Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one is a callout to a certain individual that shoots this type of target in competition. I'd love to see how his Tikka T1x does. I know he's a great shooter. Go over to day at the range and print up a target and follow the rules. This is a fun one. I'm not really set up for it, but I like to shoot, so I said what the hell!!! Some of you guys should get out and do some fun challenges like this. It's just for fun... The scoring is weird ARA style, which is worst edge scoring.

Rifle: Savage MK1 FVT single shot. This one comes from the factory with target sights. I pulled them off to do some of these fun challenges.
Scope: Burris AR556 4.5-14x42
Ammo: CCI std velocity and Norma Match
Harris bi-pod and cheap rear leather bag
Factory trigger set at 2 pounds. Stock is a Boyds rimfire hunter.
Kestrel KST1000 timer, to keep time. Rules say we need to shoot this in 190 seconds. A little more time is given for a single shot. As you can see, you probably really don't need it, but it's there, nonetheless.

I'll post what I shot during 2 separate outings. First day I shot it with CCI standard velocity:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Score: 140

That was a pretty damn nice day, with little wind. The ammo was the deciding factor, and not the best in this rifle. I shot a 10 shot group, to show what type of accuracy would derive the type of score I got:

Todays outing was a little better, because I had better ammo!!!. Wind conditions were about the same:
Score: 160

Bearcat74, I'm calling you out!!!! Just don't make me look too bad buddy. Anyone else care to shoot this, please do so. You can also post your results to day at the range. I didn't post these yet. I may wait for my girlfriend to shoot it, and see how she does and post her scores.. Good luck!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
1 member likes this: JediWing19
GB1

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
10 feet, 500 yards, 54.7 feet?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Deerhunter78
10 feet, 500 yards, 54.7 feet?

Go to day at the range.com. They have the rules there. The target is set at 50 yards though.. You can also get the target from day at the range.com. Good luck.. It's a fun one.

Here's a video of the shoot guys:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
1 member likes this: JediWing19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. Would like to give this a try sometime.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JediWing19
Thanks for the info. Would like to give this a try sometime.

Ah cool. Good luck man. Let us know how you do. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That looks like a tough one, 160 is quite the score. That will be hard to match.

I’ll see if I can give it a go this weekend.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I ran it quick this evening with some sk and got a 149.

160 is stacking

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I picked up a new cz I’m getting used to. I think it will be a good shooter as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I picked up a new cz I’m getting used to. I think it will be a good shooter as well.

Excellent!! I look forward to hearing about your new rifle. I know your Tikka shoots very well too, buddy. Thanks for participating and Good luck, next time out!! I knew this was right up your alley. That damn "worst edge" scoring gets me!!!!

Your score of 149 is damn good!! I shot it again this morning, trying some different ammo, that I haven't tried in this single shot Savage. The ammo doesn't shoot as well as other ammo I've shot through it.

Again, I shoot a 10 shot group, to show what the rifle does, and what can really be expected on target. To score high, you really need some ammo that puts them into about .2's and .3's for 10 shots:

Man, now is when I wished I had some Lapua Master, or even some old SK Standard Plus, but I shot that stuff up a little while back. I'd even welcome some crusty old SK Match Gold, right now!!!:

A lot of that older ammo would shoot into the .3"! Even the old Eley Club X tra was good in this rifle.

Did you shoot your 149 with Pistol Match?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The only ammo I have here my tikka digs is some Midas+. I used it for my winning card last Saturday. The card looks rough because it was shot in a monsoon, lol. I was afraid it would tear when I took it off the backer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The cz is the 457 at-one model with the 24” barrel. I wanted something with a longer beak than my 16.5” tikka. I need to bed it but it’s showing promise so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice! Keep me posted. Thanks!! I really like my new CZ as well, but it's not precise enough for this shoot. This is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I won't bad mouth my CZ too much, because it's a pretty dang good rifle. Nice smooth action, and it shoots well enough.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All it takes is ignoring a couple gusts, which I did, to ruin a good target. May try again tomorrow unless the doc decides to amputate my leg instead of just doing another surgery wink

Martini International MK-II with Lapua Midas +

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
All it takes is ignoring a couple gusts, which I did, to ruin a good target. May try again tomorrow unless the doc decides to amputate my leg instead of just doing another surgery wink

Martini International MK-II with Lapua Midas +

Awesome, thanks for participating. Keep in mind, this target is "worst edge scoring", as I said before, and I hate that!!!. Some of those 9's are actually 7's. 5's are 4's. Just at first glance. I see some 10's in there though! That is great!! Also, if you read the rules, if you miss, you have to start over, and it's timed (190 seconds, even more if you are using a single shot: see rules on that one). It's a great challenge though. As you can see. Shoot it again, when you get some more time. Thanks!!! Hopefully the doc doesn't take the leg!! Good luck with that too pugs!! That is a cool rifle, I like it!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The worst edge scoring is strange. On the first two rows you either have a 10 or a 7.

Hopefully I get my cz up and running this weekend. I’m pillar and glass bedding it soon. I’ll try it again with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst edge scoring is strange. On the first two rows you either have a 10 or a 7.
it.

Yea, confusing. I went one way then another after I looked at the instructions and then other folks targets to see how they scored.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Hopefully I get my cz up and running this weekend. I’m pillar and glass bedding it soon. I’ll try it again with it.

Nice buddy! Can't wait to see the rifle. Hopefully you give us full details about it. Brand of barrel, etc.. If it shoots better than your Tikka, you'll probably be pretty dang happy. Your Tikka does very well.. Now, you'll have to shoot up a bunch of ammo, too, to see what it likes!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
it.

Yea, confusing. I went one way then another after I looked at the instructions and then other folks targets to see how they scored.

You can't really go by some of the Youtube videos on their scoring. Some of those fu ckers are scoring wrong, and not using "worst edge". If you look at the targets I posted, you'll see how to score it.

Yours would score:
X1= 7,7,10 = 24
X2= 7,10,10 = 54
X3= 0,4,4= 24
Bottom row=10

Total: 112 Not including the DQ. This is just total points, had it not been a DQ. Hopefully that makes sense..

But since you missed on row X3, you have to start over from the beginning, following the time constraints. Usually if I miss a target, I'll just start over with a new target. Since I lose track of which was my first shots.

Again, here's a target I shot, for reference, on how to score these crazy targets:

Oh, and by the way: Yes, the range I use is 50 yards:

Went out and checked it last night, because some azzhat was trying to say otherwise..

Good luck with the leg today!!!! Your rifle looks like a shooter too. I'm sure you will do better next time!!

Next time out, I need to test this ammo, on the challenge:
It doesn't function flawlessly in my Kidd barreled 10/22 clone, but it does shoot pretty dang good. I would have tried it yesterday, but didn't realize I only had 3 challenge targets left in the box!!!!

I shot those 3 targets with SK rifle match. It didn't do as well as I was hoping!! I even had one DQ, because I missed the last 10 point target on the bottom (target not shown)!!! It happens to all of us, trust me..

Since that was the first time I ran SK rifle match in that rifle, I had to put 10 into a hole, and see how it does:
Definitely not the best ammo, I've used in that rifle. I also find it very telling to shoot a 10 shot group, and see what type of dispersion I get, before shooting this challenge. I probably wouldn't trust anything to do well, if it doesn't produce at least 1/2" groups at 50 yards.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Nice buddy! Can't wait to see the rifle. Hopefully you give us full details about it. Brand of barrel, etc.. If it shoots better than your Tikka, you'll probably be pretty dang happy. Your Tikka does very well.. Now, you'll have to shoot up a bunch of ammo, too, to see what it likes!!

It's a cz 457 at-one with the 24" threaded factory barrel. It's in a Boyd's stock from the factory and after seeing how much the other cz rifles gained in our group I decided to pillar bed it and glass bed it. The guns in our group aren't glass bedded because a guy bedded 3 and had bad cold bore shifts until they sanded the bedding out. I figure he had to have something jacked up as I've never seen that with a bedding job.

I've only shot Sk Pistol Match from it but with that particular lot it is much better than my T1X. My T1x won't keep this lot consistently under 1/2" at 50yds, the CZ is running just over 1/4" for 5 shots at 50yds across eight 5 shot groups. I shot one 15 shot group in a decent breeze , just hold center and shoot, and it measured .652".

I have an SWFA 12x on it right now but I have a 36x Sightron on the wagon headed East.

I just hope I don't screw it up, lol.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Pillars in, looked good. Glass bedded after and it went to hell in a hand basket, all my fault. Tore the glass out and redid it. Hopefully the rain moves out and I can actually test it tomorrow.

Seems better

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.