Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#5662323 09/28/11
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.thediyhunter.com/big-gam...bullets-tsx-ttsx-243-wssm-270-wsm-rifles

Searching for pics of 80 TTSX recovered post kill, found the above article on elk kills w/243 and 270.

I think it's worth reading the comments of Barnes vs. Accubonds...on Elk.

Anyone w/a post kill recovered 80 TTSX in 6mm, feel free to post pics.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No way to recover a 6mm 80ttsx as every one ever fired into a game animal is still in orbit after a thru and thru.

Didnt you know it makes the 243 into an adequate grizzly rifle? Only marginal for cape buff thouh

But alas i will be shooting 180 accubonds out of my 300 for elk in a couple of weeks...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
...Searching for pics of 80 TTSX recovered post kill, found the above article on elk kills w/243 and 270...

Those were both WSM's. Impressive penetration.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Oh boy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but a .243 is not a friggen Elk round.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd not hesitate to poke one through the lights with an 85 out of my 243, given the opportunity and appropriate circumstance. I have complete confidence in the combo.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It'll do it, but would not be my first choice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With 100 gr Partitions, I might try it,but if he were a truly big bull, I'd probably shoot him with my camera instead.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Would not hesitate to shoot elk with 80 TTSX or 85TSX in the .243

Not my first choice, but no problemo tripping the trigger with that combo.

Have killed them with a .243 and 100 Gr Nosler PT, and with Hornady 100 gr Interlocks...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As many people have said...not my first choice for an elk cartridge, but I have done the job with my .243 and a 100 gr. Nosler PT. The 85 gr. TTSX would not be a problem either.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Whip
I have complete confidence in the combo.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I'd urge folks to find whatever combo gives them complete confidence, then stop frequenting sites like this & go shoot more critters.

I've been given grief over my Complete Confidence Combo, but I somehow keep killing stuff with it, with 1 shot.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys crack me up.

1) I was not advocating, only sharing info

2) My point was to show what a 243 80TTSX load can do

3) Yes, its in a WSSM but a 243 Win is not far behind w/light bullets like an 80 gr.

4) I feel comfortable popping an elk w/a 129-130gr in 6.5mm, or larger bullet, BUT if a 243/Barnes was all I had, I would not pass up an elk...I'd get my knife dull after I popped him, whether once or 3x, the 243 will kill elk dead, but you don't want to shoot long range, nor muck up your shot placement.

What I found most interesting was not that it was any surprise an 80 Barnes dropped elk, but HOW the author saw differences between TYPES of bullets used, and how animals react. And how you use various bullets.

You will note he purposefully hit bone to initiate expansion, a good idea esp. when shooting far and impact speed drops, when using a mono.

So, I hope this clears up WHY I posted the link and the intended 'take away' - no doubt the subject line got some attention.

As to post-kill photo mention, that was open for all, but meant for deer/hogs as that is more than likely the bulk of where 243 Barnes end up in game. I'd just like to see how it compares to say the 85 TSX, likely little difference.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When we host "sight in days" for visiting hunters and watching a lot of visiting hunters shoot their new Eargosplittinloudenboomer, judging from their performance, many would be better off using a 243.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My wife has shot a dozen or so elk with her BLR in .243 win. She is very picky about her shots and likes to hunt in dark timber where they are at close range.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Funny you say that, guy next to me yesterday had a GAP 270 WSM, they built a gun out of his action, complete w/a varmint fluted sendero contour bbl. Good for steadying....not so good for toting, no doubt he was a stand hunter.

I LIKE the ballistics of the 270 - inc. in the WSM, but I must say it has some real blast as most magnums. It was rather 'Sharp' and loud I must say.

When I dropped 2 - 243 bullets from my cold bbl into 11/16" at 200 yds, followed by the next 2 shots from the cooled off bbl, into UNDER 1/4", I thought, its just NOT that complicated.

SHOT placement...w/a good bullet. Cartridge name, horsepower, etc. is usually the least important assuming a good hit is made using any reasonable round.

Dead is dead and a 100 dead elk w/243s or 10,000 won't convince others it's adequate. Ideal, no, not given varying shot presentations, distances, etc. etc. BUT adequate...entirely when used w/in it's limits...of the bullet choice...WITH good vitals shot placement. Not my first choice on elk, but if it will take elk down, a deer/hog is a no brainer, truly.

I challenge ANY living elk to let me have on broadside hit with a 243 and an 80-85 Barnes up to 250 yds. Just ONE shot. I'd bet all I have EVERY said elk shot WILL die. And to go further, a 223 w/63 TSX will likely accomplish the same, though I'd put a floor of the 24 bore as a minimum on elk, under ideal conditions for it...not perfect mind you, just working within the limits of what it will do. I'd suspect MOST states require a 24 bore as minimum on elk.

I think the 243 is HIGHLY misunderstood, largely for 3 reasons:

1) Poor bullet choice...varmint bullets have no place for the most part, in pursuing large game in a 243/6mm. Also, modern bullet technology has added many more good bullets options for deer sized game.

2) Shot placement - NOTHING will kill if vitals are not hit, OR if you MISS completely. When an animal runs off and lost after the bang, can anyone TRULY KNOW w/100% certainty, it's the cartrige/bullets fault? Without KNOWING where a bullet hits, or IF it hit, or where it traveled after impact and what it did from entrance to it's resting place, you simple CANNOT conclude.

3) Ego's. I see it all too often. Men think it's just cool to shoot the big stuff.

I have NO qualms w/someone using as large a rifle as they can shoot well. I don't like being around them at the range as my ears hurt and sometimes they rock my bench! LOL.

SOME guys must think it's simply - NOT Manly..to use a 243. Meanwhile 260s and 7/08s have been in voque, ESP. w/deer hunters, and rightfully so. Lower recoil than say an '06 - the number one ctg. in the USA more than likely gives those shooters the ability to practice more, AND flinch MUCH Less, if at all. That = shot placement which = dead game.

I'd venture to say, show me a deer/hog that will die any slower using a 243 w/80-85 Barnes shot within 300 yds, than using a 260 or 7/08 w/cup core of choice. I'd argue statistics if obtained by a good sampling of similar shot placement would show equal effectiveness in how dead deer are post 243/Barnes hits smile

Not trying to convert anyone mind you, but I think 243/6mm's have been wrongly snubbed by many as too small for men. MY experience when using good bullets w/shot placement mirrors others who have done the same. Vitals taken out, deer/hogs die fast.

And lastly, 243s I am not saying are only effective w/Barnes, watched my son HAMMER deer w/85 BTHP Sierras out to 275 and 300 yds, and have used 100 Partition, and 95 Ballistic tips many times. Even neck shot and lung shot a couple w/70 TNTs. NO deer required a 2nd hit, and none ran any further after hit than any round used on average. Lung hits ran 30-60 yds. Typically of what I have seen using 7mm Mag, 7mm-08, 260s, 270s, etc.

I even had a small deer run 100 yds when trying out a rifle I built for elk hunting, a 338/06 w/200gr ballistic tip. As she ran TOWARD me then turned after I punched her, I could see the exit, red blood pumping out and what looked like a silver dollar exit - blood stain. I'd bet that little deer would have dropped quicker had I used what I had wanted to try that year on deer, a 6mm TCU, using 85 BTHP Gk's that my son used above in a 243. I believe the lighter more frangible bullet would have caused more trauma INSIDE that small deer due to how the bullet would have acted.

As a side note, had another good sized buck drop in 3 bounds after hit w/a raking shot from the rear, bullet stopping under hide shedding 80 of the 200 grains after busting offside shoulder. That was at 25 yds....another nice buck at 200yds dropped in tracks when the 200BT hit at the neck/shoulder juncture. NO doubt a 243 would have produced the same results. Shot placement was why it was a DRT. Nearly decapitating a doe w/my former Ruger #1 Mannlicher and using 70 TNTs, she also 'Dropped in tracks' dead.

Those who DOUBT 243s, do so, b/c they 'heard' bad stories or just cannot conceptually grasp it's ability. The ONLY cure for those in denial or ignorance of a 243/6mm's capabilities, is to USE one, chamber good bullets and place it thru vitals.

It WILL get the job done...if the shooter does their job.

Partitions, Speer 105s, Hornady 100s, etc. etc. all have done a good job over history.

YET, if someone wants recommendations for hunting deer/hogs, etc. with a 24 bore, here is my pick.

1) 80 TTSX and 85 TSX (or old XBT). Federal Premium loads the 85 TSX, and Barnes the 80 TTSX in factory Vortex line.

2) 95 Ballistic Tip (it's NOT soft or explosive, it's MEANT for serious use on big game - proven time again on deer/elk, and larger - penetration and retention, with good expansion is how I'd explain it). For factory ammo, look at Winchester Ballistic Silvertip line.

3) 90 Swift Scirocco SSII - assuming your accurate in YOUR rifle. May be some factory ammo, seems Rem was loading swifts in the past - not sure, but one or more mfg. may load these SSIIs.

I could hunt with others inc. the 90 BTs or 90 Etips, and might someday try the 90 Accubonds as I love them in my 130gr 260 and 6.5x55 loads, but I just don't think they will do anything the 95 BT will do given that BT has a rather stiff jacket for a 6mm.

As a side note, some 6mm shooters use fast twist barrels for accuracy with high BC bullets like the amax 105gr vld. My furthest deer kill, ranged at 400 yds dropped using the Amax from a 6mmBR (think 243 'short') - double lunged - she went 20-25 yds.

Those wanting a light recoiling, flat shooting, accurate round, that will kill deer/hog sized game very effectively, don't discount a 243 if you are not yet a believer. Your ears and shoulder must might thank you if you try one!

FWIW I started out w/a 7mag, went thru several 270s, 7/08s, 260s, 6.5x55s, 243s, 6BRs, 7BR, 338/06, etc.

In the past I liked the 270 and 7/08s very much, but as time went on and I used the smaller 6mm and 6.5mm rounds more and more on deer, I realized they killed just as well, and as a bonus, I could enjoy longer range sessions shooting more rounds in a given day, all pain free to my shoulder and ears.

The biggest bonus beyond that, is FLINCH FREE trigger control IMPROVING your hit ratio....accuracy. THAT is the BEST way to affect outcomes in the field, improving shooting skills, IMHO and IME.

FWIW, I'll choose a 243 ANY day over a 300 mag for deer, it's just me b/c I know 'dead = dead' no matter how you get there wink

Whatever you decide to use, just pick a good bullet, and put it where it belongs, thru vitals, all else will work out in the field.

Good shooting....and hunting guys/gals.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BeanMan - you are no 'Grasshopper' LOL. Do tell her bullet choice. At close ranges I am sure a plain WW powerpoint or RP corelokt will do, assuming lung shots, or neck?

Love the BLR build quality, fast handling and accurate. What sights/scope does she use? Congrats on her shooting and hunting success, she learned well!

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a picture of my son and his first elk taken last year at 350 yards with one shot from his 6mm Remington. The bullet was a 90 gr. Nosler E-tip at 3160 fps. He was laying prone and using his bipod and put the bullet right behind her right shoulder and it exited her left shoulder. She staggered about 25 yards and went down. Yes the 243 and 6mm are light for elk but with good bullets and good shot placement will do the job. I've taken one spike bull with my 6mm using a 100 gr. Nosler Partition. I killed him at about 30 yards in heavy timber. Shot him right on the point of his right shoulder and the bullet exited just in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a couple steps and I put one more at the base of his ear. It was not necessary, but I didn't want him going anyplace.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a 257 roberts with 80 gr. ttsx's would be a great combo too.

i'm sure the bullet would blow right on thru.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
one these forums, there are those that ask... and those that do..

off forum, there are those that criticize and those that just unceremoniously do...

( this wasn't aimed at you Cliff)...

you get guys and gals in places like Montana, that just get out and do it, in spite of what the 'experts' claim... guess they don't know any better... so that is why it doesn't fail for them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
6mm- Great photo man! Congrats on you/your sons success.

The irony of that story - had the same story been told but instead you changed out the '243' with a 270, 7/08, 7 Mag, etc. everyone would say, 'too light? - heck no!'

Thanks for sharing. BTW, what rifle is that, I see on 2nd glance it has a silver handle like a Ruger....but not sure since the stock looks more like a Remington or a Boyds aftermarket.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (300_savage, 35, AceBall, 10Glocks, 375TN, 9 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,912
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.