Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Social pressure. If you read the Bible, it makes no sense. If someone else tells you what it says, it all makes sense and you create Christianity.
Christians were 100X more obnoxious and dangerous in those days than they are now, so it was play along or get killed or ostracized...they're not very open minded. These days they're on the verge of irrelevance, and I can't wait to watch Christianity's influence in American die off.
I have really seen some whoppers on the Freire, but I’ll nominate this one as the stupidest reply ever! You say crap like this and say that Christians are close minded?? 😳

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Social pressure. If you read the Bible, it makes no sense. If someone else tells you what it says, it all makes sense and you create Christianity.
Christians were 100X more obnoxious and dangerous in those days than they are now, so it was play along or get killed or ostracized...they're not very open minded. These days they're on the verge of irrelevance, and I can't wait to watch Christianity's influence in American die off.

Some of my worst encounters with People were Christians. Fact!
If you want good people to do horrible things, add in religion.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

You are witnessing it right now with changes in our modern culture, rather, cancer in our modern culture.

Please, tell us how much better things are becoming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Mystics of Spirit, Mystics of Muscle."

- Atlas Shrugged -

Even faced with knowledge, people just don't want to think, and be human.

And their survival depends on it.

Huh...

GR

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
What is knowledge?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IZH27
What is knowledge?

A is A.

GR

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by antlers
…of modern science believed that Christianity was true…? Men such as Descartes, Newton, Kepler, Galileo, Locke, Copernicus, Faraday, Kelvin, and Pasteur.

Oops, maybe your information source is not that accurate....De Luzzi, Copernicus,Gallileo, Descartes, Newton, Hutton, and of course the horrible Darwin...were all PUNISHED by the Holy Roman Church. Galileo was given a life sentence of house arrest upon pain of death (for suggesting that the earth revolved around the sun. Heresy!!!
Remarkable similarity between the freedom of speech policies of Christianity and Islam and Marxist speech policies.
Find another argument...this one can't stand sunlight.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
…of modern science believed that Christianity was true…? Men such as Descartes, Newton, Kepler, Galileo, Locke, Copernicus, Faraday, Kelvin, and Pasteur.

Because, as Will Rogers said: "Everyone Is Ignorant, Only In Different Subjects".

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Oops, maybe your information source is not that accurate....De Luzzi, Copernicus,Gallileo, Descartes, Newton, Hutton, and of course the horrible Darwin...were all PUNISHED by the Holy Roman Church. Galileo was given a life sentence of house arrest upon pain of death (for suggesting that the earth revolved around the sun. Heresy!!!
Remarkable similarity between the freedom of speech policies of Christianity and Islam and Marxist speech policies.

The persecutors of the scientists were not Christian. They were a political cult calling themselves Christian. They were the same kind of religious people who killed Jesus.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by flintlocke

The persecutors of the scientists were not Christian. They were a political cult calling themselves Christian. They were the same kind of religious people who killed Jesus.

[Linked Image from my.evilmilk.com]

GR

IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

Some of my worst encounters with People were Christians. Fact!
If you want good people to do horrible things, add in religion.

That is just not borne out by the facts.

Stalin and Mao killed millions upon millions in defiance of religion.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is it true that there are those who ‘still’ hold a position that religion and science have been in conflict throughout history…especially among those in atheistic circles…even though that position has lost support among most contemporary historians of science…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A few Catholics: Gregor Mendel’sresesrch in genetics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

George’s LeMaitre, priest and father of the Big Bang theory

https://en.unav.edu/web/ciencia-razon-y-fe/ciencia-y-fe-el-origen-del-universo-georges-lemaitre-el-padre-del-big-bang#:~:text=The%2520theory%2520of%2520the%2520Big,and%2520Catholic%2520priest%2520Georges%2520Lema%C3%AEtre.

Pope Benedict 16th faith and reason

https://rlo.acton.org/archives/124134-faith-and-reason-in-the-life-and-work-of-benedict-xvi.html?amp

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman
Because they hadn't been educated beyond their intelligence.
explains a lot...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Is it true that there are those who ‘still’ hold a position that religion and science have been in conflict throughout history…especially among those in atheistic circles…even though that position has lost support among most contemporary historians of science…?

New atheists like Dawkins, Hitchins, Harris are losing influence as true scientist who continually question are looking deeper into the why of it all.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Garandimal

- Atlas Shrugged -

Huh...

GR

The great flaw with Rand... is that she hated Deontology...

And thus she faltered.

Regardless... she provokes intellectualism... and for that she gets a small pass.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

- Atlas Shrugged -

Huh...

GR

And thus she faltered.

Regardless... she provokes intellectualism... and for that she gets a small pass.

Most people hate to think...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing

- Atlas Shrugged -

Huh...

GR

And thus she faltered.

She tried to pass off sociopathy as a philosophy.

Last edited by RHOD; 05/10/24.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RHOD
She tried to pass off sociopathy as a philosophy.

She was born in Russia in 1905...

That puts her thru both wars.

Her hatred of Fascism is obvious.

BUT what was her Love?

Self?

Pure ruination dat be.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Remember what happened to Galileo just for publishing the theory of heliocentricism? He spent the last nine years of his life under arrest.

Copernicus died before the Inquisition could get hold of him.

This is inaccurate.

The church had no problem with heliocentricis.

It was accepted as a theory, but technology was not advanced enough to make a scientific proof.

The church resisted calling it a proven fact and was satisfied when it was dealt with as a scientific theory/discussion. Copernicus was fine with thus

Galileo was satisfied with that for many years.

But egos got involved. At one point he wrote a paper that contained an insult to the Pope (Pope Urbain?). He used an argument suggested by the Pope and labeled as made by a moron (rough translation).

Link to an extensive article on the topic

https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-galileo-controversy

Sure, the fact that heliocentricism made liars of every Pope and Bishop through history who had claimed that God had created Man and Earth as the center of the Universe had nothing to do with their problems.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,226
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.