-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What can Texan say about The Outdoors,other than "Pull!" as victims ride the fence line. Hint.

Same thing about the Bitchigan Dumbfhuqks and their version of The Outdoors. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
225 yards for my 284.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by specneeds
My range at home can only go out to 225 yards so it’s been convenient to zero big game rifles at that yardage for several years now.

Using a few different cartridges 243,25-06,270, 7mm RM,30-06,300WM, 300WSM, 300WBY the simple ballistic software calculators, yardage drops on reticles, simple calculations etc. seem to make 3,4,& 500 yards+ more intuitive & easier. It make my Z800 reticle match my 300WBY perfectly out to 800. It did the same on a 7 mag out to 600 with. Z600 reticle.

I’ll be sighting in a friends 300 Win mag Sunday with a Burris FF2 4.5-14 for elk in CO. Switching the zero to 225 makes it perfect within 2 yards for the ballistic plex hash marks out to 600 when maxed out on 14.

My 225 yard sweet spot was happenstance not mathematical analysis but it works well with most modern calibers.

Anybody else found a great zero yardage that isn’t 100 or 200 traditional yard zero?

MPBR 6" (+/-3").

.270 Win./150 gr.: 230 yds. - MPBR: 270 yds (Scoped)
6.5x55mm/140 gr.: 225 yds. - MPBR: 265 yds (Aperture sights)

GR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Fireball2
225 yards for my 284.

I didn't even mention my cock.

#uncanny
#thanksfornoticing

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by johnn
Zero at maximum point blank range.

Yup

Got my elk hunt coming up in a few weeks. The 338F is sighted in at 270 yards.

I’ll probably use my new 280ai this year for deer, in which case my zero may be less than my 338F since my target animal and kill zone will be considerably smaller than the elk I am after with the 338F.

For my maximum hunting ranges on medium game, maybe 3-400 yards, I find sighting in with this method negates the need for putting dope on the rifle.

So you’re good with going into the field with a rifle that shoots 4 1/2” high at 150 yards?

I dont know the ballistics of a 338, however if you know you are 150 yds, and you should be able to judge that w/o a gadget then you may choose to make a adjustment. Its easy and quick without twirling & fuggin around. Yer not looking for a bull on a piece of paper. If one is familiar and experienced with their rifle, holding slightly low at that range is no big deal. Even if you held on and were 4.5" high its dead.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep……been zeroing (cartridges with mv’s around 3000 fps) at 300 yards for many years. With our rifles, we can easily “hold on hair” out to 400 yards. The only caveat is you can easily (if you have your head up your a$$) shoot over a small animal (Fox, coyote, ect.) at the peak of the mid-range trajectory, which happens at around 170 ish yards! However, these rifles are for big game…..if you can’t control your emotions and make an adjustment on meaningless shots (coyotes, ect) you should stick to video games! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Yep……been zeroing (cartridges with mv’s around 3000 fps) at 300 yards for many years. With our rifles, we can easily “hold on hair” out to 400 yards. The only caveat is you can easily (if you have your head up your a$$) shoot over a small animal (Fox, coyote, ect.) at the peak of the mid-range trajectory, which happens at around 170 ish yards! However, these rifles are for big game…..if you can’t control your emotions and make an adjustment on meaningless shots (coyotes, ect) you should stick to video games! memtb
Or instead of correcting for short-to-mid-range shots, you can zero at a closer distance and make the correction on longer shots, where you have more time to think and get stable. Building the largest error into shots at the 170 yard range where many shots are taken is inviting a miss. With POI about 4” high at 100 yards and 4.5-5” above POA at 170 (assuming a decently aerodynamic bullet at 3000 fps MV), even a center-mass hold means that you’re close to the top edge of the vitals, and any unexpected wobble or animal movement takes the bullet out of vitals.

Obviously it’s been working for you for years, so I’m not saying you should change, but I wouldn’t advocate for a 300 yard zero for hunting purposes. Back in the day, when we didn’t have many options, I used to zero 3” high at 100 yards and use the MPBR, center-mass-hold approach (using Duplex reticle thickness transitions for hitting out to about 500 yards), but now we have more effective ways of arranging POA/POI intersection. Using a PBR of 200-250 yards can still make sense for quick, reasonably close shots, but now we have effective ways of correcting for distances beyond that that don’t require the bullet to be 4-5” above LOS at sub-200 yard distances.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never zeroed at more than 100 yards, .06 .308, 7 mag. except my antelope rifle of 6.5 Swede. Probably 90% of elk are shot within 200 yards and most at 100 or less. . All off my rifles I shoot out to 300 yards to verify the drop.

The last bull I killed in 2018 was about 350yards. Bang flop. The fellows in the next camp helped me unload my elk at camp,so I took them in the next day, set the father on a rock and told him to watch a particular area. I went on the pack out the front quarters of my elk. At 7:30, I hear about 10 shots from that location. Sure enough a few cows came out and a bull.This guy was turret twirler and he set his scope for 700 yards. It was probably 400. I know because I have shot a few elk there. He did clip the bull maybe once as we found blood but it only lasted about 200 yards. He never found the bull. Another guy missed another a bull year or so before that because his range finder said 500 yards, but he was shooting steeply up hill. More like 300. He blew them all above the bull. I have seen this happen with people I took hunting at least a half dozen times.Yep,one was using that MPB.

It has been my experience that most people coming from the flat lands cannot estimate distances and don't remember to compensate for uphill and downhill shots. They may know about it but forget it in the heat of the moment.. For the longer range shots, most have enough time to range them and compensate for the distances by knowing their rifle's trajectory. Too many hunters have become addicted to technology and have not learned the basics of shooting at distances close or far. IMHO

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So you’re good with going into the field with a rifle that shoots 4 1/2” high at 150 yards?

As comfortable as you asking stupid questions, why are you questioning his methods?

Dammit, go find a plum to suck on

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Darryle

As comfortable as you asking stupid questions, why are you questioning his methods?

Hah! What he said. Elk hunting with a 4 inch high at 100 yards zero I could hold center chest past 300 yards and still on hair at 400. If it was farther than that I would hold where I could just see some light between the elk and the crosshairs. If it were too far for that hold I would get closer, usually did anyway. And no I didn't shoot coyotes with it sighted that way just elk. Deer or antelope hunting I would run 150 grain bullets and sight in 3 inches high. The number of game animals I took with that 30-06 is impressive, more than many people take in a lifetime with all their rifles.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle

Hey dumbphuqk, if you may notice, I wasn't fuqking talking to you, you stupid pillow-biting cocksuqker.

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using "yards" with firearms...good for old school or beginners.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by memtb
Or instead of correcting for short-to-mid-range shots, you can zero at a closer distance and make the correction on longer shots, where you have more time to think and get stable. Building the largest error into shots at the 170 yard range where many shots are taken is inviting a miss. With POI about 4” high at 100 yards and 4.5-5” above POA at 170 (assuming a decently aerodynamic bullet at 3000 fps MV), even a center-mass hold means that you’re close to the top edge of the vitals, and any unexpected wobble or animal movement takes the bullet out of vitals.

Obviously it’s been working for you for years, so I’m not saying you should change, but I wouldn’t advocate for a 300 yard zero for hunting purposes. Back in the day, when we didn’t have many options, I used to zero 3” high at 100 yards and use the MPBR, center-mass-hold approach (using Duplex reticle thickness transitions for hitting out to about 500 yards), but now we have more effective ways of arranging POA/POI intersection. Using a PBR of 200-250 yards can still make sense for quick, reasonably close shots, but now we have effective ways of correcting for distances beyond that that don’t require the bullet to be 4-5” above LOS at sub-200 yard distances.

Valid points and well taken!

However, as you mentioned, it’s worked for years and has become second nature to compensate! While we may be a bit high at the mid range, easily within the kill zone on most big game….a 200 yard zero puts us near 18” low at 400. We find being just a bit high at mid range is easier to work with than dealing with 18” low @ 400! But, that’s just me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I zero at 200-220. Shooting a 300 win and 6mm Remington. The 6 has shot deer antelope wolf and lion but it’s main purpose is coyotes. And I want to be as close as I can get for a hold on hair without dialing for as far out as I can. Most of them are 200-300 yards.

I don’t understand why I’d need to zero at 100 for an accurate baseline. My zero still provides an accurate baseline.

We all hunt in different country but 130-150 yards is not a typical shot here. Not saying we always have long range shots, but I’d say 200-400 is more typical than the 130-150.

As far as big game goes I shoot way more elk than anything else. A lot of the elk we shoot are late season and for sure in the 3-400 yard range. I don’t have a dialing scope on the 300. There’s no way I’m using a 100 zero.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 100 yard zero is standard baseline.

You ZERO your rifle at 100 yards so it is DEAD ON, TITS with regard to elevation and WINDAGE. Zeroing at 100 negates or minimizes wind effects and your groups will be smaller making the ZERO as dead on as possible.

Set your elevation turret to -0- and your windage turret to -0- after your POA is exactly the POI at 100 yards

At this point, if you’re not a complete moron and have done your homework verifying your load’s drop data, you can then dial to the ZERO you wish to have when you walk out of camp and you can also accurately dial from your 100 yard baseline for long range opportunities

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

You ZERO your rifle at 100 yards so it is DEAD ON, TITS with regard to elevation and WINDAGE. Zeroing at 100 negates or minimizes wind effects and your groups will be smaller making the ZERO as dead on as possible.

Set your elevation turret to -0- and your windage turret to -0- after your POA is exactly the POI at 100 yards

At this point, if you’re not a complete moron and have done your homework verifying your load’s drop data, you can then dial to the ZERO you wish to have when you walk out of camp and you can also accurately dial from your 100 yard baseline for long range opportunities

Post up some targets and game animals or STFU

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Assuming that everyone has a rangefinder and/or the time to use it……or have scopes with readily adjustable turrets.

In the real world it’s not always as you suggest or believe it to be!

Also to be clear, we sight in @ 100, then move to 300 for the zero. Wind is not an issue…..we don’t sight in with the wind blowing? So simple a cave man can do it! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/15/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m still using an antique non dialing scope on the one rifle. I’ll keep ZEROing at 200-220 and keep killing the snot out of the elk up here.

On the dialing scope I can ZERO it pretty well at 220 thanks. That gives me a better ZERO for shooting called coyotes to 300ish without any dialing. Then past that I’ll dial to what my rangefinder tells me above my 220 ZERO!

Everyone gets your sighting in procedure. I’m still wondering why it’d be better in a real world hunting scenario.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MedRiver
This summer I have been playing with the iStrelok app to setup my zeros to match my reticles. I end up with some funny zero ranges but it all comes down to how many inches high at 100 to set things to get the hashes to line up to something intuitive. I am happy with it so far.

I do exactly this, and tweak it a bit after firing extended ranges, discovering that it won't change my 300yd impact enough to be concerned with, but will line up with my 400 or 500yd hash mark on my BDC.

God Bless and Shoot Straight
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by johnn
Zero at maximum point blank range.

Yup

Got my elk hunt coming up in a few weeks. The 338F is sighted in at 270 yards.

I’ll probably use my new 280ai this year for deer, in which case my zero may be less than my 338F since my target animal and kill zone will be considerably smaller than the elk I am after with the 338F.

For my maximum hunting ranges on medium game, maybe 3-400 yards, I find sighting in with this method negates the need for putting dope on the rifle.

Totally good with it. I shoot that rifle a lot. It’s my dedicated elk rig now. So, if a shot at 100 yards presents itself, I can either aim right where I want, or if I really care that much, I can aim just a smidge low. That’s really not any different than holding a smidge high if I’m beyond my point blank range. What is really nice about the system is that I don’t have to fiddle with my scope. My elk experience is little, (two hunts, one dead bull, OTC in unit 270 in Montana). But I still use the same type of setup for deer and pigs here in Texas; I just have a smaller target, so therefore, a closer zero distance. If you like spinning turrets, more power to you. But considering that I’m limiting my shots to 3-400 yards, the system I’m using suits me fine.

Now for BigStick, I wouldn’t pay him much attention. He may be able to shoot a long ways and that’s a good thing, because we all know his fat ass isn’t humping any mountains or packing any more weight than is already attached to his glutinous frame.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 18,042 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,842
Posts18,537,240
Members74,047
Most Online19,844
48 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.