Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I checked out last week. H224, which I use in my.223 is $45, 4350 is $75!
Lucky I bought a big can a while back. I may be somewhat of a hoarder, but nowadays you have to be. Still can’t buy LR Primers though but small rifle are around most places.
But for hunting and reasonable target practice, I Can cinch up my belt a little, but I’ll survive.
I still believe this shortage stuff is orchestrated by the government. They’ve been manipulating everything else! They want us under control, and they’re doing it incrementally.
Reon

Believe whatever you want, but nitrocellulose is a commodity used all over the world for lots of stuff, not just powder, and the production is in the hands of relatively few people, not all our friends by any means. Powder makers are located all over the globe, and they compete not only with each other, but with paint manufacturers, the makers of Compound W, playing card makers, and more for the available supply. Just another thumb on the Inflation Scale……

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From Wikidiki, I laughed out loud when I read this:

Because of its explosive nature, not all applications of nitrocellulose were successful. In 1869, with elephants having been poached to near extinction, the billiards industry offered a US$10,000 prize to whoever came up with the best replacement for ivory billiard balls. John Wesley Hyatt created the winning replacement, which he created with a new material he invented, called camphored nitrocellulose—the first thermoplastic, better known as celluloid. The invention enjoyed a brief popularity, but the Hyatt balls were extremely flammable, and sometimes portions of the outer shell would explode upon impact. An owner of a billiard saloon in Colorado wrote to Hyatt about the explosive tendencies, saying that he did not mind very much personally but for the fact that every man in his saloon immediately pulled a gun at the sound.[55][56] The process used by Hyatt to manufacture the billiard balls, patented in 1881,[57] involved placing the mass of nitrocellulose in a rubber bag, which was then placed in a cylinder of liquid and heated. Pressure was applied to the liquid in the cylinder, which resulted in a uniform compression on the nitrocellulose mass, compressing it into a uniform sphere as the heat vaporized the solvents. The ball was then cooled and turned to make a uniform sphere. In light of the explosive results, this process was called the "Hyatt gun method".[58]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Nollij
So the Hodgdon position gets stronger.

What else is there? Vihtavuori and Shooters World? More interesting loading days ahead.

Any word from any of the other manufacturers?

Thanks for posting SW.

How so? The makers of the powders they sell depend on the availability of nitrocellulose too. Once the stockpiles of that disappear, everyone is screwed. Won’t be long before governments declare it as “essential war material” or whatever term they use. Might get very tight for recreational shooters; already is for some I guess.

This is where I usually say I already have all I need, but this time I’ll refrain from that…..

Alliant just removed themselves from the market. When Hodgdon does the same, (and that may happen very soon) I’ll re-evaluate my take.

It makes me wonder about the RCBS acquisition. Why would they want to sell reloading hardware if no one can get powder. Maybe they feel most folks have stockpiled powder, and hardware sales will continue unabated. I really don’t know. My two cents.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn’t know that about billiard balls. Interesting…
Maybe some of you chemist with a dream of hitting the jackpot can dream something up.
In the meantime, I call it as a see it ! Take a look around at what’s going on everywhere and do the math!
Maybe I am a paranoid conspiracy theorist. But I think not.
Too many black swans running around not to be, IMHO.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pulled the firearms and put my reloading components in the safe.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
I pulled the firearms and put my reloading components in the safe.

I'm pretty sure that makes a bomb....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the Hodgdon position gets stronger.

What else is there? Vihtavuori and Shooters World? More interesting loading days ahead.

Any word from any of the other manufacturers?

Thanks for posting SW.

How so? The makers of the powders they sell depend on the availability of nitrocellulose too. Once the stockpiles of that disappear, everyone is screwed. Won’t be long before governments declare it as “essential war material” or whatever term they use. Might get very tight for recreational shooters; already is for some I guess.

This is where I usually say I already have all I need, but this time I’ll refrain from that…..

Alliant just removed themselves from the market. When Hodgdon does the same, (and that may happen very soon) I’ll re-evaluate my take.

It makes me wonder about the RCBS acquisition. Why would they want to sell reloading hardware if no one can get powder. Maybe they feel most folks have stockpiled powder, and hardware sales will continue unabated. I really don’t know. My two cents.

Perhaps Alliant removed themselves from the civilian market in order to meet their contract obligations to the military and ammunition industry. I imagine those customers should be easier to deal with since they buy in barrels, not little jugs. You may recall that production of some newish IMR powders have been temporarily suspended for that reason.

While some powders are hard to get and all are more expensive, it is available and this guncotton shortage will likely end at some point, so the the purchase of RCBS gives them a foothold in the loading equipment business with an established and respected product line. Certainly seems better to me than starting from scratch with its attendant costs.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Went to Alliant site,,,,,,,,,,, no mention.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got enough powder and primers to last at least 5 to7 yrs

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
worded like a true politician or some marketing guy...

translated, we are telling the world that nitrocellulose is in a world wide shortage ( create a problem that doesn't exist to create panic in the market) so we are suspending sales for an unknown period of time ( so we are going to quit making it so we can push the panic and the nonexistent problem further down the track ) " for an unknown period of time"...( we will be monitoring this to see who long we can maximize market panicking, so at the right time we can suddenly solve the problem, but with the public "expecting dramatically HIGHER prices!")..

This is just manipulation of the market and the industry is just selling out to the leftist democRATIC party, while the selling out is good.

Screw these powder companies, and their lying management and marketing "Guru Jews"..

how to destroy a market from within, if the players all come out financially ahead.

FUGG"UM!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a younger buddy ask me last week, if I would teach him to reload, I said I would if he wanted me too. But he shoots and Hunts with standard cal. That it's to hard to find the components now days. Better off just stocking up on ammo!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I checked out last week. H224, which I use in my.223 is $45, 4350 is $75!
Lucky I bought a big can a while back. I may be somewhat of a hoarder, but nowadays you have to be. Still can’t buy LR Primers though but small rifle are around most places.
But for hunting and reasonable target practice, I Can cinch up my belt a little, but I’ll survive.
I still believe this shortage stuff is orchestrated by the government. They’ve been manipulating everything else! They want us under control, and they’re doing it incrementally.
Reon

Believe whatever you want, but nitrocellulose is a commodity used all over the world for lots of stuff, not just powder, and the production is in the hands of relatively few people, not all our friends by any means. Powder makers are located all over the globe, and they compete not only with each other, but with paint manufacturers, the makers of Compound W, playing card makers, and more for the available supply. Just another thumb on the Inflation Scale……

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose
It's a [bleep] Gov't conspiracy to burden the production and distribution of gun powder.

Look at all the shipping regulations on it, all the EPA and whatever environmental agencies other govts have on it's production. One of the first shortages of Varget was caused by (and is still affected by) Aussie shipping regulations placed on overseas shipments, no doubt coordinated with the UN.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by saddlering
Had a younger buddy ask me last week, if I would teach him to reload, I said I would if he wanted me too. But he shoots and Hunts with standard cal. That it's to hard to find the components now days. Better off just stocking up on ammo!

Correct answer is "Both"... I have a reasonable (for me) stash of factory ammo for my most often used chamberings. And I have more than enough reloading components to last until my demise, and then some...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wouldn't be thrilled to have to buy Chinese gunpowder, but on the other hand Chinese fireworks always seem to go boom !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First it was the manual transmission and now the nitrocellulose! FFS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are to believe that the cost increase of a pound of smokeless powder from $16 a pound to $70 a pound was due to the price of a base chemical like nitrocellulose?

That’s the story we’re asked to swallow?

The US wholesale price of nitrocellulose has increased from about $3,100 to $3,400 a metric ton in the last 12 months. So it’s under $2/lb, and the price increased about $0.20 per lb. https://www.intratec.us/chemical-markets/nitrocellulose-price

Alliant, I would welcome your further explanation of your price increases due to “increased costs”.

A buck a pound, heck, I’m feeling generous, call it a two buck increase. Twenty, forty, let alone sixty bucks a pound? That’s caused by something different than the price increase of nitrocellulose.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
We are to believe that the cost increase of a pound of smokeless powder from $16 a pound to $70 a pound was due to the price of a base chemical like nitrocellulose?

That’s the story we’re asked to swallow?

The US wholesale price of nitrocellulose has increased from about $3,100 to $3,400 a metric ton in the last 12 months. So it’s under $2/lb, and the price increased about $0.20 per lb. https://www.intratec.us/chemical-markets/nitrocellulose-price

Alliant, I would welcome your further explanation of your price increases due to “increased costs”.

A buck a pound, heck, I’m feeling generous, call it a two buck increase. Twenty, forty, let alone sixty bucks a pound? That’s caused by something different than the price increase of nitrocellulose.

They learned they could charge more so they are.

1 member likes this: Barney_Fife
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These storm clouds were on the horizon during the Clinton years.

Should have been stockpiling then.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's only one powder manufacturer left in the USA - St Mark's.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 18,528 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,967
Posts18,539,835
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.