24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
modern "classic" rifles Kodiakisland 2 hours ago
I haven't bought or even shopped for rifles in quite a few years. Kinda disappointed in what I'm seeing online for really nice rifles. I want nice walnut, cut checkered blued steel for an MD residency graduation gift.

What I was looking for was a Cooper, Kimber (select/super America), Nosler, etc. It appears Cooper has been sold and I don't see any wood stocks listed on Kimber and Nosler websites. I guess there's Weatherby, but really want nicer than Winchester, Remington, Ruger type rifles. What am I missing? I know there's got to be choices out there, I'm just not seeing them

Caliber will probably be 7mm to 30 cal. Not specifically tied to an exact cartridge other than needing to be mainstream and not for the gun nuts like me.

Budget is $1500-2500.
0 87 more...
Image Gallery Jump to new posts
scope hood 1eyedmule 2 hours ago
scope hood
0 41 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Leupold Scopes Braindead 2 hours ago
1) Leupold Freedom 1-4X scope new in sealed box with pig plex reticle. $285 shipped.

2) Leupold silver Vari X 2.5-8x pistol scope. Used with minor ring marks at the bottom of the tube. Just returned from Leupold for cleaning and adjustment and just a general once over. $475 shipped.

3) Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x 50mm matte. Standard duplex reticle 1inch tube. Excellent condition. $550 shipped.

First “l’ll take it” wins!
0 98 more...
IC B2
Lever Actions - General Jump to new posts
Marlin Model 1893 Seafire 3 hours ago
Saw one for sale yesterday at a shop north of here by quite a ways..

It was in awfully darn good shape for its age.. its a 1903 production.

Chambered was in 25/20. It once carried a Uinertal scope on top. but all is there is the rear base and where it was drilled an tapped for the front bases.

Anyone who's in that game have an idea of what a decent price is for a lever action like that?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Cheers
seafire
0 20 more...
FS Cuddeback CuddeLink Wireless 3 Cams&Base Unit AT&T $500 TYD Mwags 4 hours ago
Included in this package are 3 Cuddeback CuddeLink L Series Trail Cameras and 1 Cuddeback CuddeLink L-Series Cell Home . All are in perfect working order and were only used for a few weeks but one of the straps that secure the camera to the tree has two holes from screws but does not affect function. All original packaging is included as well. If you have any questions or would like more pictures please don't hesitate to shoot me a message.
$500 Shipped
0 57 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
.280 Rem loads with Staball6.5? 280Jeff 4 hours ago
I just picked up a couple lbs. of Staball6.5. Has anyone tried this for .280 Remington, especially in the 139/140 grain bullet class? I would love to hear how it worked.
0 59 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Sta Ball in 375 HH Cntrmass 4 hours ago
Anyone tried any these with 300 grain pills ?
What’s your opinion?
0 105 more...
FS: Browning Midas Invector Plus 12ga Choke Set blrmkr83 4 hours ago
7 browning invector plus midas extended 12ga choke tubes in excellent condition with wrench and case. Chokes included are Diffusion, Skeet, IC, Light Mod, Mod, Imp Mod and Full. $250 shipped for the lot.
0 75 more...
Consignment Gun + Collectibles joken2 5 hours ago
Consignment Gun + Collectibles

𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: Saturday May 11th

𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞: 10:00 AM

𝐋𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧: 4570 Sharon Highway 89

Dresden, TN 38225

https://www.toptierauctions.com/gunandcollectibles
0 143 more...
FS - Nosler, Sierra - .270, .308 bullets JAT 5 hours ago
For Sale:- Nosler, Sierra - .270, .308 bullets

1) Nosler Accubond .270 140gr. (87 bullets)
- pulled from loaded ammunition

Compare to: $1.14/bullet + tax + shipping

$65 shipped insured USA

2) Nosler Ballistic Tips 165gr. (91 bullets)
- factory new, open boxes

Compare to: $0.72/bullet + tax + shipping

$50 shipped insured USA

3) Sierra GameCharger 165gr. (200 bullets)
- factory new bulk packed

Compare to: $0.52/bullet + tax + shipping

$80 shipped insured USA

Not interested in trades...Thanks.
PayPal F&F is fastest but also accept USPS money order and checks from established members.

1)
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2)

3)
0 129 more...
IC B3
FS - Charles May Custom Knife - The BobWhite JAT 6 hours ago
For Sale - Charles May Custom Knife - The BobWhite

- As New, Unused, Never Sharpened
- D2 steel
- dyed spalted maple scales
- mosaic pins
- ~7" overall length
- 3" blade
- 4" handle
- custom leather EDC sheath

$275 shipped insured USA

Not interested in trades...Thanks.
PayPal F&F is fastest but also accept USPS money order, checks from established members.

0 151 more...
Sad. Sheesh. Fireball2 7 hours ago
...but true.

[/video]
0 215 more...
WTS Ruger GP100 .357 6” OlRufus 7 hours ago
I’m offering for sale my Ruger GP100 .357 mag revolver. The model no. is KGP160. It has a 6” barrel.
It was manufactured in 1988 and purchased new by me. It has seen very little use over the years, I’m sure less than 100 rounds fired. It comes all original its original box with papers.
I’m asking $850 shipped to the lower 48.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
0 191 more...
More of Fred BOBBALEE 7 hours ago
The Digifuture in Its Parts
May 7, 2024Deep Thought, Politics, Uncategorized
How time flies, said Fred with scintillating originality. When I was a young lad in rural Virginia in the mid-Sixties, the only thing digital was the local drive-in movie, known colloquially as the Finger bowl. Now the world runneth over with bits and bytes and screens and all. Regarding which:

Much of the unpleasantness of life springs from the need to identify ourselves. To this end we have driver’s licenses, passports, ID , and credit cards.

None of this is really necessary. Let us assume hypothetically that face recognition is infallible. It isn’t, quite, but let us pretend. We would then not need a driver’s license: The cop would scan your face and your license, if any, would pop up on his screen. No passport either: Coming into America the camera would scan your face and all your passport info would pop up. To fly, you would not need a ticket or need to check in: The system would scan your face and know you had a ticket for UAL 3325 to Chengdu

Actually face recognition is not quite perfect, so to get admission to the CIA’s murder records you might need an additional scan of iris or fingerprints, which would leave no doubt. This latter is now used at air ports: “Put your fingers on the glass….”

All of these technologies are well known and work in practice. China uses face recognition, in which it is the world leader, for practically everything.

Making ID-less life run smoothly and efficiently would require considerable programming but no new technology. Government could have a record for every citizen with everything from passport to medical records, each being accessible only to entities needing them. For example, a hospital could see your med recs but not your driver’s license or credit-card transactions. Things of this sort are already done in various countries. They just haven’t been glued together, except largely in China.

The convenience would make this a fairly easy sell to the public. No fumbling with cards, proof of insurance, redundant medical tests. In priciple people fear surveillance, but in practice they will go with convenience every time.

Now, the digital dollar. It is coming. Officials of the government and of the Federal Reserve seem to talk out of both sides of their mouths, but they are considering it, as are the central banks of over a hundred countries. It will probably be introduced gradually, maybe first for transactions between banks, then as an option for the public. But it is coming. Watch. The aim, probably not stated, will be to go cashless, as China has said it wants to do, with transactions made by cellphone, as is already almost universal in China. It will be convenient.

The digidollar software necessarily will also make a record of every transaction: time, place, amount, and to whom made. This sounds shocking, but isn’t much different from records made by credit-card companies and banks. Somehow this sounds less ominous than the feds having them, though it can get them if it wants.

Some interesting effects will flow from cashlessness. Robbery will become difficult. If I put a gun to your head and demand your money, you will probably give me your dough, phone to phone, rather than have your head blown off. But the system will make a record of who I am, the time, place, and amount, which is not optimal for those in the robbery business. When you report the crime, the system will take the money back out of my phone, give it to you, and close my account. I will not be able to open a new account because doing so involves face recognition and I will be blacklisted–and therefore unable, in any way, to get money in a cashless world.

The drug problem would end in about three days. AI routines would have no problem noticing multiple sales in known drug markets of fifty dollars, or whatever a hit of coke or fentanyl costs. It would be easy to check the identity of the recipients with police records of known dealers. There would be no need to arrest them. Just block their accounts and put a note on their screens telling them that if they want access to money again, they need to come into the police station.

All in good fun. But government could–would–use the same techniques to track and control people it didn’t like, such as people name Fred who say not nice things about said government.

There is little doubt that Washington would use the digidollar for purposes of social control, potentially aabsolute. “Washington” of course means Google, Facebook, the media, Wikipedia, and all the other de facto parts of government. Already people and websites that say bad things have their credit cards cancelled, find themselves delisted by Google, banned by Facebook, erased from the Wikipedia, and ejected from YouTube. There is much of this, though I suspect that most of the public is unaware of it.

The digidollar would provide a censoric meat axe that would–will–strike fear into dissidents. What remedy would there be? The victim would have to depend on friends even to eat while any drawn-out appeal went on. This sounds, I know. like right-wing paranoia. How it would be used and to what extent I don’t know, but recent history is not encouraging, and the mere possibility would argue for obedience.

Note that we live in a wired world. We all have cell phones. Mine is an iPhone, which has Siri as digital assistant. She is a good listener. She can be half a room away, or in my pocket, or in a noisy restaurant but when I say, “Hey Siri, what time is it?” she almost always understands. Those who have iPhones but do not use Siri have no way of knowing whether the microphone is on. Presumably, likewise with Android.

The Alexa boxes in our house understand both English and Spanish well and sometimes rooms away. I don’t know what policies Apple and Amazon have towrd eavesdropping, whether they do this when the feds want it, but they assuredly can. The bottom line is that millions of homes host high-grade listening devices inserted with the best of motives–making music available–just as password managers, also with the best of motives, extract our passwords. In grade school I was taught that sharing is a good thing. I wonder.

OK, that’s it for today. A tentacle is coming out of my Alexa box and seems to be reaching for my throat. Maybe it was something I said.

Anyone may repost this column without further permission.
0 214 more...
Wanted - Burris Posi Lock Cap dirtyharry 7 hours ago
I Lost my Posi Lock adjustment Weather Cap FROM one of my Burris U.S.A. Made Scopes.
It looks like a adjustment cap on the scope but is 1/4 the size. Black color. (matte) but gloss will work.
If anybody has a extra one, or one they don't need , please P.M. Me.

Thanks, Dirty Harry
0 71 more...
AV popup Aagaardsporter 7 hours ago
McAffee popup just killed my connection to the campfire
0 95 more...
WTS Ruger Standard Pistol RST-6 OlRufus 7 hours ago
I’m offering for sale my 1979 Ruger Standard 22 auto pistol. I purchased it new about 1979 or 80. It has been responsible for several enjoyable plinking sessions over the years. It has excellent blueing still with only a couple wear spots as pictured. It will come with original box, original and walnut grips, and a size 6 Uncle Mikes sidekick holster. I’m asking $700 shipped to lower 48.
0 143 more...
More “Bee” News memtb 7 hours ago
0 156 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
BREVEX No. 15 joins my collection of Brevex Magnum Mausers - a Roy Dunlap Custom. buckstix Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Hello All,

BREVEX No. 15 joins my collection of Brevex Magnum Mausers - a Roy Dunlap Custom.

The listing didn't give a lot of details about this rifle. But, I recognized it as a Brevex Action. Since I have a background in Long Range High Power Rifle Competition, I knew this rifle was for built for such. The 30-378 caliber should be a screamer. It will be arriving next week and I can't wait to get it in hand to test it. I will top it with a 20x Unertl, and a set of Palma iron sights. It will then be ready for "any-rifle-any-sights" and "any-rifle-iron-sights" competition.

As always, your comments are welcome. (pictures: first the rifle - and the 15 collected)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
0 133 more...
338 Win Mag Brass and Ammo in Stock + Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen in Stock + 416 Rigby RavenRocksPrecision Yesterday at 10:52 PM
In stock today:

Brand new Norma 338 Win Mag Brass - 50 ct - $89.95

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/norma-338-win-mag-brass-50-ct/

​Norma 338 Win Mag 230gr Oryx Ammo - 20 ct Box - $55.69

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/338-win-mag-230gr-oryx-premium-bonded-core-20-round-box/

Norma 416 Rigby Brass - 50 ct - $189.95

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/norma-416-rigby-brass/

--

New Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen Package - Includes 10 boxes (500 pieces) of Norma 35 Whelen Brass - $1999 for the rifle and the brass + Free Shipping (Only 1 Available)

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/ruger-hawkeye-m77-35-whelen-10-boxes-of-norma-35-whelen-brass/
0 157 more...
WTB: Rear sight assembly for S & W M/29-2 4"............ gunswizard Yesterday at 10:32 PM
WANT TO BUY: Rear sight assembly for a S & W M/29-2 4". Pics and asking price to: [email protected]. Thanks.
0 57 more...
Image Gallery Jump to new posts
Siding inspector Tide_Change Yesterday at 10:12 PM
Siding
0 56 more...
VORTEX® LAUNCHES NEW VIPER® HD RIFLESCOPES, OPTIMIZED FOR HUNTERS SYSOP Yesterday at 08:30 PM
VORTEX® LAUNCHES NEW VIPER® HD RIFLESCOPES, OPTIMIZED FOR HUNTERS
May 9, 2024 - Contact: pressroom@vortexoptics.com

NEW VIPER® HD MODELS DELIVER ENHANCED VERSATILITY FOR HUNTING BIG GAME TO PREDATORS.

BARNEVELD, Wis. - Vortex® has announced EIGHT new additions to the popular Viper® family of riflescopes. The New Viper® HD Family offers a diverse range of options across three distinct magnification classes: the versatile 2-10x42, the adaptable 3-15x44 available in three models, and the powerful 5-25x50 with four model variations.

Each class in the new Viper® HD family is specifically designed to meet distinct hunting needs. All boast enhanced features with benefits that include:

• HD OPTICAL SYSTEMS ensure superior light transmission and enhanced resolution
• ILLUMINATED RETICLES enhance accuracy and contrast at dawn and dusk
• SECOND FOCAL PLANE & FIRST FOCAL PLANE options cater to various shooting styles
• DEAD-HOLD® BDC & TECHNICAL RETICLE options streamline wind and elevation adjustments
• CAPPED & EXPOSED LOCKING TURRET options safeguard against accidental changes and allow for rapid holdovers and adjustments
• REVSTOP® ZERO SYSTEM (exposed turret models) enables quick and reliable return to zero
• SINGLE-PIECE, 30mm TUBES allow for more travel and enhanced performance

The New Viper® HD Family offers different configurations to match your unique target species and compliment your specific hunting style:

- Elevate your field accuracy with the Viper® HD 2-10x42, featuring illumination for enhanced visibility in low light and Dead-Hold® BDC (MOA) reticle for fast, simple holdovers. The Viper® HD 2-10x42 is priced at an MSRP of $899.99, with a MAP of $599.99.

- For those seeking more magnification and dialing control, the Viper® HD 3-15x44 is available in capped and exposed turret options, ranging from an MSRP of $999.99-$1,049.99 and a MAP of $699.99-$749.99.

- The higher magnification Viper® HD 5-25x50 comes in four variants: two Second Focal Plane (SFP) models at an MSRP of $1,299.99 and a MAP of $899.99; and two First Focal Plane (FFP) models with an MSRP of $1,399.99 and a MAP of $999.99.

For hunters who accept no less than the best, the new Viper® HD line delivers an unparalleled edge in the field, ensuring that when the decisive moment comes, success isn't just anticipated—it's assured.

Discover the perfect match for your hunting style—watch this Product Overview Video to explore each new variation in the Viper® HD line and find the model that's right for you.

For a detailed list of technical specifications, frequently asked questions, and high-resolution images, check out the Vortex® New Product Portal.

To see more from Vortex®, visit VortexOptics.com or follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, X, and TikTok.

About Vortex®: Your desire to be your best fuels our promise to provide nothing short of exceptional performance, unmatched service, and memorable experiences. The way we see it, your success is our success. Welcome to Vortex Nation™.
0 212 more...
Humor, Jokes, and Riddles Jump to new posts
F word Bugger Yesterday at 07:49 PM
This man goes to confession and says, “Forgive me father for I have sinned. The priest asks if he would like to confess his sins and the man replies that he used the “F-word” over the weekend. The priest says, “Oh okay, just say three Hail Marys and try to watch your language. The man replies that he would like to confess as to why he said the “F-word”. The priest sighs and tells him to continue. Well father I played golf on Sunday with my buddies instead of going. The priest says, “And you got upset over that and The man replied, “No, that wasn’t why I swore. On the first tee I duck-hooked my drive weil left into the trees. The priest said, “And that’s when you swore.” The man replied, a little testily because of the constant interruptions, “No, it wasn’t. When I walked up the fairway, I noticed my ball got a lucky bounce and i had a clear shot to the green. However, before I could hit the ball,

a squirrel ran by and grabbed my ball and scurried up a tree.The priest asked, “Is that when you said the ‘F. word’?” The man replied, “No, because an eagle then flew by and caught the squire in its shard aloes new flew away.” The priest let out a breath and queried, “Is that when you swore?” The man replied, “No, because the eagle flew over the areen and the dying squirrel let go of my golf bal and it landed within 5 inches of the hole.” The priest screamed, “Don’t tell me you missed thee f….ing putt!”
0 121 more...
Blued Ruger MKII grip frame & bolt hoofnit Yesterday at 07:12 PM
I have a blue Ruger MKII grip frame, bolt & a couple magazines for sale, $250 OBO shipped

Also available 1 SS 6 7/8” slab side barrel $75 shipped & 1 in the white 5 1/2” bull barrel $40 shipped
For clarification ☝🏼these are just barrels, removed from the receiver (it has the serial number)
0 137 more...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 10 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,658
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.