Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've been glass bedding rifles for many years. I had read that one needs to include the first inch or two of the barrel shank as part of the process. I'm building another rifle and my smith, who has a lot of experience with bench and target rifles, said the latest trend is to free float the barrel all the way back to the action, nothing touching the barrel.

I was wanting to see what you guys are doing?

DF

GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I generally bed the first inch to inch and a half of the shank and float the rest. I'm far from being a smith, but I've had very good results this way.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you're into the traveling wave theory of optimal barrel time and OCW loading, you might want the barrel floated all the way back. Otherwise you're sort of making the upper and lower halves of the barrel have different lengths which could muddy the reflection of the wave at the chamber end of the barrel.

Or it might not make a gnat's ass worth of difference. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done dozens with the first 2 inches of BBL bedded and every one has shot very well? maybe just lucky?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is my first post, but for whatever it's worth, I've bedded in dozens of barrels as much as 3"-4" from the recoil lug. If that method has an adverse affect on accuracy, I can't notice it. Personally, I'd be pretty leery about totally free-floating any barrel, but particularly one over 24".

Along with that, standard pre-64 M70's have that barrel screw 6" or so out on the barrel, and they shoot pretty darn good bedded right up to the lug, with the screw turned snug.

Jeff

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I'm glad to see that. My most accurate deer rifle, a Krieger bbl 6.5-284 M-70 is bedded like that. And it shoots lights out, like quarter inch at a hundred and 3/4 MOA out to 600 yds.

I'm sure this approach is a high tech, wave theory approach. To us hunters, probably not enough difference to talk about. I think I'll try the smith's recommendation with this latest one, just for grins. I don't see me changing the others that shoot great already.

DF

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I have done dozens with the first 2 inches of BBL bedded and every one has shot very well? maybe just lucky?

I think there is something more to it than luck. Prior to doing any bedding jobs myself, every picture of high quality bedding jobs I've seen had part of the shank bedded.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I usually bed the length of the chamber,then float the rest.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I usually bed the length of the chamber,then float the rest.

that's me

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm not surprised by these responses. It seems the majority of us bed rifles like we were taught. I don't think it's going to make a difference in hunting rifles, but I find it interesting.

DF

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For ultra accuracy (benchrest, 1000 yard, etc) you will see only full free float to the action. Reason: more shooting, more barrel heat-up. Metal expands at a different rate than epoxy. As barrel expands greater than epoxy, subsequent shots may shoot higher. Read this in a scholarly tome, but cannot remember when or where. My gunsmith, Steve Baldwin-Mechanical Accuracy-Jones, OK, is mucho smart/experienced with this and full free floats all barrels, as do I now. The "shank pad" is more cosmetic than anything, and probably doesn't hurt for general hunting.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I generally glass bed the first 3" of the barrel (chamber area) to give the barrel some support and relieve stress on the barrel shank/action area.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by smy1
For ultra accuracy (benchrest, 1000 yard, etc) you will see only full free float to the action. Reason: more shooting, more barrel heat-up. Metal expands at a different rate than epoxy. As barrel expands greater than epoxy, subsequent shots may shoot higher. Read this in a scholarly tome, but cannot remember when or where. My gunsmith, Steve Baldwin-Mechanical Accuracy-Jones, OK, is mucho smart/experienced with this and full free floats all barrels, as do I now. The "shank pad" is more cosmetic than anything, and probably doesn't hurt for general hunting.

There's a difference between a heavy azz target grade match barrel and a flimsy, light, extra thin hunting barrel. Most of the light ones actually prefer the bedding pad under the chamber/shank and a little side support also in this area. I've also noticed that some whippy barrels like a little upward pressure at the forend. Each rifle is an individual but some things are almost set in stone when it comes to how and why you bed a rifle.......There are a few variables to consider before you even start the job....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 270Mag
This is my first post, but for whatever it's worth, I've bedded in dozens of barrels as much as 3"-4" from the recoil lug. If that method has an adverse affect on accuracy, I can't notice it. Personally, I'd be pretty leery about totally free-floating any barrel, but particularly one over 24".

Along with that, standard pre-64 M70's have that barrel screw 6" or so out on the barrel, and they shoot pretty darn good bedded right up to the lug, with the screw turned snug.

Jeff

Many ways to skin the pre 64 cat. I've went just the opposite way with my std weight rifle and freefloated the barrel out and put a dummy screw in where the forend screw is (its just there for looks). It shoots pretty good this way too....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm not surprised by these responses. It seems the majority of us bed rifles like we were taught. I don't think it's going to make a difference in hunting rifles, but I find it interesting.

DF

DF, To be honest I bedded my new to me 7mm rem mag (model 70 made in NewHaven) SS/SYN the way your smith has suggested. It's shooting just as good as any of my other rifles whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been glass bedding rifles for many years. I had read that one needs to include the first inch or two of the barrel shank as part of the process. I'm building another rifle and my smith, who has a lot of experience with bench and target rifles, said the latest trend is to free float the barrel all the way back to the action, nothing touching the barrel.

I was wanting to see what you guys are doing?

DF

You can get away with this type of bedding on a "stiff" barrel. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.....Some of my more rigid barrels have about 1/2" under the chamber bedded to nothing under the chamber. Works out pretty good this way if you've got the reciever, recoil lug, and tang bedded properly.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

My smith is Ray Bowman, Precision Rifle and Tool, Mebane, NC. Ray is a retired Surgery RN. Before that he was a machinist and has always been a shooter. He has a number of patents on surgical instruments. During his career as a Surgery RN, he worked with the doctors and when they needed a special instrument, he went home and made it. Very interesting guy to talk to. He's really high tech into target and tactical rifles and I learn from him every time we talk. When he retired from the hospital, he went back to his shop and is very busy, building rifles. Check him out on line.

I'm going to bed this least build like he said and see how it does. He's not led me wrong, yet.

He has the PT&G .22-204 reamer, chambering two rifles for me. Very interesting round that I think you'll be hearing more and more about.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My smith beds from lug back. Advantage is if I need to replace barrel, I don't have to rebed anything.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
On the pre-64's, it's probably more of a reflection on the quality of the barrel than the method of bedding. They typically shoot very well bedded full-length, too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My smith is Ray Bowman, Precision Rifle and Tool, Mebane, NC. Ray is a retired Surgery RN. Before that he was a machinist and has always been a shooter. He has a number of patents on surgical instruments. During his career as a Surgery RN, he worked with the doctors and when they needed a special instrument, he went home and made it. Very interesting guy to talk to. He's really high tech into target and tactical rifles and I learn from him every time we talk. When he retired from the hospital, he went back to his shop and is very busy, building rifles. Check him out on line.

I'm going to bed this least build like he said and see how it does. He's not led me wrong, yet.

He has the PT&G .22-204 reamer, chambering two rifles for me. Very interesting round that I think you'll be hearing more and more about.

DF

Sounds like a very cool guy to get to know...Should work out great

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (300_savage, 35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 10 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,912
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.