Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This one is in the general style of the American Civil War era Bowie knives. Razor sharp, too.

[Linked Image]

And probably a lot closer to the Original Bowie than most designs.
That looks scary sharp even in the picture.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
There's a Korean fellow in town who does nothing but hand sharpen knives for a living. He charges a pretty penny, but he gets them razor sharp. He'll even show you before and after pictures of your knife's edge taken digitally from his microscope.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Here's a nice, authentic, Civil War era Bowie.

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Lots of really nice knives on this thread.

My only Bowie knife is a made in Japan Cold Steel Trail Master. I remember first seeing them about 35 years ago. I couldn’t afford one on paper route money. It was also offered with stag horn or maybe it was bone scales. This was my uncles that I inherited years later.

Lynn Thompson had his detractors but I’ve always liked Cold Steel. Especially the older mostly made in the US or Japan products. His catalogs were cool stuff when I was a kid. The knives were a great combination of useful designs, quality and value with some good old fashion salesmanship and selling the sizzle with the steak. Similar to Mike Dillion in that sense of offering a quality product, knowing his customer base and how to promote the product and make it fun.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have one of those, too, except mine was made in Taiwan, blade from 01 tool steel, and has a solid brass cross guard.

[Linked Image]

Both Cold Steel & SOG make some really good knives for the money!

The older stuff from Seki Japan was better, but even there new import stuff is decent steel. And always razor sharp right out of the box.
Not a bad alternative for those that can’t afford a Randall.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Good thread Hawk. Keep it up.

Yep! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
My Randalls:

An "Alaskan Skinner" (Model 11-5) and a "Fighter" (Model 1-7). The Model 1-7, I think, qualifies as a Bowie. Although, we'll have to ask Billy Goat to be sure. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS Although too expensive a knife for the US Military to buy and issue to our troops, many US soldiers had the Model 1-7 "Fighter" with them in Vietnam. Some were gifts from parents, and some purchased by the soldiers themselves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Lots of really nice knives on this thread.

My only Bowie knife is a made in Japan Cold Steel Trail Master. I remember first seeing them about 35 years ago. I couldn’t afford one on paper route money. It was also offered with stag horn or maybe it was bone scales. This was my uncles that I inherited years later.

Lynn Thompson had his detractors but I’ve always liked Cold Steel. Especially the older mostly made in the US or Japan products. His catalogs were cool stuff when I was a kid. The knives were a great combination of useful designs, quality and value with some good old fashion salesmanship and selling the sizzle with the steak. Similar to Mike Dillion in that sense of offering a quality product, knowing his customer base and how to promote the product and make it fun.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Have the san mia 111 version of that.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Have the san mia 111 version of that.
Nice. That's their top of the line steel.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've hunted big game a handful of times, but always with a guide to do the field dressing (for a tip). So my question for the actual, for real, big game hunters here is, is there any reason you would not bring a skinner pattern blade to use as your general purpose big game hunting knife, i.e., to field dress with?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I sold my skinning knives.

Guide does that with a knife with replaceable blades (essentially scalpel or razor blades)

I bring a general purpose folder and a Leatherman

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've hunted big game a handful of times, but always with a guide to do the field dressing (for a tip). So my question for the actual, for real, big game hunters here is, is there any reason you would not bring a skinner pattern blade to use as your general purpose big game hunting knife, i.e., to field dress with?
I do but I almost always end up using my slotted razor blade carpet knife.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I do but I almost always end up using my slotted razor blade carpet knife.
I hear that a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer a blade with a neutral point location and lots of sweep to the edge for most any cutting chore including working on game.

I could get the job done with a bowie or clip point blade but it makes thing harder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Too big. Too heavy. Too hard to get really sharp. I’m not chopping anything up or in a hand to hand battle so I have no use for a big knife.
I generally do all that needs done with a good sharp pocketknife. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Where was that Gibsons store at chlinstructor ? I probably stood in front of those same knife displays and dreamed of owning those knives. The guys that worked the counter were always willing to let a kid with no money handle the merchandise and dream. I still own a few guns that came from there.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a few Bowie ground by the late DeLeon from Texas...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
1 member likes this: chlinstructor
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R.J. Custom from Montanna their Grizly Bowie they grind them scary sharp.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I prefer a blade with a neutral point location and lots of sweep to the edge for most any cutting chore including working on game.

I could get the job done with a bowie or clip point blade but it makes thing harder.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
That sounds about what I like for an all around camp and hunting knife.

Something with a profile similar to this. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I have a few Bowie ground by the late DeLeon from Texas...

Like.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I just stumbled across this little item on Amazon.

Case 00334 USMC presentation Knife: $105

I have to wonder, is it really a Case branded knife with Case steel.

It also has "ASIN B001D0RE0K" in the description.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 53 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,050
Posts18,501,017
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.