Campfire Outfitter
C
Four legged appetites..........

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is our visitor, neighbor's 1200 pound black angus bull that went through our five strand fence, broke three 6" fence posts off. When I got him back in his fence, repaired my fence, then went back to our house, that big bugger damned near beat me back to my house. He has a bad habit of grabbing a mouth full of grass and pulling it up by the roots, leaves a basket ball size hole to the dirt with every bite.

They have an electric fence but do not keep it up. Already told them, making steaks is the next step.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by killerv
I ripped up our entire flower bed when we moved in, on one side I planted 6 oakleaf hydrangeas. They find them every year. 6ft and blooming one day, still 6feet the next without any leaves. Just found them again the other night but didn't hit them too bad. Irish springs around the plants doesn't work, the spray repellent can be a pain to constantly apply.

I've planted at least 24-30 azaleas around the yard, I think I had only one of my natives bloom this year, they nibble on the tips and I never have buds to bloom the next year. My encores halfway bloom since they can throughout the season but my natives almost never bloom due to the browsing.

Mexican petunias are a lost cause too, they keep them mowed down. They all but walk on my front porch to get to whats in my flower pots.

I've probably put out 50 daffodil bulbs around the yard, they'll come up but they eat the flowers as soon as they emerge.

Don't even get me started on my muscadine vine.

Good on you for feeding the deer, although it isn't recommended. lol

Well, I used to keep a feeder out, nice to watch and fun for the boys. But I stopped because it kept them around even more.

As far as dogs, yes I have two, deer are so used to dogs in our neighborhood it means nothing. My gsp will go all the way to the end of the efence and a deer be eating corn 10 yards away ignoring her. It's like they know they cant get out. She'll also eat every muscadine she can reach.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I ripped up our entire flower bed when we moved in, on one side I planted 6 oakleaf hydrangeas. They find them every year. 6ft and blooming one day, still 6feet the next without any leaves. Just found them again the other night but didn't hit them too bad. Irish springs around the plants doesn't work, the spray repellent can be a pain to constantly apply.

I've planted at least 24-30 azaleas around the yard, I think I had only one of my natives bloom this year, they nibble on the tips and I never have buds to bloom the next year. My encores halfway bloom since they can throughout the season but my natives almost never bloom due to the browsing.

Mexican petunias are a lost cause too, they keep them mowed down. They all but walk on my front porch to get to whats in my flower pots.

I've probably put out 50 daffodil bulbs around the yard, they'll come up but they eat the flowers as soon as they emerge.

Don't even get me started on my muscadine vine.

Good on you for feeding the deer, although it isn't recommended. lol

Well, I used to keep a feeder out, nice to watch and fun for the boys. But I stopped because it kept them around even more.

As far as dogs, yes I have two, deer are so used to dogs in our neighborhood it means nothing. My gsp will go all the way to the end of the efence and a deer be eating corn 10 yards away ignoring her. It's like they know they cant get out. She'll also eat every muscadine she can reach.

Yeah, I know. I was just funnin.

I planted 240 new trees shorty after we moved in. That I know of, I only had deer try to bother them once. I hollered at them and the dog chased them out of the yard. Now the damn rabbits are another story. They have all but killed my mature apple tree. I normally use .22 lr to take care of them but on occasion, it's fun to take their heads off with the 22-250.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The only squirrels we have here are introduced Fox squirrels. They're a big menace in the fruit trees but at the same time, they spend many hours eating fallen maple seeds that would otherwise sprout. It saves me from having to cut them off by the hundreds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
EVERYTHING. And not just the deer. Elk and moose join in on the feast. We cannot grow anything that some critter doesn't eat. The little bit of stubble left is eaten by jackrabbits or cottontails.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's money to be made walking your pet mountain lion around urbanites yards once a week.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rapier
They have an electric fence but do not keep it up. Already told them, making steaks is the next step.

It charged me, I had no choice but to shoot.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Gardenias, daffodils, plumeria leaves and “baby spiders” off our spider plants. The plumerias have a milky sap so we were really surprised when the deer went after them.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerhunter78
Don't any of you have dogs?

Four of them and the deer seem to know exactly where they are at all times. I can shine a light in the woods and see 5 or 6 sets of eyes 20 feet on the safe side of the efence.

Its like running a prison where the inmates are constantly trying to break in instead of out.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only squirrels we have here are introduced Fox squirrels. They're a big menace in the fruit trees but at the same time, they spend many hours eating fallen maple seeds that would otherwise sprout. It saves me from having to cut them off by the hundreds.

Those SOB's eat the siding on our house!
The first time we re-stained the house, I am thinking that exterior stains are now soy based?

Shoot every one of them that comes in the yard now.

FJB & FJT
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Deer won’t eat as much as a moose…

Winter or summer! Added a couple rows of blocks to the iffy corner yesterday- planting days are almost here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
We have a pretty little creek as the back border of our yard. Big maple, willow, ash, mulberry, crabapple trees and lilac and cranberry bushes border the creek banks. From that creek bank to the road in front of the house is the War Zone. For the last nine years I’ve fought to try to have a few decorative plants and flowers. Going to throw in the towel after this year. Can’t keep ahead of the rabbits and deer.

A damn ‘coon just tipped over my yard waste barrel…why? Nothing in there but twigs and dead flowers. The Vartarg is sitting next to the fireplace. If we were back on the farm, that coon would be hurtin’!

Speaking of coons my buddy fried a turkey last year and then put the oil in a 5gal bucket lined with a contractor bag then put it in the back of his truck to take to the county dumpster. That night coons got in there and knocked the bucket over. Next morning he had greasy coon prints all over his truck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rapier
This is our visitor, neighbor's 1200 pound black angus bull that went through our five strand fence, broke three 6" fence posts off. When I got him back in his fence, repaired my fence, then went back to our house, that big bugger damned near beat me back to my house. He has a bad habit of grabbing a mouth full of grass and pulling it up by the roots, leaves a basket ball size hole to the dirt with every bite.

That is a really cool looking yard.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 46 invisible), 3,262 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.