Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are renting equipment from them, stop. A decent modem and wifi transmitter are only about a hundred bucks each. You'll need a modem that's compatible with your service provider, but that info will be on their website.

The modem gets the signal from the cable and passes it to the transmitter. You will need to upgrade the transmitter every five or six years, probably, just to keep up with security advancements. But the modem will be good to go unless it fails.

I use Xfinity. When I replaced their rented modem, I had to call them with the model number of the new unit so they could unlock it remotely. That's all it took.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I agree with not renting the equipment but I will say modems don't last as long as they used to. If you get 3 to 4 years you've done well. Almost like a car battery, you can bet on them dying at a certain time.

A lot of upgrades going around, a lot of covid money went to providers to speed things up for home workers. We just got 1gig fiber at our house.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I was "forced" to buy a new phone cause my old one didn't support 5G. I still don't have 5G service, only 4G.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd check your computer. What processer is it running? These days new equipment is capable of faster speeds. How much memory do you have? new computers are pretty reasonable unless you are an engineer and require huge terabytes of storage. What kind of IT connection do you have and how far is it from the source? With conventional DSL the farther from the Central Office you get the slower the rates are. With Starlink you pay for what you get. If you are on a fiber feed and have a good provider you can get pretty fast if your equipment can handle it. Expect your download speed to be faster than your upload. Also your provider may be using a copper feed instead of fiber which is becoming the norm these days. Copper won't transmit near what fiber will and there are different grades of fiber that transmit different colors of light instead of just one giving huge capabilities. Also it requires better Multiplexers to handle all that gee whiz.
If your computer is over five years old just get another one. i can't help you with your provider.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rainshot
I'd check your computer.
The sudden slowdown occurred simultaneously across all my devices, MacBook, AppleTV, Fire Stick, and iPhone. I had assumed it was temporary, and would go back to normal at some point. Then I got the email.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a rather complex home network. There's the fiber-optic converter (it's a modem of sorts even if they don't call it a "modem"), two routers, and four or five switches all driving numerous streaming devices, smart TVs, PCs, Macs, and camera systems. Occasionally, internet access seems to slow down. Sometimes it's my ISP's problem but there have been several occasions that rebooting my entire network took care of the speed issues. My network has evolved over time from dirt simple to somewhat complex and I have used numerous ISPs offering various methods of delivery including many different modems suitable for the purpose, and the modems seem to have always been the weak spot---even though I HAVE had switches and routers fail occasionally.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The first thing to try is a hard reboot of your router or router/modem.
Some times ghosts connect to your signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, we assume that you did the classic 'pooter thing of unplugging the router for a minute, right? That's often all it takes to get the thing "unclogged" as it were.

Just did mine as my usual "oneth of the month" maintenance. Speed check improved quite a chunk.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DavePrice
The first thing to try is a hard reboot of your router or router/modem.
Some times ghosts connect to your signal.
I will try this. I'm assuming you mean pull the plug, wait a minute, and plug it back in.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The last few days my internet has dramatically slowed down across several devices (iPhone, AppleTV, Fire Stick, and my computer) to where my devices are suddenly having trouble showing videos at anything but low resolution (takes longer to start, and has lots of stoppages where I have to wait for things to catch up again), whereas before, and for years, it's had no problem showing the highest resolution videos smoothly.

Today I get an email from my internet service provider that my old equipment can't handle the higher speeds they have now switched to, and it's time for an upgrade.

I think I smell a rat.

My service went out just before the NFL playoffs started, and I called repair. The problem turned out to be a break in the line well upstream, and it took a day or so to find it and get me going again. When I called, the support lady told me I was earmarked for a change of equipment. No cost, no problem, a few days after they got my service running again, a fellow came out and gave me all new equipment. Furthermore, about a month later, I got a notice saying that they were increasing my internet speed considerably because I was now on new equipment.

No charge. No big hassle. No complaints. I'm happy. It's not always a conspiracy.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,275
Posts18,505,032
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.