Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Teal
IME - American hunters, especially in the east aren't all that gifted when it comes to estimating distance. When laser rangefinders came out - suddenly a lot of 300 yard field edges became 150.

I get it - back then. Not so much now.

Range finders, chronographs and bore scopes have broke a lot of hearts.

Add weighing scales to that list, too.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As long as the conversation is migrating towards "stories that sound like utter BS but are actually true", I'll throw one out.
My best hunting buddy grew up in Idaho, as did his father before him. His dad worked in forestry so was out amongst the timber all the time. One day during elk season, he came around a curve of a steep sidehill dirt road and saw a fella with his flatbed pulled over next to the uphill side of the track and leaned over the hood of the truck with his rifle pointed up that steep hill into the timber. Dad, stopped and held back so as not to cause trouble for the hunter. Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!
Dad drove on up there and said that was about the darnedest thing he ever saw. Fella says "Yeah, me too!" and then says, "I am begging you to follow me to my camp, 'cause my buddies are never going to believe me when I tell this. Will you please??"
He agreed to go along, kinda putting himself in that guy's position and knowing he was right - nobody would ever believe it.
But then again, how the heck else would a whole, non-dressed, rifle shot bull elk wind up in a single hunter's flatbed?

Cheers,
Rex

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!
Dad drove on up there and said that was about the darnedest thing he ever saw. Fella says "Yeah, me too!" and then says, "I am begging you to follow me to my camp, 'cause my buddies are never going to believe me when I tell this. Will you please??"
He agreed to go along, kinda putting himself in that guy's position and knowing he was right - nobody would ever believe it.
But then again, how the heck else would a whole, non-dressed, rifle shot bull elk wind up in a single hunter's flatbed?

Cheers,
Rex

You mean OTHER than having 2-miles of winch-cable and an Uberlanche?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I shot this buck at 346 yards with a lever action rifle. In the head. While he was walking.

I can believe that. Were you aiming for the head?

Mostly just the mountainside. i thought there might be a deer over there somewhere.

Good strategy. Wherever you go there's always a mountainside to spot and stalk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by horse1
Fella touches her off, and smacks his elk, which proceeds to come bounding downhill, dead on his feet, makes one final jump and lands dead in the back of the flatbed truck!

Cheers,
Rex

You mean OTHER than having 2-miles of winch-cable and an Uberlanche?

We were hunting in SW CO and kept running into a guy from CA on the trail. He told us he had over a mile of kevlar cord and a heavy duty winch on his jeep and if he got an elk he was gonna winch it out. We had a good laugh about that once he was out of earshot. He saw us pack out two elk and kept asking us where he should hunt. After a couple times politely not answering his question, he kept asking so I told him if it was me I'd hunt at "the spring" which was right smack on the trail we were going in and out on, kind of heavily trafficked. I just told him something so he'd quit asking. Well, we were packing out a load of meat and there he was, at the spring with a cow elk down. It was about 3 in the afternoon and he said he got to the spring, sat down, and the cow came right in five minutes later. He thanked me profusely for the tip on where to hunt, if he only knew.

Anyway, my buddy asked him if he was gonna break out the kevlar cord, and he got a sheepish look on his face, said he'd called a friend with horses to help him out. I guess once he had the elk on the ground he figured out the kevlar cord wasn't going to work. If he had it in the first place.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I once shot the hair offn a gnats ass with my turdy turdy at 1,000 yards.,but I was cheatin cause I used a peep site,no bullchit!!!

Last edited by Huntz; 04/25/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of people shoot 200lb whitetail bucks and 300 lb pigs until they by a game scale.................

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Lots of people shoot 200lb whitetail bucks and 300 lb pigs until they by a game scale.................

I knew a guy who swore he shot a blacktail on Vancouver Island that must have weighed over 400 on the hoof, said each side scaled 150 lbs or so on the rail. lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a couple of guys that prefer not to hang out at the local VFWs anymore, because of all of the tall tales that are spun after a few beers are consumed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My #2 daughter shot a pronghorn about a mile from a road. We drug it back under the watchful eye of the SDGFP The game warden watched us drag the goat the whole way. He checked tags, I thought he could have drove out there but WTF. At any rate I heard back from school teachers that we had dragged a 300+ lb pronghorn back to my truck.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neck shot on nice buck at 600 yds with a 264 Win Mag. Held right on.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/25/22.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jericho
I know a couple of guys that prefer not to hang out at the local VFWs anymore, because of all of the tall tales that are spun after a few beers are consumed

???? I thought that was the reason to go to the VFW in the first place?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F

Fighter Pilots have what we call "The ten percent truth rule." As long as a good story has at least ten percent truth content, it doesn't count as BS.
I think maybe politicians have that rule too.
Rex

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Fighter Pilots have what we call "The ten percent truth rule." As long as a good story has at least ten percent truth content, it doesn't count as BS.
I think maybe politicians have that rule too.
Rex

I think maybe they shave the percentages to 5%. During election year they may even go as low as 2%.

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/25/22.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
one of my most favorite posts I've ever read on the internet, was when I was over on Accurate Reloading many years ago...
of course this was tongue in cheek, for the guys who that isn't evident to...

" There were 500 Navy Seals who saw duty during the Vietnam War...... and I've had the pleasure of meeting ALL 20,000 of them".....

Honorable mention goes to this One: "I can hit a mountain side at 1,000 yards, every time I try it!"

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Captain
Originally Posted by ol_mike

A guy I knew heard me talk about custom rifles I owned, all the sudden he knew ALL ABOUT custom rifles, told me of a Mossberg that came from the factory a '''custom rifle''' LAF

In the 70’s Mossberg owned Pedersen Custom Guns located at the same address. 7 Grasso Avenue. North Haven, Ct. They did put out a rifle from this shop based on a Mossberg design.

This guy, Blaine, was talking about a modern Mossberg rifle, he knew nothing about what you're talking about - I can guarantee you that.

He found out I had a yamaha r-1 sportbike and began telling me his stories of awe pertaining to fast motorcycles. He rode someone's? 1980 Suzuki? 750 that according to him would smoke the back tire at 120mph. LAF.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of tangential but my favorite (not so much) are the guys who "only shoot deer in the head". Saves meat, drops right there, yadda, yadda. Its supposed to be interpreted as commentary on their precision shooting prowess. I've shot 3 deer in the past 10 years with holes in there faces, 2 with the bottom jaw broken. After 45+ years of hunting, I'm fairly certain a hole through the lungs behind the shoulder ruins next to zero meat and is a hell of alot bigger target - with a bit of room for error.

My other favorite story happened 40 years ago. My Dad and I were hunting in southern NY state - shotgun only. My Dad brought an acquaintance with us for the drive up the day before season. He stated he needed to sight in his shotgun. He then proceeded to shoot off his knee at a target that was 75 paces. Shoot, tweak sight, shoot tweak sight, for about 10 shots. Admittedly he was minute of deer, kinda, mostly. My Dad mentioned he shoot should off the hood of the truck to be more stable. "I held the world record at Paris Island for 1 day when I was in the military". I was fairly young but that didn't really jive with my own scope sighting experience, nor with his "groups" down yonder. He did manage to miss a buck that week.................

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Kind of tangential but my favorite (not so much) are the guys who "only shoot deer in the head". Saves meat, drops right there, yadda, yadda. Its supposed to be interpreted as commentary on their precision shooting prowess. I've shot 3 deer in the past 10 years with holes in there faces, 2 with the bottom jaw broken.

When I trapped coyotes for a living I had several ranches in the 20,000 acres plus size to trap. Always found at least a couple deer carcasses every year with a jaw or nose shot off. Deer starved or died from infection and became carrion.

"I only shoot deer in the head," has always been a form of virtue signalling among hunters. I usually have a tough time not saying something when one of those buffoons starts pontificating.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bushrat
Originally Posted by wyoming260

I knew a guy who swore he shot a blacktail on Vancouver Island that must have weighed over 400 on the hoof, said each side scaled 150 lbs or so on the rail. lol

Well they can get big, in 1970 a good friend was a breeder on a dairy farm near coastal Crescent City Calif. and the owner invited a guest hunter who shot a huge Columbian Blacktail right out of the pasture. My friend helped weigh it on the dairy scale, which was fairly accurate, hide, tail, guts and feathers...it weighed 330 pounds. It was so fat they couldn't pick it up onto the tailgate, and went and got a loader to lift it up. I often wondered if it's nuts were torn off on a barbwire fence or something, because 150 pound field dressed blacktail is a monster around here.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of my dads friends in PENN was deer hunting in doe season and spotted one about 250 yards or so away from his stand and took steady aim and fired. He was using a 7RM if I remember correctly and when he looked again through his scope, the deer was still standing. He fired again and the deer was still standing, after the third shot the deer dropped. He walked over to the dead deer and discovered 3 dead deer instead of just one. My dad told me later on, that he believed that there were 3 deer, but his friend didnt do it by accident......

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 46 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,234
Posts18,504,419
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.