-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 75 and have been retired for 10 years. I have a Class A with all the endorsements and I keep it all up except hazmat. Hazmat changes all the time and it's easy to pick up again if the need should arise. I figure that if the economy should go bust, I can always pick up a driving job of some kind, even if it's driving school bus...speaking of hazmat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MAC
I have had a Class A CDL since I was 21. I maintain it even though I haven't driven for a living in years. A CDL is a lot harder to get now than it used to be. Never know when it will come in handy. The hardest thing about having a CDL and not using it is remembering to keep the physical current.

Here in PA you can get a physical card exemption while keeping your CDL if you are not driving a commercial vehicle for profit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Ya I’m in your camp, let my green card expire, but you have to have a current physical when your license comes up for renewal, or you lose it all.

Pa has a thing where you can have your license listed as inactive.
I still have a cdl, still on the card, but I'm listed as inactive and I have to present
a current physical, then I'm reactivated.

Gave up my Hazmat a couple cycles ago,

$100 plus for the background checks and fingerprinting, having to retest every renewal. Getting a new endorsement is exactly the same, except a $5 permit fee before you test. That was an easy one!

You can't just test for cdl anymore.
You have to have a certain number of hours under a certified trainer.
Another racket pushed by the schools and mega carriers.
A boy driving dad's dump truck, had ridden with dad for years.
Dad can't teach him the job, then let him prove himself to the tester.
Nope. That kid gotta pay Da Man Da Money.
Even if that Nitwit had a whole year driving an automatic for
Johnnie (B Swft) Schneider.
And Dad was a cigar chewing two sticker for 30 years.

Sorry japlover, somehow I missed your post.

Pretty sure the certified trainer thing is nationwide.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/04/24.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a junior college / community college that offers CDL classes.

Cheaper alternative..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You just moved to Arkansas and already lost your job? Is that what I’m gathering?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might have moved to AR after he lost his job?

Still, seems strange, eh?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Naw man, I’m pretty sure I recall a round of furious threads about rental uhauls, moving to arkansas, I was following along and cheering for him.
It was all about home prices this and that

Maybe it was someone else

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same dude, but I think the home price thing and cost of living in CA/OR or wherever he was made him consider AR.

Might have had a job or was looking for one in the AR wine areas? Maybe that kind of fell through.

Too much to keep track of.

Too many inane slingshot threads and the like.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It’s not a lot to keep track of, unless your brain is half styrofoam from watching spaghetti westerns for 40 years

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That isn’t my experience.
I was commercial for around 40 years, retired almost three years ago, but people keep trying to lure me back.
Here is CA they are hard up for drivers with any experience, especially if they are running trucks that are still manual transmissions. My last eight years I was in automatics, fleets were transitioning to autos because they couldn’t find any drivers who could shift gears.

Them autos are the only way to fly when unloading into the gomaco concrete machine or a transfer dumping AC into the asphalt paver….. waaaaay less piles on the ground lol.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might be more like hashish and beer induced dementia.

In it is contentment

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m living on a Teamster pension, retiree health, I know it’s popular to hate unions, but are the only jobs providing pensions and health.

Wrong. I get a military pension with health and in 2 years I will draw a teaching pension with health. Just sayin...

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MAC
I’m living on a Teamster pension, retiree health, I know it’s popular to hate unions, but are the only jobs providing pensions and health.

Wrong. I get a military pension with health and in 2 years I will draw a teaching pension with health. Just sayin...
MAC, are teachers not unionized in your area?
Outside private schools (and I'm honestly not sure about them) most, if not all, the schools are unionized around here.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of points:

If you want to keep your CDL but not do the physical every couple of years, most states allow your to switch your CDL to "intra state exempt", which does not need a med card. I did that for years to keep mine active.

As far as experience, that's strictly insurance driven. Local jobs, mines, construction, and agriculture, as examples, don't have the typical commercial trucking insurance, so can be more flexible on bringing on someone who is has been inactive. Our insurance will not even allow me to hire someone with less that 2 years experience in similar equipment.

Finally, there is NO requirement for a CPAP in the law. Not even an official guideline. The whole "sleep study" gimmick was pushed by one of the members on the advisory council -- who happened to own a bunch of sleep clinics. SOME examiners are following the suggestions and send people for sleep studies. SOME use common sense. Don't go to the wrong examiner. There is NO legal requirement for examiners to insist on CPAP use.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Naw man, I’m pretty sure I recall a round of furious threads about rental uhauls, moving to arkansas, I was following along and cheering for him.
It was all about home prices this and that

Maybe it was someone else

It was him I remember they had a lab and was going to stuff it in the car the uhual was towing because mother didn’t want it riding with her. We all asked why didn’t he let Fido just ride with him in the U-Haul.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Both of my sons are driving. The youngest went to CDL course at the local college and just finished driving his year in the NE US and is driving for a good company now out of Dallas. The other went to driving school locally and is delivering crushed limestone from a local quarry to get his years experience in. The first year driving jobs don't pay like an experienced driver here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Work 16-20 hours a day for a few months driving during harvest season and take the rest of the year off. You can find some excellent places to whitetail hunt also.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Work 16-20 hours a day for a few months driving during harvest season and take the rest of the year off. You can find some excellent places to whitetail hunt also.

What's harvested in your area?

Have at least a few year to retirement, buy I've been looking for THAT gig.
The one that might let a guy bail out early and earn enough to pay the insurance bill.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Several truck drivers I know here in Arkansas are crying the blues. Claiming that their loads have been reduced and their miles have dropped. Not sure how widespread the issue is or what segments are the most impacted.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is Midwest Distribution in Ft. Scott Kansas still in business? Back when I was a driver for a small company in California, they had a "lease-purchase" deal for rookie drivers. They would "sell" a newly licensed commercial driver a new tractor and work his butt off until the truck was almost, but not quite paid off. Then he would get ghosted, get behind on payments, and the truck would get repo'ed and added to the company fleet. "Rinse and repeat".

They got the nickname "Dollar down- - - -dollar a week trucking"!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (280Ackleyrized, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 9,249 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,831
Posts18,537,047
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.