Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a 2018 F150 that has been good. It rides good and drives good. It tows ok but mileage goes downhill, after all it's a half ton. I owned a 1994 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 T with a 350 that was a good truck. It had a crap transmission but the motor was going strong at 250K miles when I reluctantly traded it. The paint job was junk but that was the government's fault. Many of the Chevy's I see on the road have light problems. even the newer models. They must have wiring problems. i know they had big problems with the fuel pumps wiring on early 2000 chevy. vans. Both Ford and Chevy suffer from government mandates which need to be resolved by abolishing the EPA.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Same on the tires. My AT4 came with duratracs. While they performed well in the snow, they were extremely noisy and yes I rotate every oil change and they lasted less than 30k. I went with the wildpeaks as well and couldnt be happier

Knock on wood my at4 has been great, 2020 5.3 with 64k, I did have the rear window leak and completely replaced. I started using the lucas upper cylinder lubricant in it every oil change. Hope it helps the longevity, its not hurting anything and its cheap.

From what I understand, ford and chevy using the same 10speed now, they are just programmed a little different.

Last edited by killerv; 05/09/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Both ride like a car (smooth and quiet) assuming they have good tires. I think Chevrolet makes more comfortable seats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
How do you like the small duramax? I test drove one and liked it in the small sample I had. I ended up with the 6.2 gas, but may go with the 3.0 diesel in my next truck

All diesels are having major emissions issues, on tractors and equipment too.

This is due to the govt mandated DPF & DEF systems that were mandated and implemented before the technology was dependable.

I just cured my F350 from those issues and any future issues. Next will be my big tracked skid steer which I just got back from the 3rd round of being repaired and expensive parts installed that WILL fail again, as long you own the machine. It was toward the end of the emissions warranty this time, so it didn't cost out of pocket, but the next time the emissions fail, I'll cure that myself. wink
Sucks to hear. Gov can fugg up a wet dream for sure. Any idea if the emissions crap can be removed/deleted on the newer trucks? I know you could on the older stuff, but heard the new stuff was nearly impossible

It's very simple. And yes, my F350 is a 2017, but no difference in the 2024 as far as what it takes to do it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Old timer here, 85 years young and a pickup lover the whole time.
Think I have owned at least 2 dozen new ones and at least that many used.
Presently down to 3 , well actually only 2 cause one is actually an older ford 600 with dump box. The other 2 are a ford f-350 club cab 4x4 7.3 power stroke 6 speed manual trans 8’ box , none dually. Best overall truck I have owned. Other is an 2018 F-150 crew cab , short box 3.5 eco boost, 10 speed . Nice truck, good ride , mileage not what I’d like, overall 17mpg 21mpg , at seed limit.
When qualifying a truck one needs to differentiate between work or pleasure. By work I mean heavy pulling and hauling, by pleasure I mean daily running to town , going grocery shopping, road trips etc.
My favorite truck work is the 2001 f350 I still own.
Favorite pleasure truck , also a pretty fair work truck, was a 97 dodge 3/4 ton club cab, 5.9 Cummings diesel, 5 speed manual , 8’ box. Probably should have kept that truck but in 01 doge brought out the 6 seed manual tranny, that damn truck was such a lemon I went back to fords.
Won’t buy another Chevy either, dealer p_____d me off, and Chevy took alot of their manufacturing to china, who I hate, the commie bastards.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Caplock
Your opinions & experience

Smoothest ride

Least road noise

Assuming both have road trad tires

Stay away from an offroad package (Z71, FX4, etc.).

Several points made. Should say, both having SAME tires, with same air pressure. Those 2 are meaningful to both ride & road noise, not to mention handling.

Then another good point, off road packages. One brand with an ORP will very like ride stiffer than another that doesn't. Well known the Z71 package used to include larger dia. sway bars & heavy duty shocks.

Then there's the options/grades/packages. A work truck or cheapest of the line won't likely have the cab insulation a higher end model will, etc. etc. So many things to consider for a 1 on 1 evaluation. Been a Chevy guy all my life, but would love to test very similarly equipped C, F, R trucks of same year.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ERK
My 2017 Chevy cost me 5000 dollar repair when the goofy lifters needed replacement.
Edk

That sucks and would give me pause buying a chevy though I've always had then. See rockinbbear's post about govt mandated junk. Lifter problems because of active fuel management, cylinder deactivation.....their way of complying with govt regs. A small block chevy engine was pretty much bombproof up until all this started.

How many miles did you get before your's went out?

Last edited by RJY66; 05/09/24.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do you like the small duramax? I test drove one and liked it in the small sample I had. I ended up with the 6.2 gas, but may go with the 3.0 diesel in my next truck

This is due to the govt mandated DPF & DEF systems that were mandated and implemented before the technology was dependable.

I just cured my F350 from those issues and any future issues. Next will be my big tracked skid steer which I just got back from the 3rd round of being repaired and expensive parts installed that WILL fail again, as long you own the machine. It was toward the end of the emissions warranty this time, so it didn't cost out of pocket, but the next time the emissions fail, I'll cure that myself. wink
Sucks to hear. Gov can fugg up a wet dream for sure. Any idea if the emissions crap can be removed/deleted on the newer trucks? I know you could on the older stuff, but heard the new stuff was nearly impossible

It's very simple. And yes, my F350 is a 2017, but no difference in the 2024 as far as what it takes to do it.
Interesting

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
Same on the tires. My AT4 came with duratracs. While they performed well in the snow, they were extremely noisy and yes I rotate every oil change and they lasted less than 30k. I went with the wildpeaks as well and couldnt be happier

Knock on wood my at4 has been great, 2020 5.3 with 64k, I did have the rear window leak and completely replaced. I started using the lucas upper cylinder lubricant in it every oil change. Hope it helps the longevity, its not hurting anything and its cheap.

From what I understand, ford and chevy using the same 10speed now, they are just programmed a little different.
Same here. Mine has the 6.2. Thing is the best 6.2 on fuel that Ive ever driven. If Im not driving it like I stole it, easy to get great mileage. Got 22 mpg going to the beach last summer. Pretty happy with it currently

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My 6.2 had less than 70000 easy miles when the lifters puked. I ha d already put a fuel pump in for an 800 dollar bill. When they did the lifters the checkout also showed the injection pump under the intake was weak.
Hoping my Ford does a little better. Edk

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SupFoo
This one is easy......

First On Race Day
Fix Or Repair Dailey

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Same here. Mine has the 6.2. Thing is the best 6.2 on fuel that Ive ever driven. If Im not driving it like I stole it, easy to get great mileage. Got 22 mpg going to the beach last summer. Pretty happy with it currently[/quote]

I think a lot of folks are driving them like they stole them, why you see more 6.2 issues than the 5.3. People putting in tuners to turn off the afm, or putting in in L9 which supposedly disables it, I always turn the autostop button off as soon as I crank the truck, habit now. But in the end, same junk lifters. They are actually selling cam and lifter kits to get rid of it all together, but come on, you shouldnt have to spend that kind of money to make it dependable. GM service tech we shoot clays with says its a revolving door at their dealership of these trucks needs banks of lifters or entire engine replacements. They have seen data that its about 1 in 20 that end up having the issue.

The precovid trucks seem to be the somewhat safer options but it still happens, 21 and on its been real bad, I think GM just did a TSB for 2023s for lifter replacements. There was one between fall 2020 and spring 2021 too. Mine just missed it so fingers crossed.

Last edited by killerv; 05/09/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Mine is an SLT Crew 4x4, 2022 version with 32k. I've not had a minute of trouble with it of any kind (knock on wood), it runs like a champ, averages 23 mpg since new. Mostly flat ground out here in W TX, but I can set the cruise on 75 and still get 27mpg, around 30 at 70mph. Pulled my 6500lb camper easily at 13mpg. My son's same truck model has 42k with zero issues and much the same mileage. 100k power train warranty, FWIW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 2007 silverado, 4.8 motor, auto trans.
Rode nice had no issues at all with it, till I rolled it on a 2 track.
My current is a 2018 f150, 3.5 twin turbo xl, 4wd crewcab.
Rides smoother than the silverado, better gas, 16 in town, up to 25 on interstates, not towing. Towing a 7x12 trailer w SxS on it drops to 12 to 15 mpg on hiways.
Plenty of Hp, no issues, 96k on it.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Used to have a 05 z71 5.3 bad azz dual exhaust until they rusted off🤦 fuel line rusted + brake line didn’t figure out the brake issue until I went down my steep azz driveway holy fuqk🤯😂

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Smoothest ride

Least road noise

Very fair comparison...

They both suck...

Buy a Tundra.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had both. Currently an '18 Lariat with the 3.5l. I've owned 2 Tahoes. All with the 5.3l. That being said, each has their attributes and faults.

F150 with the 3.5 gets around 19mpg for compared to 16 for the 5.3 on a good day. The F150 is like cornering the USS Forrestal and the Chevy has a much tighter turning radius. It's noticeable when trying to squeeze into parking spaces. The 150 is longer than my Tahoes by a good bit, even with the 5' bed. I'd say the Chevy was a better off-road vehicle. It went through some pretty gnarly stuff. The Ford did too, but the Lariat has some more road oriented Hankooks on it and I ran Coopers on the Tahoes. I'd say the ride is pretty equal, all things considered. The 3.5l twin turbos likes to run - lots of giddy up.

As far as repairs go, the Ford had to have the cam phasers replaced. I got that done just under the wire at 60K, otherwise it would've been $5K. The electronic running boards (I didn't want them, but had no choice) freeze up with snow or mud on them and they have to be cleaned and lubed to get them to deploy again. I have periodic electronic shutdown while I'm taking off from a stop or accelerating. I suspect that when they replaced the cam phasers the alternator plug was damaged. Still going around with Ford on that. As for the Chevys, I replaced two trans, a rear seal and thats about it with 350K miles between them. Not too bad.

In the end, it's what you feel most comfortable in and what fits your budget. My brother just bought a King Ranch. Sticker was over a $100K. That buys a lot of Chevy...jus sayin'

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Truck threads with guys talking about fuel mileage are worthless.

Truck threads with guys posting about 20 year old trucks with transmissions and engines that are 4 generations old are worthless.

Truck threads with guys posting about corps taking QE in 2008 are worthless. At this point every dollar in corporate America had been kissed by another dollar .gov printed.

Find a Truck you like, buy it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Smoothest ride

Least road noise

Very fair comparison...

They both suck...

Buy a Tundra.

Agreed! Go with Toyota.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 2020 Silverado and now have a 2023 F-150. I loved them both. The Fords seats are a little more comfortable. In 2026 I may buy a Ram and see what I think of them

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 260madman, 45 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,600
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.