Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I guess I didn't know a lot of this. I kind of assumed it, just because they are known to give out a decent chunk of their profits to various causes. Thanks for the info guys.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank God we live in a country where we are free to express and have our own opinions... I am going to bite my tongue or typing fingers at this point.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by headwatermike

Oh, and regarding having things made in the USA, he said impossible. He would be a martyr and go out of business! Tell that to Mystery Ranch, or Prois (just ordered my wife pants from there, Made in USA).

Fact check: I just dumped out my fleece and long john drawer and inventoried my Patagucci stuff for country of manufacture.....

21 pieces MADE IN USA
3 pieces Made in Mexico
3 pieces Made in Israel

Nothing from Asia. That's just my drawer, and I am not suggesting its a representative sample. But they certainly do make stuff here.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta
Originally Posted by headwatermike

Oh, and regarding having things made in the USA, he said impossible. He would be a martyr and go out of business! Tell that to Mystery Ranch, or Prois (just ordered my wife pants from there, Made in USA).

Fact check: I just dumped out my fleece and long john drawer and inventoried my Patagucci stuff for country of manufacture.....

21 pieces MADE IN USA
3 pieces Made in Mexico
3 pieces Made in Israel

Nothing from Asia. That's just my drawer, and I am not suggesting its a representative sample. But they certainly do make stuff here.

That's cool. I was only going on what their site said and the interview quoted. I haven't had any around for years. On their site they discussed a plant in Taiwan that they contract with, and Yvon said they could not manufacture in the USA w/o becoming a "martyr." I appreciate the heads up--I'm not trying to be unfair to them. In fact, I don't think all they do is bad. I wonder why he would say he could not make products in the USA but you have some that are? Are they old?

What do you think about Yvon's business plan, as quoted?

Buy what you want. I won't give support, but I'm that way. I also won't shop REI. Yvon said let them shop somewhere else if they don't like it. That's what I do.

B
B_Lance Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Further research reveals plenty of spending on rivers and waterways- so no doubt the guy is a fisherman. And there is no question they are environmentally minded.

Saw a Patagonia proposal to reimburse hunters with tags for the Buffalo hunt just outside of Yellowstone. The F&G agencies decided to cull the herds due to overgrazing, overpopulation- Patagonia would buy any hunters tag back to save the buffalo.

I don't know much about this hunt- sounds like more of a shoot to reduce the herds- which seems to be Pata's beef....or Buff in this case.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well-said, Carl Ross.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My original post is completely in line with Yvon's quotes and I wasn't trying to portray them any differently. "They give huge amounts of money to organizations that sometimes don't share our values." And that they are primarily focused on "the environment."

The question was is Patagonia Pro, Anti, or neutral to hunting? My OPINION is that they are neutral, leaning anti. Why? They loose a bunch of points for some of the super sketchy organizations they support. But I don't believe that the reason they support them is because they are anti hunting, and Patagonia isn't anti hunting as a company, that's my OPINION.... It's just that organization is probably also working on some " Panamanian 7 toed purple tree frog" project, and that's why they got the money. As someone else pointed out they provide a lot of support to good organizations that are helping struggling trout and salmon populations. And yes Yvon is an avid fly fisherman.

I think its easy to be critical of a company that puts their donor list and their mission statement out there for all to judge. I tried to find that for the companies you mentioned, but couldn't. I am fully supportive of any company trying to make stuff here and my shelves are filled with their gear, so I am not trying to bash anyone. Just until they put the same info fourth, we are all just guessing as to why they are in business or where their money goes.

I have had Dana stuff for over twenty years, and while I know nothing of the how or why it went to K2 and consequently to overseas manufacture. It still puts a pit in my stomach to see that happen. If US manufacture is a core value to a company there are ways to off load a company and stipulate the manufacturing stays here. It didn't happen that way in the end.

As to the age of my Patagonia stuff, its pretty evenly spread over 20+ years. And yes the stuff I got last year was Made in the USA. I suspect that quote was taken out of context. The certainly can't make everything here, and probably only a small percentage actually is. I checked Prois for country of manufacture, and couldn't find it on their product pages I am not knocking them, I am just saying it takes some balls to put that stuff out there, because then you will be judged and criticized. And that's the way it should be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes its just easier to ask them............

"Thanks for your note. Patagonia does not have a position on hunting. Our employees run the gamut from hunters to vegans. Our owners have not found it necessary to take a stance on hunting for the company.

If you have any other questions please let us know, have a great day!

Skye
Patagonia Customer Service"

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Sometimes its just easier to ask them............

"Thanks for your note. Patagonia does not have a position on hunting. Our employees run the gamut from hunters to vegans. Our owners have not found it necessary to take a stance on hunting for the company.

If you have any other questions please let us know, have a great day!

Skye
Patagonia Customer Service"

Kenai,
Thanks for asking them.
I have noticed that Patagonia takes it on the chin a fair bit, often even from the more radical libs about not being 'green' enough, of all things!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No prob,

Sometimes all you have to do is ask them smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenaiking
No prob,

Sometimes all you have to do is ask them smile

I have noticed that on a number of customer reviews for Patagonia products(on Patagonia's website) you will see hunters chiming in with their experiences. I guess they must be 'apathetic' about their hunting rights also!
smirk laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta
My original post is completely in line with Yvon's quotes and I wasn't trying to portray them any differently. "They give huge amounts of money to organizations that sometimes don't share our values." And that they are primarily focused on "the environment."

The question was is Patagonia Pro, Anti, or neutral to hunting? My OPINION is that they are neutral, leaning anti. Why? They loose a bunch of points for some of the super sketchy organizations they support. But I don't believe that the reason they support them is because they are anti hunting, and Patagonia isn't anti hunting as a company, that's my OPINION.... It's just that organization is probably also working on some " Panamanian 7 toed purple tree frog" project, and that's why they got the money. As someone else pointed out they provide a lot of support to good organizations that are helping struggling trout and salmon populations. And yes Yvon is an avid fly fisherman.

I think its easy to be critical of a company that puts their donor list and their mission statement out there for all to judge. I tried to find that for the companies you mentioned, but couldn't. I am fully supportive of any company trying to make stuff here and my shelves are filled with their gear, so I am not trying to bash anyone. Just until they put the same info fourth, we are all just guessing as to why they are in business or where their money goes.

I have had Dana stuff for over twenty years, and while I know nothing of the how or why it went to K2 and consequently to overseas manufacture. It still puts a pit in my stomach to see that happen. If US manufacture is a core value to a company there are ways to off load a company and stipulate the manufacturing stays here. It didn't happen that way in the end.

As to the age of my Patagonia stuff, its pretty evenly spread over 20+ years. And yes the stuff I got last year was Made in the USA. I suspect that quote was taken out of context. The certainly can't make everything here, and probably only a small percentage actually is. I checked Prois for country of manufacture, and couldn't find it on their product pages I am not knocking them, I am just saying it takes some balls to put that stuff out there, because then you will be judged and criticized. And that's the way it should be.

Well, I mostly agree with you. I think if they were completely neutral to hunting, you would see orgs like RMEF on the donor list. I don't think he is afraid of sales lost by donating to such an org. Yvon clearly says he doesn't care about his business sales and bottom line, but rather about environmental activism. I thought it was funny that in the same interview he turned about and said there was no way to produce in the USA when they have taken extraordinary measures in environmental aspects. If you are curious, the link I posted has the interview from the Grist, a lefty publication also supported by Patagonia. And yes, they define themselves by their environmentalist slant, or something like that. You can read and determine for yourself if I took his statements out of context.

I also respect that Yvon puts it out there like he does. He says he can do that b/c he is not beholden to share holders. He can damage is business as he wishes w/o having anyone to answer to, whereas other corps cannot. He describes himself as "powerful" and contrasts his position to Bill Ford's. I respect his ability and willingness to do as he wishes with his profits. I am a business owner (corporation, ownership same as described by Yvon) who has NRA stickers on vehicles--in a business where I meet with clients at remote locations from my vehicles. I will put my political affiliations on my sleeve as well, so to speak. I know that it is a poor business practice, and accept the consequences.

I've certainly learned alot more about Patagonia since I looked into it. Definately some good programs supported by them, and who is against sustainability? But I will not give money knowingly to someone who is associated to some of the radical institutions on his list of donors--many of which are anti-hunting, if not in statement then in action. Furthermore, while I am an avid hunter, I also ride off road vehicles (mnt bikes and dirt bikes) and like to use my 4 wheel drive. The question was about hunting, but these organizations on the list strip us of freedoms like crazy, so I wouldn't support them regardless of the hunting aspect. In fact, I would put the hunting at a distant second to the fact that I've lost so many trails due to lawsuits from the various wilderness lawsuit organizations on his list. This summer we lost 150 miles of unbelievable trails around Hyalite Lake due to lawsuits and a radical judge (same judge who arbitrarily stopped the scheduled wolf hunt due to a lawsuit also by some orgs on the Patagonia list). If it sounds like I'm bitter, I am. But I expect others to do as they wish.

B
B_Lance Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Lots of little backstabs at me by a few here...I suppose it is the internet where facts are only important if they justify your position.

I assumed some of the info uncovered would be as much of a surprise to you as it was to me- maybe not.

I maintain actions speak louder than words...and their actions lean negative hunting- more so when you factor in they don't want to Pizz off the PETA crowd.

I would concede their pro environment stance is commendable though slightly misplaced in some circumstances and YC is a charismatic man- no doubt.

I was hoping that a coordinated campaign of hunters loyal to Pata products could possibly sway them to embrace hunting. If the Pata hunters are satisfied with the status quo, I won't waste my breath.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't depend on Patagonia to support hunters or my political choices. They make some seriously good gear, which I will continue to buy and use when I'm hunting. Smart business doesn't please everyone. Good intel says Yvon is an animal murderer. Best hunting clothing I snagged in 2010 was the Patagonia R1 hoody.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I quit buying Patagonia gear for the same reasons you brought up. I don't find their gear any superior to other companies so chose to buy elsewhere. Why would I give them my support so that they can then use that to fund the environmental groups that want to end hunting? I don't understand the thinking of some of the others on here either. Might as well donate to the Sierra Club and wolf lovers directly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Best hunting clothing I snagged in 2010 was the Patagonia R1 hoody.

I really like my DAS parka, got it on sale two years ago. It's stuffed in this pack along with a boned-out mule deer:

[Linked Image]

This pic is from Sunday, I was feeling really apathetic about hunting so I put on my Capilene, grabbed the parka and pack and went for a long walk. The deer could read my body language and sense my apathy so they in turn were apathetic about running off and one of 'em ended up following me home.

I tell you what, when I made it back to the truck after packing that thing out, I was really friggin' apathetic. All I could think of was stopping for a beer and a burger on the way home.

Edited to add: As I was throwing a load of laundry in the washer, I realized that besides the Capilene and parka, I was also wearing some Guide Pants!!!! (bloodied) I can't believe the depths I've sunk to!! I feel the urge to fry up some tofu, somebody help me.

Last edited by smokepole; 01/04/11.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Smokepole,

I always felt some justice when my patagucci had a few well deserved critter blood stains on it. Congrads on your hunt.

This thread made me think harder about my semi loyalty to patagucci. I have purchased literally hundreds of items and recieved tremendous customer service forever, I always knew that I was supporting Yvon's visions of making the planet a "better" place. And those visions were not always supportive of hunting, I believe the intention of his actions are well founded.

When the originator of this thread made it clear that the purpose of the thread was to "unite hunters to send a message to Patagonia" that their support to non-profits needs to be more "hunting focused". (I am paraphrasing here as to how I read it)
I wondered why, and have you really taking the time to look at what Patagonia is? The quotations cited by "headwatermike" should have made that clear.

1. Just because we do, or want to use, Patagonia gear, and want them to act differently so we can feel better about tipping over an elk while wearing capiline, is challenging to say the least. Just my opinion.

2. Equally challenging and similar would be to start campaigning (MR, Sitka, Prois, or you name your favorite) to match the $ as a percentage of sales, the amount of money Patagonia tosses to non-profits. "you want us to do what? Go broke giving money away!"

3. We could start our own company with the same mission as Patagonia, only we would give all our profits to hunting centric non-profits. (I am currently accepting applications)

4. We could realize we already did that, when we created the Pittman-Robertson Act, and take a more active role in how that money is spent.

5. Lastly we could send a message to retail giants like Cabelas, that we are sick of them brokering private ranchland, away from traditional "ask to hunt properties" or walk-in access, to wealthy private leases. Or perhaps we could encourage them to stop importing millions of dollars of Asian junk hunting products and slapping their name on it and selling it to the masses. Just because they give a token donation to some of our favorite organizations, doesn't mean they are good for hunting, or our country. A global economy is a fact of our time, but I for one would like to see Cabelas look as hard at their impacts on the environment as Patagonia does.

Just my thoughts - aramid fiber suit on!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brownie:

I like #5 personally.

Have you seen 180 Degrees South?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own one piece of Patagonia clothing or gear and don't see that changing anytime soon. There's lots of other choices for good hunting gear out there besides Patagonia.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
B_Lance: I have known several people who live in my new hometown (Dillon, Montana) and they did and do work for "patagonia" - there IS no question the "patagonians" and the management (ownership?) of "patagonia" are HARD CORPS anti-Hunters!
PERIOD!
I will never buy a "patagonia" product!
If I had to buy a product to save my life and the only two choices were to buy it from a Chinese company or from "patagonia" - I would buy it from the Chinese ("chi-coms"!).
I don't even park any of my vehicles near the "patagonia" store in my hometown for fear one of my friends/acquaintances would see my vehicle and think ill of me!
In your post you use the term "indirectly" - there is NO indirectly they are directly anti-Hunting.
I am also very often disgusted and disappointed with the apathy and ignorance of my fellow Hunters as illustrated by "eremicus" and a few other blithering idiots on this board!
To hell with "patagonia" and "patagonians".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,330 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,714
Posts18,534,931
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.