were quite impressive in low light situations.

Heavy enough that a tripod was more useful for overcoming fatigue than the shakes at 8x

Not phase corrected, so they weren’t optically competitive, but No complaints mechanically.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why is their twilight factor 1/2 that of a 15x56 Swarovski?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

What makes you think that?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwp475

Reading spec sheets from both binos. Are you a tract salesperson? 16.2 vs 29.9 you can google it . Hopefully it is a misprint because that is a good amount of difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Reading spec sheets from both binos. Are you a tract salesperson? 16.2 vs 29.9 you can google it . Hopefully it is a misprint because that is a good amount of difference.

Hell No I'm not a sales person

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

Last edited by jwp475; 08/18/21.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective lens and the magnifying power of the binocular. [For example, an 8x32 binocular would have a twilight factor of 16, and a 10x42 would have a twilight factor of 20.5.

However, in a modern binocular, performance in dim light depends more on the quality of the optical coatings than on the twilight factor formula. Good coatings can double the amount of light that gets through the binocular.

If you pick up an old binocular from the 40s, or a cheap, low-quality binocular, you'll see very poor performance in dim light. Then look through a modern, top-quality binocular with the same magnification and lens size, and see how much brighter and clearer the image is, despite the fact that both binoculars have the same twilight factor rating.

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then why such a big difference?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then it is a big factor, especially when people buy these binos to spot game in LOW LIGHT.

If you know what it is and how it's calculated then why the these 2 stupid posts?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then it is a big factor, especially when people buy these binos to spot game in LOW LIGHT.

If you know what it is and how it's calculated then why the these 2 stupid posts?

Are they not the same power range 15x56? Then using the calculation you provided that you googled they should be identical and they are not. Hint, one has way better coatings and well it should since it is double the price. The true test would be to tripod mount both binos in a lowlight setting where game can be spotted and lets see how much detail each provides.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Are they not the same power range 15x56? Then using the calculation you provided that you googled they should be identical and they are not. Hint, one has way better coatings and well it should since it is double the price. The true test would be to tripod mount both binos in a lowlight setting where game can be spotted and lets see how much detail each provides.

Dumb szz they are identical since they are the same size and power. Twilight factor is nothing more than a calculation
You claimed to know all of this. You're ab idiot

Last edited by jwp475; 08/18/21.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How easily you resort to name calling when you lose an argument.

Let me make it easy for you.

Tract 15x56 specs

Swarovski 15x56 specs

SO I guess both these companies don't know how to calculate twilight factor eh?

Putting you on ignore since you can't read a simple spec sheet. DOn't bother responding.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
How easily you resort to name calling when you lose an argument.

Let me make it easy for you.

Tract 15x56 specs

Swarovski 15x56 specs
I
SO I guess both these companies don't know how to calculate twilight factor eh?

Putting you on ignore since you can't read a simple spec sheet.

You dumb azz I haven't lost anything, you didn't read the information that I posted and you keep posting stupid crap

I don't give a rats azx about what is on those sights. They can't calculate different and you would know that if you knew how it is calculated like you claimed

The formula is in the information that I posted above. If you can do the math do it

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I know what Twilight Factor is and how it is calculated. So the quoted twilight factor on the Tract binos is 16+ vs 29+ for the Swaros. Like I said before if it is not a misprint then why such a big difference?

Common sense should tell you there can't possibly be that much disparity between the two. The Tract's Schott UHD glass is exceptionally good and wouldn't allow that. If you put a Swaro SLC HD and a Toric 8x42 side by side on a tripod you'll see very small differences.....picking nits so to speak, and you'll have to look long and hard to pick 'em out. I'd bet $$$ the same is true for the 15's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
28.9827 is the calculated twilight factor of a 15X56 binocular.
This calculation does not tell you of glass quality or lens coatings ability in low light. It is nothing but a calculation.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If 29.827 is the calculated twilight factor of. 15x56 bio, and nothing but a calculation, then why aren't the twilight factors the same for the binos mentioned above?

Swarovski references the twilight factor according to ISO 14132-1. Does that ISO take into account optical coatings?

I realize we are comparing apples and oranges with respect to price of these two mentioned binos, but it also looks to me like we are also comparing apples to oranges on some vino performance too.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mwarren
If 29.827 is the calculated twilight factor of. 15x56 bio, and nothing but a calculation, then why aren't the twilight factors the same for the binos mentioned above?

Swarovski references the twilight factor according to ISO 14132-1. Does that ISO take into account optical coatings?

I realize we are comparing apples and oranges with respect to price of these two mentioned binos, but it also looks to me like we are also comparing apples to oranges on some vino performance too.

Read this and it will answer your question

chrome-distiller://278a5b38-004c-4b03-81aa-893279349b92_808b216e6394e8df12b70a121a28b3f2722f5e15fdd79528a15fcec46c5b102b/?title=Optics+Myth+9+-+%22Twilight+factor%22+is+key+to+performance+in+dim+light&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.birdwatching.com%2Foptics%2Fmyths2006-9.html

Short answer is that twilight factor is calculated and is the same for any binocular that has the same objective diameter and powet.
Doesn't tell you anything about quality of glass or coatings

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

UPS delivered mine @ 9:27 PM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's the after-dark performance.........?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
How's the after-dark performance.........?

Looked very good. Give me a week or so and I'll know more.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,908 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,759
Posts18,535,662
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.