Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So, can anybody find out how far this was inside out airspace when it crashed?

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16875462?source=rss

An unmanned drone belonging to the Mexican government crash landed Tuesday in El Paso's Lower Valley, officials confirmed today.

"I was told that it crashed in somebody's back yard, and that no one was injured. I was paged at 6:28 p.m. on Tuesday, so it happened shortly before that. We were told it was not a police matter," said Detective Mike Baranyay, a spokesman for the El Paso Police Department.

The crash occurred at Yarbrough and Loop 375.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dang, next they'll be para-shootin in!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
El Paso is right on the border next to Ciudad Juarez.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's not illegal to shoot down an unmanned spy plane, or is it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are we sure it wasn't in US Airspace without our knowledge?

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The wound up rubber band that runs the thing broke!

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Flying Burrito Brothers are at it again??

laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
hmmmm? good question.

when the Revenuers utilized fixed-wing aircraft to spot illegal stills, any single engine plane buzzing over was subject to be fired upon from the ground.

to avoid this inconvenience, most of the forestry type forest fire spotters would have "Forestry" in big letters emblazoned on the bottom of their firebased Cessna's.

an unwritten, unspoken agreement was that they would never report an illegal still, If the still-owners never fired at a spotter plane with the "forestry" decal. it was an act of self-preservation on both sides, i suspect.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My reaction is a little less "Ha Ha."

Aerial drones are used for reconnaissance. Just what is the Mexican government looking at over here? Times when the Border Patrol isn't watching a hole in the fence? Whether a Customs patrol is near the end of a smuggling tunnel?

Hmmm?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My reaction is a little less "Ha Ha."

Aerial drones are used for reconnaissance. Just what is the Mexican government looking at over here? Times when the Border Patrol isn't watching a hole in the fence? Whether a Customs patrol is near the end of a smuggling tunnel?
Hmmm?

It could also be the complete opposite, ie American backed parts of the one of the Mexican LEO organisations carrying out recce flights in the war against the drug cartels.

If the Mexicans are operating drones, I'm betting they are American supplied, with American training and support to keep them flying...I doubt the Mexicans could fly a kite on two consecutive days without American help...

It would also explain why the drone was returned so promptly...

Last edited by Pete E; 12/16/10.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
The Flying Burrito Brothers are at it again??

laugh

Laffin'

But they are pretty crafty. Here's the drone taking off from a mobile launcher

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gus

That would depend on who owned the spy plane and how powerful the country was that put up the spy plane - wouldn't it?

I wouldn't want to be the Iraqi, living in his own country - who shot down a drone that he'd didn't like taking his pictures.

I wouldn't think his life would be worth too much...

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by Gus

That would depend on who owned the spy plane and how powerful the country was that put up the spy plane - wouldn't it?

I wouldn't want to be the Iraqi, living in his own country - who shot down a drone that he'd didn't like taking his pictures.

I wouldn't think his life would be worth too much...

well, there it is, in black & white, once again. like back in the day, the "invention" of the machine gun was supposed to end war forever, given the technological advantage.

but, no, it didn't happen. so, i'm not surprised to see a Mexican based drone fly-over. of course, rifleman have often been willing to fire into machine-gun nests.

technology trumps life, every single day. nothing new here.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
El Paso is right on the border next to Ciudad Juarez.

Yes, but is Yarbrough & Loop 375 100 yards inside the border, or 5 miles inside the border?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dollar will get ya a doughnut, that this was really owned and operated by the drug cartel. They get all their hardware free from the mexican government.
Oh, and we paid for it.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
dollar will get ya a doughnut, that this was really owned and operated by the drug cartel. They get all their hardware free from the mexican government.
Oh, and we paid for it.

Considering the price of donuts [ just ask DINK grin ] that's about an even money bet . And a bet you would lose .

Supplied by us - operated by the Federales- with permission to enter our airspace .Count on it .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
they had a drone here at naval air station corpus christi not to long ago that was being sent to mexico.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looked it up myself.. appears to within a couple of hundred yards of the border. Close enough that it easily could have been flying on their side until it lost control.

Wonder how many of these they have up, and if we have any oversight into what they use them for?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Oh, and we paid for it.

Considering the price of donuts [ just ask DINK grin ] that's about an even money bet . And a bet you would lose .

Supplied by us - operated by the Federales- with permission to enter our airspace .Count on it .

so, a foreign drone flying over our neighborhood is spotted, we should hold our fire? what about illegal aliens moving through the neighborhood by truck, are they exempt also?

does that ex-Governor down in Florida support all of this non-sense? what's his name? uh, Bush.

no more Bush's, Clinton's or Obama's. we must move to secure our borderlines, or be enveloped by illegal aliens.

they walk across the borderlines, they drive through the borderlines, and now, they're flying over the borderlines. when is Logic going to prevail??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gus , I don't presume to know the solution to any other state's immigration problem , but I know that the Texas problem MUST be solved on the Mexican side .Giving drones to the Mexican gov't is a part of that solution .

Within the past two weeks , I drove from San Benito to Sanderson , hugging the border all the way .How long since YOU did that ?

It is logistically and legally impossible to patrol the actual border in Texas for most of its' 1200+ mile length .That's why I came thru a number of BP checkpoints on my little journey .

It's also why I saw numerous BP agents driving in the borrow ditches where they blade the ground so footprints are more easily spotted .

Some of you people just don't seem to understand that there are no public roads - and in many cases no roads at all - for many long stretches of the Rio Grande .

Get out a map and look at HWY 90 from Del Rio to Van Horn . ALL the land south of the highway is NOT patrolled by the BP .There is a reason for that .

As far as sending troops down there ; Where you gonna lodge them ? Ever read the Third Amendment ?

Unless you actually spend some time down there , you have no idea of the immensity or the intensity of the problem of the Texas border with Mexico .

I'll leave others to speak of the problem in the other border states and as far as I know , most of the Florida wetbacks are of the saltwater variety .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,230
Posts18,504,336
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.