Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I am going to keep holding out till I have the points for 34 or 1. Not sure how long it will take but with 9 points and being in my 30's I have to have a chance eventually.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A guy I work with drew 34 this year. It only took him 30 some years... And he ended up shooting a dink. Pre-season scouting is your friend!

Public landowner...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'd take a dink any day over tag soup!

FSTF
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alaska has moose..... For $500 and transportation, you are good to go over the counter. No guide or outfitter required. And ours aren't dinks like those Shiras..... smile

Although this one is, sorta - a 2 or 3 year old taken in late September. IIRC, this is my 20th.

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My wilderness bull from this fall:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Aswaldo, That is some good lookin country your in. Where is it at?

FSTF
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That is in the Scapegoat Wilderness Area, which is the southern end of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. . .

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Perhaps you guys from Wyoming can tell me why the moose started falling on their butts before there were wolves, and why they aren't producing as many calves where there aren't wolves. Twins are normal for moose, and we have seen very few twin calves in Wyoming since the 70s. Even in the Snowy Range, with a "new" moose population, the number of twins has declined as the number of moose has increased. And no wolves. The dummies who actually spend some time studying moose noticed the three species of willows that moose liked to eat best were gone from summer and winter ranges in northwestern Wyoming by the late 1970s. Since then, calf survival has gone to hell. And cow moose are getting pregnant but not raising helathy calves. Must be fear of wolves and bears, I guess. I suggest those of you experts that are thinking of having kids just feed your pregnant wives Twinkies and see how well the kid does.
If the human predators had killed some moose back when everyone was bitching about too many licenses there might be more licenses available now because the moose wouldn't have trashed the habitat. You could say the same for deer, too.
I noticed you boys from Gillette aren't bitching about the disappearing deer due to oil and gas development.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I understand the odds of getting a nonresident Wyoming moose tag are about 1 in 80. You could easily apply every year for a century and not get one. I applied in Wyoming, Maine and New Hampshire for about 10 years with no success.

So I decided to go shoot a moose. I had a great experience in Ontario this September at a lodge on a remote lake. Guaranteed bull tag, license, guide, lodging, food, flights, boats, and good fishing on a 7-day hunt for less than 6K.

My moose was certainly not a monster, but I was able to bring all the meat, including heart and liver, home in my truck and the quarters weighed 502 lbs. hanging at the processor. It's the first moose meat I ever ate, and its really, really good. You might want to consider a place where a drawing is not necessary.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/16/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wildhobbybobby: (I like that name by the way!)

For me it boils down to simple economics. I have a buddy in Wyoming I can stay with for free. I just have to get the tag and the gas to get there. I would LOVE to try another state or even Canada, just can't afford to right now. Someday maybe!

You are correct. Moose meat is REALLY GOOD! Good looking bull!

FSTF
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wildhobbybobby: (I like that name by the way!)

For me it boils down to simple economics. I have a buddy in Wyoming I can stay with for free. I just have to get the tag and the gas to get there. I would LOVE to try another state or even Canada, just can't afford to right now. Someday maybe!

Thanks! My English teacher in high school, Ms. Jacqueline Leroy (who was HOT...too bad she is in her 80's now) started calling me that in class because I was an incurable gun nut even in 1965.

I sure understand the ecomomics of it all. I just decided I can't take it with me, so I might as well have some fun before I croak. Good luck on getting a tag, and I hope you get a nice bull sooner or later.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/16/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trouthunter-, I didn't know you had 9 pts for Wyo moose. I have 9 also and also 9 for sheep. Trying to figure how and when to do this as the sheep will not be e a s y and I've been getting AARP stuff for some years now grin
George

Last edited by goodnews; 12/21/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one really wants a moose, spring for Alaska.

1Minute
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Talked to the wife about JUST THAT! Needless to say, it generated quite the spirited discussion! Doesn't look like I am going any time soon. (as a married man anyway!)

FSTF
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by goodnews
Trouthunter-, I didn't know you had 9 pts for Wyo moose. I have 9 also and also 9 for sheep. Trying to figure how and when to do this as the sheep will not be e a s y and I've been getting AARP stuff for some years now grin
George

I started while I was living in Minneapolis and glad I did. I am waiting for Dad to retire so I can have some help packing it out. It also might get him on the Meek weight loss plan. wink I think the sheep hunt will take till I am recieving AARP information. smile

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257 mag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 308ld, 2500HD, 160user, 16 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,330
Posts18,505,927
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.