Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone make a shallow wide gun safe. I'd like a safe that allows me to remove the rifle I want without removing the others. Basically I would like the safe to be shallow, say 12" deep, and wide. This way it would hold 10 or 12 guns that could be removed easily. Safe kisses are just a polite way of saying my guns are all scratched up!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what you guys get over there, but over here (because of our laws) they are very common..Most would best be described as "lockers" and offer only minimal protection, but some are pretty good, but still short of a full on safe.

Also many of these locker style cabinets have no or little fire protection.

Google "Bratton Sound" and you will see examples of whats available..

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That's kind of what I'm looking for. I don't mind if it's a bit deeper. I just do not want to have to remove guns to get at guns.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a really good idea, although I haven't seen any like that, either. Last week I saw a safe that comes in component sections that you put together, bolting from the inside. I don't think any one section weighed much over 100 pounds. I liked this idea, because I couldn't find anybody local who would deliver and set up a safe for me. Unfortunately, the component safe was rather expensive, but still an interesting concept.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deertroy1
Does anyone make a shallow wide gun safe. I'd like a safe that allows me to remove the rifle I want without removing the others. Basically I would like the safe to be shallow, say 12" deep, and wide. This way it would hold 10 or 12 guns that could be removed easily. Safe kisses are just a polite way of saying my guns are all scratched up!

I share your sentiments and haven't found any that meet my needs. Here is one idea: Pendelton Safes are rotary and it is easy to remove the rifle you want - see: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/safes/

I would get one, except they lack fire protection,.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That's a better idea than a conventional safe. You would think someone would offer a wide safe that allows you to store guns in a single line. I realize it would take up more wall space but some of us are not cramped for space!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a better idea than a conventional safe. You would think someone would offer a wide safe that allows you to store guns in a single line. I realize it would take up more wall space but some of us are not cramped for space!

Have you tried Google?

Cabelas do a variety that might be suitable..Take a look at the Stack-On Eight-Gun Ready-to-Assemble Cabinet..

[Linked Image]

These appear to be self assembly, but I am sure there must be others out there ready built and offering more security..

Last edited by Pete E; 10/17/12.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your idea is far to convenient to be offered as a "stock" item by a major manufacturer. Seriously, long, shallow, free-standing "real" safes holding 10-12 rifles would be a "hard sell" from a retail stand point. And buy "real", I mean fire proof with thick drill resistant dead lock doors with internal hinges. Anything else is a storage cabinet. Good doors make up most of cost of a safe, the body adding weight and storage space. The cost of building a 12" deep model would be almost as much (or more) as a 24" or 30" deep one with the same height and width dimensions, but hold far fewer guns. Since most buyers want the most "bang for the buck", it would be a hard sell. My advice is to deal with a manufacturer/direct seller. Find a standard model you like, and ask them to make you one with a shallower depth and no interior. It will probably cost the same or a little more than the full size model, but you'll have what you want. If you don't need real security. almost any sheet metal fabricator can make a storage cabinet to your specifications.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs

I share your sentiments and haven't found any that meet my needs. Here is one idea: Pendelton Safes are rotary and it is easy to remove the rifle you want - see: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/safes/

Those look friggin sweet, $$$$???

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you arent cramped for space, then this is the ticket. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-presidential-safes-ps-4.html?tab=sizes. Lots of room to grow. wink

Swifty

Swifty
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a company in N.C. called Drake that builds safes a friend had them build a door for a gun room that looked like a bank vault. He would probably build what ever you wanted if you have the cash.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SEdge
There is a company in N.C. called Drake that builds safes a friend had them build a door for a gun room that looked like a bank vault. He would probably build what ever you wanted if you have the cash.

That's my idea of gun safe.

I have no idea what use a small safe would be. Guns multiply, usually without your knowledge.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by djs

The fire protection thing is all hype. Ask any insurance agent and they tell you that must guns that go through a house fire in a safe don't make it.
Looks like I'll have to build my own out of cinder blocks and buy a vault door.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/291/G1055C_Gun_Safe

These are pretty inexpensive. I got mine for around $175 from Academy on sale.

But if I could, I'd buy a Zanotti.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the safe was heavy - fire lined, thick door, etc, but shallow in depth in might be more prone to tipping over when the door was opened frown I could see that problem causing enough lawsuits to discourage their production.

I recall the old gun display cabinets that people used to have 50 years ago. If one could invent one that was similar sized, but secure, it might be a good deal.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Liberty has a "Fatboy Jr." model that is quite wide, but pretty shallow (or as shallow as you'll find at that width (38" wide, only 15" deep inside). They go for $999 here at Gebo's (like a Tractor Supply). I know that Gander Mountain carries them also (for more money).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^ This.

Just buy a wide one and only use the front.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If the safe was heavy - fire lined, thick door, etc, but shallow in depth in might be more prone to tipping over when the door was opened frown I could see that problem causing enough lawsuits to discourage their production.

I recall the old gun display cabinets that people used to have 50 years ago. If one could invent one that was similar sized, but secure, it might be a good deal.

I'd anchor it to the wall!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Sycamore
^ This.

Just buy a wide one and only use the front.

Sycamore

Actually I'd do that if they made them without all the funky shelves and just had spaces for guns across the back and sides?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Scrap the shelves and have a cabinet shop build you racks for the back and sides.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (BlackHunter, 01Foreman400, blackhawk44, Big1bud, BALLISTIK, 11 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,873
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.