Print Thread
Hop To
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have been thinking about putting in for the Non-Res elk draws in Nevada. I was wondering if any of the guys around the campfire have had any luck drawing non-res tags there, and how long you put in before you were sucsesfull? It looks like it could get expensive to draw a tag if it takes 10 years to draw.

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You can look up the statisics on their website. E

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have 10 for elk and my hunting partner has at least 15 with no luck yet...but you could get lucky and draw the first year!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of years ago I got a tag with 6 points. IIRC, even with 6 my odds were only 5%.
You bet your sweet bippie the point game gets expensive! Especially having to buy the non-res license each year, for the privilege of applying for a point.
But I sure enjoyed the hunt. smile

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the replies fellas. It looks like it will be an expensive procsess, I had looked ay the draw odds and they seemed pretty grim. I am trying to look at some different elk hunting opportunities for the future. It's starting to get tough for a resident in Wyoming to draw a bull tag in a limited quota area.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been thinking about putting in for the Non-Res elk draws in Nevada. I was wondering if any of the guys around the campfire have had any luck drawing non-res tags there, and how long you put in before you were sucsesfull? It looks like it could get expensive to draw a tag if it takes 10 years to draw.

I have 5 PP in Nevada, its actually not that expensive compaired to other states. Montana for example requires you to apply for a license, then reapply for a tag. I think Wyoming and NM are the cheapest, however NM is cutting back on non-resident tags, and Wyomings draw odds also suck in the trophy units. Oregon and Idaho both require the purchase of a license.

Last edited by Elkmen; 04/03/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One good thing about Nevada is that you only have to buy a license evert other year. That is of course, unless they made a chance I don't know about.

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by jlboykin
One good thing about Nevada is that you only have to buy a license evert other year. That is of course, unless they made a chance I don't know about.
Thats interesting, how does that work?

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I think Wyoming and NM are the cheapest, however NM is cutting back on non-resident tags, and Wyomings draw odds also suck in the trophy units. [/quote]

I'd be curious as to which trophy units that your trying to draw in Wyoming? Most of the late bull hunts around the park aren't what they used to be. PM me if you wish, There are a couple of areas that I know of that you can draw with a couple of preference points that have good potential.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Drew a NR bull elk tag a few years ago with 1 point... u never know

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There are some huge Elk down in the corner connecting to Idaho...

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sad but true...

CARSON CITY -- Larry and Marty Hall had two massive bull elk sighted in their rifle scopes. A boom from one gun, then another, echoed across the rugged landscape along the Nevada-Idaho line.

One animal, with a majestic six-by-six antler rack, was dead. The other, a six-by-four, was mortally wounded.

Neither Larry nor his son Marty had a tag to hunt elk.

But Larry's buddy, Frank Koski, did. Koski took back his rifle from Larry and finished off the wounded bull. The trio and Frank's two sons, John and Andrew, then hauled out the now-tagged animal with an ATV, leaving the other to rot.

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Edited

Last edited by jlboykin; 04/04/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That may well work; the license is good for 365 days from date of issue.
I've never dared to play that game, lest something go wrong or the Dept. deny my app for lack of a current-year license. And I'll continue to be timid, what with the value in the draw of being rich in points.

Do you buy your license late (close to the draw date), so that you have plenty of time during the next app period to consider and plan if going for a tag is in the cards that year?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Edited

Last edited by jlboykin; 04/04/12.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Jlboykin, Just courious how many points you have after 6 years, hopefully you've checked what they have on record.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like I have to retract what I've written. Went back through my records and I've been buying a license every year. Sorry for the confusion, I'm going to edit my previous posts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drew as an NR with seven points. Lots of points help, but there is still a chance, no matter how many points you have. Unless of course, you don't apply.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even if you haven't jockeyed so, the theory still [maybe] works. I've been aware of that gambit for several years; though, as I wrote, I don't risk it.

(And bravo for being on the up-and-up about your posts. Pride could have kept you from the admission, with no one the wiser. You get a GoodGuy mark from me.)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,308
Posts18,505,488
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.