Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I told GM to gfy once they took bailout money and didn't repay it.

No question for me. Dodge or Ford. And dodge took money too and they spent 10 years or so lying about their schitty transmissions and not covering them.

So...Ford or Toyota.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend bought a Silverado and I was surprised how well I liked it over prior models. I swore off GM anything years ago and don't think Dad's lemon of a 77 Silverado adds much credence here.

I have owned Ford trucks for years and have been satisfied with them. I recently inherited a 2019 Lariat from my Dad and I couldn't imagine a more perfect truck. I can touch 20mpg + on hiway in eco mode with cruise control. The dash and controls are easy and intuitive. Great nav system. Ride is cushioned and quiet, nice sound system. Power is wonderful compared to anything prior I owned. 3.5 ecoboost will flat out move. Great features and a downloadable free app for remote starts and stats.

IF I had complaints they are few and minor but may not be just Ford.
1. The autolocking doors. Once you creep past a few mph they lock which is a pain if you are riding a ranch in and out and want to access other doors. No- mine does not have an option to turn it off.
2. The splash plate underneath is made out of some fibrous material that will rip after going through some deep puddles. Most folks just yank it off and don't replace them. I did. About $45 to replace but...
3. Mine has the issue with cold starts and that horrid noise that should have been addressed for free.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/09/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone has their experiences. Ive owned gm trucks for 25 years and have never had an issue. They work well for me. I can not stand the eco boosts motors, as a few buddies that have owned them have had trouble. If you could find an f150 with a coyote motor, that would be the way id go if I was after a ford. Really it comes down to what you like the most when you drive it. They both make good and bad stuff. Anything can break

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These threads always turn into a pissing contest...

But rarely does someone speak the truth.

The unspoken truth is: Once you take the skin off of a pickup, there really isn't much difference in them. And in the bare bones stuff that matters, our GOVT has fugged everything up beyond comprehension with stupid schidt they mandate with safety, emissions, fuel requirements. etc.

Think of the money the US public has spent over the years on Ralph Nader BS, catalytic converters, airbags, unleaded fuel, ETHANOL fuel, low sulpher diesel, diesel particulate filters, DEF exhaust systems, and not Electric Pickups that nobody wants or needs.... mad

TRILLIONS. frown

No matter what brand of Government Garbage you drive, it's still Government Garbage.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Close friend just bought a 19 with the ecoboost 3 weeks ago.

Body and interior are pristine, 100k miles.

He noticed a glitch with the trans[10sd] on the test drive but the truck was so clean he decided to go ahead with it and also purchased a 1 one year ext. warranty.

It's at the local Ford dealership now, transmission has been pulled.
These 10 speeds are not helping anything beyond getting you 2-3 MPGs[maybe], but the long term costs negate any fuel savings IMO

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The unspoken truth is: Once you take the skin off of a pickup, there really isn't much difference in them. And in the bare bones stuff that matters, our GOVT has fugged everything up beyond comprehension with stupid schidt they mandate with safety, emissions, fuel requirements. etc.

Think of the money the US public has spent over the years on Ralph Nader BS, catalytic converters, airbags, unleaded fuel, ETHANOL fuel, low sulpher diesel, diesel particulate filters, DEF exhaust systems, and not Electric Pickups that nobody wants or needs.... mad

TRILLIONS. frown

No matter what brand of Government Garbage you drive, it's still Government Garbage.
Alot of truth in this one

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If talking road noise and ride, either would run fine on a nice set of highway michelins. I will say I am not a big fan of the rancho shocks on my 4wd sierra. While i'm not on the 6cyl turbo bandwagon yet, the current gm engines have me contemplating it. GM has to fix their lifter issues....reliability has gone way down hill. See it mostly in the 6.2 engine but also occurring in the 5.3.

The factory duratracs gm is putting on these trucks are junk, don't know what ford is using. I put wildpeaks on mine after the duratracs wore out and its a night and day difference.

I got to ride in a brand new 2500 denali the other day, dang that things was nice, almost too nice.

Last edited by killerv; 05/09/24.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Caplock
Your opinions & experience

Smoothest ride

Least road noise

Assuming both have road trad tires

Stay away from an offroad package (Z71, FX4, etc.).

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ford has been good to me and that is my preference. The last Chevy I owned was a 2000 Tahoe. I had no complaints with it either.

I know people who will argue strongly for both. I have a next-door neighbor who had issues with a 2013 Ford with the 3.5 EB engine and went to a 2018 with the 5.0 and is much happier. I have 2 BIL's with the 3.5 and they are extremely happy. Guy across the street with a 2020 Chevy that had the transmission die so both can have problems.

If you want to tow stay away from the Lariat and higher trim packages on a 4X4 crew cab and stick to an XLT. The more options they put on them eats up your payload. Some of the higher end trucks have 1100-1300 lbs payload. That's less than Ranger and about the same as Tacoma. The XLT's will usually have 1700-1900 lbs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
A couple months ago I bought a 2020 Ford with the 5.0 motor. 25000 miles with 120000 mile warranty. The warranty was the reason I bought it. My 2017 Chevy cost me 5000 dollar repair when the goofy lifters needed replacement.
The ride on the Chevy was a little smoother but overall pickups are about the same. Edk

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Don’t own either, but ride in them fairly often. One uncle has a pair of F150s ola 22 crew with 3.5 and a 18 with the smaller 2.something eco boost. The 22 is as nice of riding vehicle as I’ve ever been in. Lots of room. A hunting buddy has a 22 gmc crew. Nice as well but I don’t feel like there as much room in back seat and it’s not as comfortable to me as the ford.

Again this just my perspective but not sure you can go wrong with any of the newer stuff if the price doesn’t scare you away.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Doesn’t really matter what Ford does! Many will never forgive the 6.0 head bolts and turbos, or the 5.4 spark plugs. And no admission of responsibility, or warranty. Here they lost a longtime customer. By the way, Ford took government money!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp

TRILLIONS. frown

Yep. I've had multiple (lots of 'em) Ford's, Chevy/GMC, and a smattering of Toyotas in our fleets since 2000. We were real stickler's for routine/preventative maintenance out here in the Permian oil fields. I found that there wasn't a nickle's worth of difference between the Ford/GM as far as longetivity and maintenance was concerned, as we routinely put 150-200k miles on 'em before starting over. The vast majority were CrewCab 4x4's. My personal all time fave is the one I'm driving now, a '22 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
If talking road noise and ride, either would run fine on a nice set of highway michelins. I will say I am not a big fan of the rancho shocks on my 4wd sierra. While i'm not on the 6cyl turbo bandwagon yet, the current gm engines have me contemplating it. GM has to fix their lifter issues....reliability has gone way down hill. See it mostly in the 6.2 engine but also occurring in the 5.3.

The factory duratracs gm is putting on these trucks are junk, don't know what ford is using. I put wildpeaks on mine after the duratracs wore out and its a night and day difference.

I got to ride in a brand new 2500 denali the other day, dang that things was nice, almost too nice.
Same on the tires. My AT4 came with duratracs. While they performed well in the snow, they were extremely noisy and yes I rotate every oil change and they lasted less than 30k. I went with the wildpeaks as well and couldnt be happier

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heym06
Doesn’t really matter what Ford does! Many will never forgive the 6.0 head bolts and turbos, or the 5.4 spark plugs. And no admission of responsibility, or warranty. Here they lost a longtime customer. By the way, Ford took government money!
Yes they have. Never understood why some still say that ford hasnt taken gov money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

TRILLIONS. frown

Yep. I've had multiple (lots of 'em) Ford's, Chevy/GMC, and a smattering of Toyotas in our fleets since 2000. We were real stickler's for routine/preventative maintenance out here in the Permian oil fields. I found that there wasn't a nickle's worth of difference between the Ford/GM as far as longetivity and maintenance was concerned, as we routinely put 150-200k miles on 'em before starting over. The vast majority were CrewCab 4x4's. My personal all time fave is the one I'm driving now, a '22 GMC Sierra 3.0 Duramax.
How do you like the small duramax? I test drove one and liked it in the small sample I had. I ended up with the 6.2 gas, but may go with the 3.0 diesel in my next truck

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had a 3/4 Ton Ford 460, gasser, then a 3/4 Ton Doge Cummins, now Chevy 2500HD Duramax.The Ford nickle and dimed me to death, didn't pull worth a hoot. Dodge blew a head gasket at 150 K and front end was repaired. So far with 30 K on it the Chevy is doing great. Rides better too.

Truthfully, I think it is the luck of the draw whether you will get a gem or lemon of any of the three.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Heym06
Yes they have. Never understood why some still say that ford hasnt taken gov money
Yes they admitted after the lawsuits. And offered thread inserts as a fix for the 5.4, when they should have offered new heads, or bought the trucks back. Joe average that bought these trucks lost big dollars. Not counting the resale that is/was diminished, because people don't want to buy problems, potential or real!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How do you like the small duramax? I test drove one and liked it in the small sample I had. I ended up with the 6.2 gas, but may go with the 3.0 diesel in my next truck

All diesels are having major emissions issues, on tractors and equipment too.

This is due to the govt mandated DPF & DEF systems that were mandated and implemented before the technology was dependable.

I just cured my F350 from those issues and any future issues. Next will be my big tracked skid steer which I just got back from the 3rd round of being repaired and expensive parts installed that WILL fail again, as long you own the machine. It was toward the end of the emissions warranty this time, so it didn't cost out of pocket, but the next time the emissions fail, I'll cure that myself. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All diesels are having major emissions issues, on tractors and equipment too.

This is due to the govt mandated DPF & DEF systems that were mandated and implemented before the technology was dependable.

I just cured my F350 from those issues and any future issues. Next will be my big tracked skid steer which I just got back from the 3rd round of being repaired and expensive parts installed that WILL fail again, as long you own the machine. It was toward the end of the emissions warranty this time, so it didn't cost out of pocket, but the next time the emissions fail, I'll cure that myself. wink
Sucks to hear. Gov can fugg up a wet dream for sure. Any idea if the emissions crap can be removed/deleted on the newer trucks? I know you could on the older stuff, but heard the new stuff was nearly impossible

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,681
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.