Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought I would check in regarding my first use of the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42.
I went to the range today and found that as I moved the power ring from 6x to 12 x the focus needed adjustment. Moving back from 12 to 6x required adjustment of the focus back to where it started. I don’t like that. The adjustable objective was set at 100 yds as that was the distance at which I was shooting.
Also the cross hairs and the target don’t appear to be quite on the same plane. When I adjust the focus for one or the other, the other one, either the target or the cross hairs are just slightly out of focus. The scope mounted easily and tracked sighting in easily. The glass clarity seemed to my 77 year old eyes to be sharp except for the focus thing I mentioned above. On my second trip to the range today I tried changing the parallax adjustment to see if that might fix my focusing problem. Nope! Focus at 6x, move the power to 12x and the scope was badly out of focus. Go back to 6 x after focusing at 12x and again it is badly out of focus.
Bottom line is that I feel like I wasted my money on the scope. I wouldn’t recommend buying another one.

Rolly
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'
Thanks for the report !
For an inexpensive scope, I'm going to try an Arken.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
doesn't sound like a 'hunting optic' to me...isn't there a sub forum where the range toys can be discussed, where all the extra gizmos that are useless for hunting and if it doesn't work well it doesn't matter section? where all target crap should be discussed? lmao....weekly reminder, what section we are in and to give some p1ss wink

isn't there a nickname for this brand? crap something?....Crapalon?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rolly
Thought I would check in regarding my first use of the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42.
I went to the range today and found that as I moved the power ring from 6x to 12 x the focus needed adjustment. Moving back from 12 to 6x required adjustment of the focus back to where it started. I don’t like that. The adjustable objective was set at 100 yds as that was the distance at which I was shooting.
Also the cross hairs and the target don’t appear to be quite on the same plane
. When I adjust the focus for one or the other, the other one, either the target or the cross hairs are just slightly out of focus. The scope mounted easily and tracked sighting in easily. The glass clarity seemed to my 77 year old eyes to be sharp except for the focus thing I mentioned above. On my second trip to the range today I tried changing the parallax adjustment to see if that might fix my focusing problem. Nope! Focus at 6x, move the power to 12x and the scope was badly out of focus. Go back to 6 x after focusing at 12x and again it is badly out of focus.
Bottom line is that I feel like I wasted my money on the scope. I wouldn’t recommend buying another one.

The range numbers on parallax adjustments are sometimes suggestions at best.

The parallax adjustment is there to put the target and reticle in the same plane.

1. Adjust the reticle focus against the blue sky or other blank background using the eyepiece.

2. Aim at the target and use the parallax adjustment to put the reticle and target images in the same plane. Ignore the numbers on the parallax adjustment while doing this.

The focus shifts between magnifications shouldn't be happening.

1 member likes this: Deerhunter78
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman
Also the cross hairs and the target don’t appear to be quite on the same plane
. When I adjust the focus for one or the other, the other one, either the target or the cross hairs are just slightly out of focus. The scope mounted easily and tracked sighting in easily. The glass clarity seemed to my 77 year old eyes to be sharp except for the focus thing I mentioned above. On my second trip to the range today I tried changing the parallax adjustment to see if that might fix my focusing problem. Nope! Focus at 6x, move the power to 12x and the scope was badly out of focus. Go back to 6 x after focusing at 12x and again it is badly out of focus.

The range numbers on parallax adjustments are sometimes suggestions at best.

The parallax adjustment is there to put the target and reticle in the same plane.

1. Adjust the reticle focus against the blue sky or other blank background using the eyepiece.

2. Aim at the target and use the parallax adjustment to put the reticle and target images in the same plane. Ignore the numbers on the parallax adjustment while doing this.

The focus shifts between magnifications shouldn't be happening.

That is correct.

Not to cast aspersions, but Rolly's entire post reads like user error, but of course there could always be a scope problem.

Last edited by Deerhunter78; 05/10/24.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prezactly. Hint.

As mentioned initially,the Mil/Mil interface is far more forgiving,on this particular optic. Hint.

Just sayin’…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Also the cross hairs and the target don’t appear to be quite on the same plane. When I adjust the focus for one or the other, the other one, either the target or the cross hairs are just slightly out of focus. The scope mounted easily and tracked sighting in easily. The glass clarity seemed to my 77 year old eyes to be sharp except for the focus thing I mentioned above. On my second trip to the range today I tried changing the parallax adjustment to see if that might fix my focusing problem. Nope! Focus at 6x, move the power to 12x and the scope was badly out of focus. Go back to 6 x after focusing at 12x and again it is badly out of focus.

I don't have that problem with my Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42. It works as it should.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
doesn't sound like a 'hunting optic' to me...isn't there a sub forum where the range toys can be discussed, where all the extra gizmos that are useless for hunting and if it doesn't work well it doesn't matter section? where all target crap should be discussed? lmao....weekly reminder, what section we are in and to give some p1ss wink

I've got one, and so far I've used it on deer from 15 to 680m - if it wasn't made in China I'd say it was pretty much perfect as a hunting optic. Maybe the dot could be a little smaller, but otherwise I don't have any complaints.

1 member likes this: beretzs
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

That's what my uncle would call 10 pounds of stupid stuffed in a 5 pound sack.

1 member likes this: RPN
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RPN

I've got one, and so far I've used it on deer from 15 to 680m - if it wasn't made in China I'd say it was pretty much perfect as a hunting optic. Maybe the dot could be a little smaller, but otherwise I don't have any complaints.

lmao, can do it even better with a duplex, a turret, and 4 wind hold points in inches....who's got this hunting thing figured out again? less is more...that's how it works, Murphy said so, it's funny what people will drag up a mountain though, as you do more of it, so long as you actually study the contents of your pack after each trip and toss what you don't use or isn't survival based, then you get pretty dang set up for the actual task at hand....and get better and faster at it, no different than for hunting vs prs haha...they aren not even close to related, there's more fat in prs setup and gear than on Rita McNeil....anyway, this education wouldn't be required if crapalon prs gear was discussed in an appropriate subforum...not an actual hunting forum haha

meters? gee I wonder what that means?....lmfao

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/10/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 'fixed' a good number of problem scopes by going back to square #1 and correctly focusing the reticle for the individuals vision. If that's not done from the start, scopes can act more than a bit fussy.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
1 member likes this: RPN
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Most of the problem description in the original post sounds like user error and could be addressed by following mathman’s instructions that are echoed in Al’s post.

Last edited by drano 25; 05/10/24.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a side hustle as the RSO at the range.

I'll bet 90%? of the people with problems sighting in their hunting rifles think the parallax is the focus, and they complain about the reticle being fuzzy.

When i show them how to focus the reticle first, then use parallax to focus the target, they're blown away.

Ponderous, what?

Last edited by David_Walter; 05/10/24.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should have bought a Leupold. Then the same people would be blaming the scope with no mention of user error.

LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KenMi
Should have bought a Leupold. Then the same people would be blaming the scope with no mention of user error.

LOL

#clueless

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by RPN

lmao, can do it even better with a duplex, a turret, and 4 wind hold points in inches....who's got this hunting thing figured out again? less is more...that's how it works, Murphy said so, it's funny what people will drag up a mountain though, as you do more of it, so long as you actually study the contents of your pack after each trip and toss what you don't use or isn't survival based, then you get pretty dang set up for the actual task at hand....and get better and faster at it, no different than for hunting vs prs haha...they aren not even close to related, there's more fat in prs setup and gear than on Rita McNeil....anyway, this education wouldn't be required if crapalon prs gear was discussed in an appropriate subforum...not an actual hunting forum haha

Thanks for that Dude, I appreciate the advice.

A meter is like a yard, but sized larger for grown-ups.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RPN
Originally Posted by RPN

I figured as much. I'm from Canada bro, I speak both fluently. That one went way over your head...when you start speaking in 'meters' you reveal many things lol. Keep doing your prs stuff, send those sighters...you a real killa out there I'm sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Don't "forget" that Imitation is the MOST Sincere form of Flattery,as you punctuate your Delusions. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RPN

I figured as much. I'm from Canada bro, I speak both fluently. That one went way over your head...when you start speaking in 'meters' you reveal many things lol. Keep doing your prs stuff, send those sighters...you a real killa out there I'm sure.
How to say you know nothing about PRS without saying you know nothing about PRS.

crazy

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by RPN
Originally Posted by RPN

I've never shot prs, but living in a country with a year long season and no limits I have shot a few deer with ffp scopes, and before that a few more with sfp. For me, ffp is better.

Metric was standardized here in 1967, and while I've used both metric and imperial measurements all my life for both fabrication and machining, I wonder what the "many things " my use of meters tells you are - and how many of them are just inside your head.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 260madman, 47 invisible), 3,209 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,600
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.