Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey,

With Africa not really a possibility in my near future this is more a curiosity question for those of you have been there and done that.

Just re-reading Pondoro's book the other night for giggles and noted the similarities between the .350 Rigby Mag/No.2/.400-350 and the Whelen as far as paper ballistics--they are, for all intents and purposes, identical. Taylor spoke so highly of the Rigbys' performance (almost gushing in his praise, really) on almost everything (even elephant and buffalo in the hands of some--not that I would try!)that it seems the Whelen would shine on the Continent.

I noticed that Boddington in his safari book #2 mentioned he has never taken a Whelen to Africa (although he admits he should have).

So, has anyone here used the Whelen and with what load and what were your results?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in this topic, as well. I'm recoil-sensitive and am wondering what might be the "biggest" rifle I could take to Africa might be.

I know I can handle a .338 Federal, and am hoping I can handle the .35 Whelen and 9.3x62.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
A
A
We use only one caliber in Africa for this need (similar to .35 Whelen) and that is 9.3x62 (Mauser) It is almost exactly the same but the bullet is .366 inch instead of .358. Many have questioned why Col Whelen developed the .35 Whelen when the 9.3x62 was so well established in Africa. I have asked his grandson, Townsend Whelen Boling, and he does not know.

The .350 Rigby Magnum was only a 225gn (SD .251) bullet at a claimed 2625ft/sec a good bit faster than the .35 Whelen. And it had many spectacular failures because of it low SD. On the other hand the standard 9.3x62 has a 286gn bullet with an SD of .305 the same as the load that made the .375 Magnum famous (300gn SD .305). Rigby got by with his .35 Rigby because and only because his steel bullets were the best at the time.

The .400/.350 Rigby had a 310gn bullet for a sensational SD of .346 and a velocity of 2100ft/sec.

Teh Mauser in 9.3x62 was THE most common medium bore in Africa because it cost a third what a Rigby or other English rifle cost.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have only used the metric Whelen, the 9.3x62. But I essentially used a Whelen load, with a 250-grain bullet, and it worked great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AfricanPH
We use only one caliber in Africa for this need (similar to .35 Whelen) and that is 9.3x62 (Mauser) It is almost exactly the same but the bullet is .366 inch instead of .358. Many have questioned why Col Whelen developed the .35 Whelen when the 9.3x62 was so well established in Africa. I have asked his grandson, Townsend Whelen Boling, and he does not know.

The .350 Rigby Magnum was only a 225gn (SD .251) bullet at a claimed 2625ft/sec a good bit faster than the .35 Whelen. And it had many spectacular failures because of it low SD. On the other hand the standard 9.3x62 has a 286gn bullet with an SD of .305 the same as the load that made the .375 Magnum famous (300gn SD .305). Rigby got by with his .35 Rigby because and only because his steel bullets were the best at the time.

The .400/.350 Rigby had a 310gn bullet for a sensational SD of .346 and a velocity of 2100ft/sec.

Teh Mauser in 9.3x62 was THE most common medium bore in Africa because it cost a third what a Rigby or other English rifle cost.

Thanks for the insight. Do you find SD to be a somewhat less reliable indicator of performance in recent years due to the development of bullet technology? It would seem reports of great penetration by lighter Barnes TSX bullets are now commonplace.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you go to my website in the articles section you can read some about the 338/06 and the 358 Whelen there.

Suffice to say they are both a "booming" success and may be among the two finest plains game rifles every made.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SD was only ever a functional and dependable measure of penetration when solids were used. Since the dimensions of the bullet determine the SD any soft point has a completely different SD shortly after impact.

So I agree completely that a TSX with a lower SD will far out penetrate a Bonded Bullet of a higher SD in nearly every case. Which proves that the whole SD theory was only functional with a solid

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
A
We are moving to heavier than normal bullets in Africa. The hot .375 H&H Mag loads are 350 (SD .356) bullets. In 9.3x62 I use 320gn (SD .341)

At the PH School in East Cape Province, S Africa (where I teach ballistics twice a year), we recommend an SD of MINIMUM .300 for all PH use. Of course we are not hunting, but stopping wounded animals for our luckless clients. The Kudu wounded and 'going over the hill' is of course ass end on to us and we have to penetrate the whole legnth of the aminal to stop it. Hunters have more leeway to chose or pick their shots. It is easy to stop an animal standing sideways to the hunter with an SD of .271 (a 180 gn .308)for instance.

Yes the newest non lead bullets have advantages when they expand and do not lose weight.

BY THE WAY; NON LEAD BULLETS ARE THE FUTURE FOR HUNTING IN ALL OF AFRICA AS THE INTERNATIONAL REGULATORS AND MOVING TO BAN LEAD BULLET IN AFRICA, it is only a few year away.

A
A
SD is THE BEST way to deterine penetration of all bullets. Identical spitzer in .308 diameter the longer (heavier) will penetrate further 150 < 165 < 180 < 200 < 220gn PLUS the lower speeds (.30-06 220gn bullet at 2400ft/sec) will expand less and penetrtate even further.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John,

May I ask why you used the 250 gr in the 9.3? Most I know usually espouse the 9.3 b/c of its heavier bullets and greater S.D. Did you use a homogenous bullet such as the Barnes? What animals did you take with it? Obviously, it worked great, I was just curious why you opted for the 'non-standard' type of load in the 9.3x62. Thanks.

JJHack,
Great article! Thanks for the link!

While the 9.3 is fantastic and has over a century proving that I thought it would be interesting to hear tales of Whelen use by the guy who, perhaps, already had a Whelen and didn't want to go out and get its slightly bigger sister. Having said that, I am getting ready to do some selling of other unused rifles so I can pick up the new Ruger African in 9.3! This despite the fact that I already have a No.1 Whelen. Like I told my buddy, I need to fill that huge hole between my 9.1mm (Whelen) and my 9.5mm (.375 Holly)! I'm thinking a aperture-sighted African in 9.3 would be awesome elk medicine here in the mountains of Idaho--of course so is the Whelen...and the Holly...

How does one choose?! crazy

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AfricanPH
SD is THE BEST way to deterine penetration of all bullets. Identical spitzer in .308 diameter the longer (heavier) will penetrate further 150 < 165 < 180 < 200 < 220gn PLUS the lower speeds (.30-06 220gn bullet at 2400ft/sec) will expand less and penetrtate even further.

Agreed that in identical spitzers the penetration advantage goes to the heavier bullet. However, I'd lay odds that a 165gr .308 TSX will out penetrate most 180gr soft points and I might even wager you a wee dram or two of Laphroaig 15 year old that a 150gr might do it, too. Have you seen this in your travels?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .35 Whelen in Zimbabwe
by Al Borchardt
http://www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/firearms/35_whelen_zimbabwe_01.htm

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link, Bob! Good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my .35 Whelen to South Africa in 2006, and shot a gemsbok, impala and kudu with 250 gr Woodleigh bullets. They worked extremely well, though in retrospect I'm not sure they would have been "better" than Hornadies, but they did work just fine. As far as the cartridge itself, I've owned a 9.3x62 and the only virtue I can find is that some countries in Africa will let you shoot the 9.3x62 when they won't let you shoot the 9.2 (.35 Whelen) at buffalo et al. I've worked on handloads side by side, and found I could essentially equal the 9.3x62 rounds with the .35 Whelen -- 286 gr 9.3 and 275 gr .35's go up to about 2400-2450 fps, and I can't quite imagine that 11 gr's will make a lot of difference. Dropping bullet weight to 250 gr in either cartridge will add 100 or so fps, but again, they will match up. So I sold my 9.3x62... whistle.

For shooting anything in Africa it's legal for, I can't imagine any cartridge better than the .35 Whelen. And, having shot my Cape buffalo with a .404 Jeffery, I'm not too interested in going witrh a 9.3 anything against them, were I ever to go after them again.

I think the Whelen works just fine, thank you, and have done so since 1993... grin.

Couple of picks, starting with the "I won't use the Whelen" buffalo...

[Linked Image]

But it worked fine on these...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have shot several elk and caribou with the Whelen too, and it seems to work just fine... smile

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took my Whelen to RSA in 2009. Took all the game from impala to kudu with it. One of the other hunters had a 7mm mag and wounded a kudu. I was sitting in the lodge at the time, and the PH ran in, looked at his personal rifle and mine sitting side by side. He hesitated, then grabbed MY rifle and ran out the door and ended up useing it to finish off the wounded kudu. In all, my .35 accounted for 6 of my trophies, 3 of my cousins, and 3 more from one of the other hunters in camp, and all with the 225 TSX.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MojoHand,

The reason I used a 250-grain bullet in the 9.3x62 was mostly to test it, because I'm a professional gun writer. Also, it was strictly a plains game hunt.

I had already tested the 250-grain Barnes TSX on quite a bit of game, so used the Nosler AccuBond instead, loaded to 2650 fps or so. It shot quite flat, allowing me to take several animals at 300+ yards, yet penetrated plenty on angling shots, even on a very big kudu and a bull gemsbok. The same bullet had penetrated from one end to the other of elk here, and did the same on the kudu.

I also used it with perfect performance on a nice grizzly in Alaska two years ago. Once in a while one will be recovered. The second, unecessary, shot on the grizzly entered behind the shoulder and ended up halfway up the neck, under the skin on the far side (neck skin is quite tough).

The same bullet expanded very well on smaller game such as blesbok even at long range. In my experience it's a great all-around bullet for the 9.3x62, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it on eland or Alaskan moose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
SD was only ever a functional and dependable measure of penetration when solids were used. Since the dimensions of the bullet determine the SD any soft point has a completely different SD shortly after impact.

So I agree completely that a TSX with a lower SD will far out penetrate a Bonded Bullet of a higher SD in nearly every case. Which proves that the whole SD theory was only functional with a solid

absolutely 100% spot on. SD is a thing of the past with monometal and even some bonded bullets. I can GUARANTEE you that all else being equal, a 30 cal 168gr TSX will out penetrate a 200gr cup and core any day, same goes for a 458 class cal, 450gr TSX will outpenetrate a 500gr cup and core all day long. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. B,

Thanks for the info. I should've guessed it had to do with your testing for writing. Doh! Did you do a write-up in any of the reloading/hunting mags on that load? I've always leaned toward heavy-for-caliber bullets, but with the results you just cited it sounds like that Accubond would be worth a shot if I get that Ruger African. I've always been a fan of the Accubonds and they've always shot well in all of my rifles.

Thanks to John and all for sharing your knowledge and experience. I appreciate it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mojohand,

I have published several articles that mentioned the performance of the 250 AB in the 9.3x62, though nothing just on that bullet. The 9.3x62 works very well with a wide variety of bullets, one of its virtues.

If hunting game over 1000 pounds I'd probably select one of the 286's, whether the Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, or whatever. I've used several and they all penetrate very well.

But for general use on game from deer-sized up to 1000 pounds, in my experience it's hard to beat the combination of flat trajectory, easy expansion and penetration of the 250 AB.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is there a comparable bullet that would give similar performance in the Whelen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.