Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a BLR in .308 Win. that I really like. I would like to dull up the shiny finish. I heard of using 0000 steel wool.

What other options do I have or should I strip it and put an oil finish on it?

Last edited by rahtreelimbs; 01/24/10. Reason: added info
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Stripping a Browning finish is notoriously hard to do; I'd stick with the steel wool and then if you really can't live with it, sell the rifle or restock.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Stay away from the steel wool. It will leave metal in the finish. I'd try rottenstone first. Should be able to get it down to a nice matte finish with rottenstone.

Last edited by mtnman1; 01/24/10.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Automotive Rubbing compound.....mild abrasive, use as little or as much as you want to achieve desired results...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Would 1200 or 1500 wet-dry sandpaper work???

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A fella posted pics of an A-Bolt that he took the shiny off of on here a couple days ago. Looked really good.

I've got a Rem 700 that the previous owner did the same thing, looks veddy nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a rubbing compound like those from Midway or Brownell, then finish up with Rottenstone.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used steel wool on my BLR. It worked well.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I used steel wool on my BLR. It worked well.

Jeff could you please post a good closeup pic???

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think it is best to start with about 280 grit wet or dry paper with a sanding block used lightly. Then quickly graduate up to 400 through 600 grit. When the shine and orange peel look have been removed start using a circular motion for sanding rather than the customary with the grain. Keep checking and might want to stop at 400 grit. Then rub with a felt pad and pumice, if it starts looking too shiny then use the circular rubbing pattern. If it looks too glossy go back to the courser compounds. Flush off and check, if it looks good then I wax but do not buff for protection.

I've found that Rotten Stone and most commercial rubbing compounds are too fine and produce a satin gloss.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Azzhat....

God, its gonna be a long ride to Saratoga....... eek

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call Brownells. Ask for tech support. Brownell's makes a whole bunch of stock "polishing" compounds. What you take off you can't put back. NEVER use steel wool on wood unless you like rusty wood.
Go to a marine place and get Bronze wool if you need to use any metal wool on wood. (Yes, I have restored quite a few wooden boats)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Call Brownells. Ask for tech support. Brownell's makes a whole bunch of stock "polishing" compounds. What you take off you can't put back. NEVER use steel wool on wood unless you like rusty wood.
Go to a marine place and get Bronze wool if you need to use any metal wool on wood. (Yes, I have restored quite a few wooden boats)

Only you would know about "Rusty Wood" laugh Guess you haven't ever heard of a tack rag? or a air compressor?

Last edited by BlackDog1; 01/24/10.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bear-Tex pads are lightyears better than steel wool and rottenstone is all that anyone needs to rub out a stock. Use it on a piece of felt with mineral oil as a carrier. Work in large areas wih long strokes. If you try to use small circles you will never get the small areas to blend together. With the long strokes the eggshell luster will sneak up on you a bit...

Sanding with 280 grit paper when working on the sheen is way out of line.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Bear-Tex pads are lightyears better than steel wool and rottenstone is all that anyone needs to rub out a stock. Use it on a piece of felt with mineral oil as a carrier. Work in large areas wih long strokes. If you try to use small circles you will never get the small areas to blend together. With the long strokes the eggshell luster will sneak up on you a bit...

Sanding with 280 grit paper when working on the sheen is way out of line.
art

+1
IME.. rottenstone is like brylcream...a dab will do ya and use enough carrier so that its a lubricant and doesn't become a thick black muddy mess, you don't need to bear down on the felt pad either, do it with feeling. I've also used G-B Lin-Speed with rottenstone and when it's rubbed out evenly, I use the palm of my hand and rub some more until the stock feels dry to the touch. Has a soft satin, egg shell,hand rubbed oil finish look then.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i'm not saying to use wet/dry paper but if you were to try to use it and on a stock that already had a factory glass like finish i would not use anything under 800-1000 to start. because of the /radiused/curve profile on most stocks, backing it up with a 1/4" thick dense sponge will help to keep the abrasive uniformaly applied to the surface. i would finish with 2000 grit and pumice stone.
i have also heard of people useing 0000 steel wool and good old fashion floor paste wax as the carrier and achieving good results but i have never done that myself and is posed here more as a question for others to comment on if they have used it or have seen it done.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 01/25/10.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black Dog, if your stupidity ONLY affected your crap work, I'd let it go BUT I'd hate to see someone go to all the effort to refinsh a piece of wood that goes out in the rain and have it end up with little orange rust spots where the steel wood ended up embedded in the wood grain. There is a reason Bronze wool is made and it is not because it looks nice. Perhaps a Subscription to Wooden Boat magazine might teach your dumb azz why steel wool is NEVER used on ANY wood that is subject to getting wet. Futher if you are so dense as to think a tack rag pulls embedded steel wool out of wood, you apparently have never subscribed to Fine Woodworking. You better stick with building decks with PT wood and synthetic stocks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well... Its obvious that among your other talents you can't read and comprehension isn't your forte' either
1. I didn't suggest steel wool on a raw wood stock.
2. On a already finished wood product steel wool is fine provided you use a tack rag/air compressor to remove all the fibers.You are knocking the shine off the finish, not raw wood. Its also a common industry practice.
3. If you had taken the time to comprehend the above post you would have noted that I plussed one and added a few suggestions that I use with rottenstone.

Since the OP is about knocking the high gloss shine off a Browning and not about a total refinish maybe you had better go back an re-read your Fine Woodworking Mags. Dumbazz

- Winston Churchill-

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
rahtreelimbs, Just grab a handfull of old newspapers and rub it down with that it will dull it down, the ink and clay in the low grade paper will take the shine off. Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 60 invisible), 3,244 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,199
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.