24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Custom Rifles & Wildcats Jump to new posts
Re: Harry Creighton FN 98 .35 Whelen 35WhelenNut 4 seconds ago
Originally Posted by gaperry59
According to sociologist David Yamane, the era of Gun Culture 1.0 (~1850 to 2010) centered on the use of guns for sport hunting, recreation, and collecting, whereas Gun Culture 2.0 (2010 to Present) centers on gun use for self-defense and other tactical applications of shooting. Yamane claims that GC 2.0 now makes up the core of American gun ownership.

From my point of view, this may well be correct. I work in an allied law enforcement profession, and am surrounded on all sides by black rifles, LPVO's, and suppressors, as well as double stack semi-auto pistols with red dots, bucket holsters and WML's. Conversations overheard on the range involve sub-second draws, appendix carry, occluded dots, target focus and splits and transition times.

I try to keep my knowledge and skills as current as reasonably practicable with such platforms since my job as a firearms instructor requires it. Yet if you put a Staccato with a dot and my iron-sighted 1911 both on a table, I will gladly shoot them both, but will then leave the Staccato on the table and shoot the 1911 repeatedly. Why? Well, for one it's fun, and to me the 1911 is a work of fine art, while the Staccato is just a pistol. I can't help but like blued steel and walnut, SA and DA sixguns with home-cast bullets and leather holsters, and Mauser rifles chambered for old cartridges with fixed-power scopes.

All of which brings me to this post. Recently I came across an FN 98 chambered in .35 Whelen put together by the late Harry Creighton, a Nashville custom gunsmith in the 1970's and 80's. From what I can gather, HW Creighton was a machinist by trade and only did the metalwork on his rifles, often working with stockmaker Hal Hartley to come up with a complete rifle. I had a set of Tally bases and rings on hand, but the only unmounted scope I had at the time is an 1990's Weaver 3x9. Whelen ammo is getting harder to find, but I bought a box of Hornady Superformance loaded with 200-grain Interlocks and sighted in at 50 yards. They are listed at over 2900 fps; I have not chronographed any, but based on the magnum-like recoil I have no reason to doubt it. The big game animal in my state is the whitetail, and we are limited to handguns, shotguns, and rifles with straight-walled cartridges. We have no elk, and .35 Whelen is not on store shelves.

The trigger is crisp and the barrel shoots very well, even seeming to want to shoot in the same hole at 50 yards. The rifle sighted-in easily, although as sometimes happens, I would make a change but the adjustments would not take hold until the recoil of the next round. As a practical matter, I could simply buy a case of this Hornady ammo and be satisfied for quite some time. But RCBS dies and Speer 250's are now on hand, and I look forward to seeing what I can come up with for a load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GC 2.0 may call me a Fudd, and possessing such a rifle may not serve any practical need where I live. But owning, preserving, caring for, feeding, and shooting such a wonderful piece of fine art is FUN! And this rifle is fast becoming my favorite.

Beautiful rifle, so classy!

As to handloading, I worked up a load for my dad's 35 Whelen, which is a Remington 700 Classic, using the 250 gr. Speer. This target shows a series of three groups, with the third group/load being the one he ultimately used for our annual elk hunt.

As luck would have it, I jumped a bull in some timber which came out less than 50 yards from Dad. The Speer bullet did the job, to say the least, but acted more like a varmint bullet.

If you're going to hunt with that bullet you might slow it down a bit or think about a 250 gr. Partition.

35WN
22 3,248 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: What Happened? Before & After Beretta_Shooter916 22 seconds ago
Someone touched off a .30 Herritt inside
12 521 more...
Free Classifieds
JP Sauer 100 rifles in .308 Win and .338WM Dogcat 56 seconds ago
24hr Campfire friends (and enemies if you have money), I am offering two entry level Sauer rifles for sale. Both are as new, unfired. This is the first rifle many shooters in Europe and other places end up with to start a hunting career. Is it cheap or cheaply made?? No. The barrel and action are what you would expect from a German gun maker, especially JP Sauer. These are pure "shooters" and not for decoration.
They are offered individually or together.

They will take abuse and still shoot very well. Here is a description -

Sauer 100 Classic

Gun is “as new”, unfired. No box.

Calibers - .308 Win and .300 WM

The Sauer 100 Classic sets the standard for functionality and accuracy for entry level rifles. The features of the Sauer 100 include an adjustable single stage trigger, three-position safety, hammer forged original Sauer barrel, a baby butt smooth Sauer bolt and the MAX stock with the geometry taken from the premium Sauer S 100 and S 404 models.

Features include –

Classic model with dark stained beechwood stock

Three lug bolt head

60 degree bolt lift

EVER REST action bedding

Trigger adjustments from 2.2 to 4.2 lbs

Double stack magazine

Suitable for Remington 700 scope bases. Current Talley rings included

Threaded for a suppressor with end cap

Weights 6.7 lbs without the scope, balance point is at the middle of the rifle

Price is $750 each shipped to you.

Scopes are not included. However, they are available.

No sales to anyone or anywhere that requires extra paperwork from me or will not accept a private seller that is not an FFL

Shipping to Alaska or Hawaii is $100 extra.

I have owned several Sauer rifles. Each one is accurate, as you would expect from a German gun maker. This gun is unfired, however, I would expect less than 1 MOA.

If you are needing an entry level, accurate, dependable rifle and prefer not to own a Remington, Howa or Savage, take a look at these.

In the pics, the .308 is the top rifle.

0 20 more...
IC B2
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: Moa math using 200 yard zero mathman 1 minute ago
You are quite dim.
52 6,271 more...
Free Classifieds
Nosler 6.5mm 120 grain Ballistic Tips BobbyTomek 1 minute ago
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This morning I unearthed a box in my loading room that I had completely forgotten about. When they finally were back in stock, I bought a number of boxes of Nosler 6.5 120 BTs. But I do not need all of them LOL.

Anyway, I have eight factory-sealed boxes that I'll part with. With tax, these cost me about $28 each, and that is what I am asking per box.

Shipping will be $10 for up to 4 boxes and $16 for more than 4. Paypal f-f much preferred, but I'll make a check or m/o work if need be.

Thanks.
0 12 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: Thanks UPS Fkin GOONS JSmith62198 2 minutes ago
I had two in the same hard case grow legs and walk off at one of their warehouses from a deal here with UPS. Luckily they were insured but it took 120+ days and a request for an address for their legal department to get them to pay me. The cherry on top was they shorted me the shipping fees saying they did their part. I haven’t used them since.
28 1,076 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: WTB Contender Hammer hangunnr 2 minutes ago
Is this what you’re looking for?

[Linked Image from ]

I’d need $25 shipped. If interested drop me a PM and we can make it happen.
2 99 more...
Re: Vax’ers Thegman 3 minutes ago
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by Angus55
Any body that believes the Government is a fool, then and now !

The US government didn't approve use of the AstraZeneca vaccine. Are you saying that was a bad decision?
Wow! It was hammered into us that if we weren't getting one of the emergency authorized vax shots we were causing grandma to die. We were assured they were all safe and effective, and that if we got one of the available shots, we wouldn't get sick, and couldn't spread it.

Shouldn't you be somewhere denying the Holocaust?
I'm wondering how well infomed you are regarding vaccine data, in general. Have you by chance gone to the VAERS .gov site and looked at the VAERS report numbers for MRNA covid vaccines relative to all other vaccines reported over the last 30 years?

□ Yes
□ No

If "Yes", what are your thoughts about the numbers?
21 1,003 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: 300 Win mag RCBS dies jry444 3 minutes ago
Anyone at 25 shipped ?
8 431 more...
Re: Ukraine’s “Counter-Offensive” Major Belly Flop alwaysoutdoors 4 minutes ago
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by Houston_2
The USA is preparing another military aid package for Ukraine in the amount of $400 million. This is in addition to the $95 billion package most recently approved by Congress.

WSJ, Business Insider

You post this crap with glee???

My children and grandchildren, will be paying for this for the rest of their lives. And here you are pimping for Ukraine. It's astounding.

Long time ago, I asked you how much was too much. When will/should our financing a foreign government end, and taking care of the invasion of our own country begin.

Give me a dollar figure. How much of what's left of our future should we give to Ukraine?

Your obtuse trolling is really retarded.

Clyde

They have no future. Thank God that they don’t. Couldn’t produce a male offspring. LOL
6,087 479,348 more...
IC B3
Re: AstraZeneca to withdraw COVID-19 vaccine globally, Telegraph reports alwaysoutdoors 5 minutes ago
Shoulda posted a video . SMH
5 650 more...
Re: Hailey Millrs Beretta_Shooter916 5 minutes ago
Was the twin Dear Abbey or Anne Landers I always forget
4 160 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: Reloading supplies Ellison3dpro 6 minutes ago
Dies still available. Nosler 2nds 100x 6.5prc brass 75shipped. Prices are obo.
3 473 more...
Free Classifieds
11-87 premier 20 gauge Easttnhunter01 6 minutes ago
I have a very nice 11/87 premier 20 gauge. I have owned this gun 5 or 6 years and just haven’t ever shot it and probably never will.. It’s in really good shape, I would say 98% easily.
3” gun 24” vent rib
Asking $1000 shipped.
Possible trades would be a Benelli M2 or SBE 3 20 gauge preferably in bottomland but would look at others.
Also would possibly be interested in a 22 creed or 6mm creed too.
Can add cash on my end for the right trade
I can text pics
Thanks
0 26 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: Thanks UPS Fkin GOONS mtnfisher 6 minutes ago
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by Hess
Obviously you didn't pack it right or put it in a case like normal people. It's on you...that just doesn't happen, and i ship a lot of guns.

rifle came into the shop from Gulf States Dist.
they put it in a soft case inside a large carboard box with zero other packing materials.
To say im pissed is an understatement.
The rifle was supposed to be for one of my employees.
when we ship we use hard cases.

then, maybe the title should have read:

"Thanks Seller Fkin Goon"
28 1,076 more...
Food, Cooking, and Game Preparation Jump to new posts
Re: Took a little walk in the woods, Ramps are up LouisB 7 minutes ago
Wonder what their growing limits are, because we do not have them here?

Apparently not latitude, or elevation.
9 1,303 more...
Re: Friday Music Thread JediWing19 7 minutes ago
12 272 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: WTS Couple AR's and Shotguns Spring1898 8 minutes ago
Bump to top
3 596 more...
Re: Met Jim Conrad FatCity67 9 minutes ago
I'm guessin Jimmy could be Sammo's son had he knocked his 6th grade teacher Mrs. Robinson. Or was it Ms Mary Kay in the 5th grade.🤣😂😜
75 4,562 more...
Re: Athalon Scope Report Big Stick 10 minutes ago
Prezactly. Hint.

As mentioned initially,the Mil/Mil interface is far more forgiving,on this particular optic. Hint.

Just sayin’…………
5 251 more...
Re: Moa math using 200 yard zero stinkycoyote 12 minutes ago
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
And then ditch the inches.

except for wind data of course

I'm not so sure about that.

oh yeah? when you handle yer weeny 5 times a day for various activities does your brain recognize it as 1.2 mils or 15 cm....or is it in INCHES?????

or do you have a vagina? in that case I apologize for misgendering you wink
52 6,271 more...
Re: Hailey Millrs FatCity67 13 minutes ago
What about Twiggy?

Do her next.
4 160 more...
Free Classifieds
Re: Thanks UPS Fkin GOONS gankster 14 minutes ago
I have had a couple claims with FedEx. I shipped a Winchester to Alaska that cost $140 with insurance. It got lost and I tracked it all over the US for a month. Finally a representative called me and said he was sorry and he would send me a check. Five days later got the check. I ask the man what if the gun comes back. He said you'll never see it. The next day the gun came back unharmed. Shipped the next day USPS and got there in four days. I also shipped a Weatherby to Texas in a plastic hard case. When gun got to dealer stock was broken in half. They also paid that claim too
28 1,076 more...
Re: Athalon Scope Report Deerhunter78 14 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Rolly
Thought I would check in regarding my first use of the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42.
I went to the range today and found that as I moved the power ring from 6x to 12 x the focus needed adjustment. Moving back from 12 to 6x required adjustment of the focus back to where it started. I don’t like that. The adjustable objective was set at 100 yds as that was the distance at which I was shooting.
Also the cross hairs and the target don’t appear to be quite on the same plane
. When I adjust the focus for one or the other, the other one, either the target or the cross hairs are just slightly out of focus. The scope mounted easily and tracked sighting in easily. The glass clarity seemed to my 77 year old eyes to be sharp except for the focus thing I mentioned above. On my second trip to the range today I tried changing the parallax adjustment to see if that might fix my focusing problem. Nope! Focus at 6x, move the power to 12x and the scope was badly out of focus. Go back to 6 x after focusing at 12x and again it is badly out of focus.
Bottom line is that I feel like I wasted my money on the scope. I wouldn’t recommend buying another one.

The range numbers on parallax adjustments are sometimes suggestions at best.

The parallax adjustment is there to put the target and reticle in the same plane.

1. Adjust the reticle focus against the blue sky or other blank background using the eyepiece.

2. Aim at the target and use the parallax adjustment to put the reticle and target images in the same plane. Ignore the numbers on the parallax adjustment while doing this.

The focus shifts between magnifications shouldn't be happening.

That is correct.

Not to cast aspersions, but Rolly's entire post reads like user error, but of course there could always be a scope problem.
5 251 more...
Long Range Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Long Range Hunting - 600 Yards/Cup-n-Core Bullet/No Dialing Muleyhunter 15 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Muleyhunter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hello Metrosexual Alberta Outdoorsman from Three Hills, on the troll this morning?

I will be going shooting next month with my .300 Win Mag, which I bought after I sold my .300 WSM Browning Mountain Ti. Why did I sell the WSM? Because the Ammo was a pain in the azz to find and .300 Win Mags are more readily available, not for the ballistic difference.

I will be shooting out to 800 yards when I go. I will post the video I will make and take pictures of the groupings on the targets I shoot at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 yards and post them as well. I was going to use Milk Jugs, for the Milk Jug Challenge, but milk jugs are prohibited on the range and only targets are permitted.

As for why I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs, when Corlane Sporting Goods set up my Huskemaw, you know, the scope you and sns2 call Huskamowmow with glass like Green Coke Bottle glass, when you bash the Huskemaws on Alberta Outdoorsmen, while you fruits bash American scopes and Americans?

Rod shot many brands of .300 Win Mags through my customized rifle with the new Wilson Barrel they replaced on my Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight as per my request, because the factory barrel shot like crap. My turret is calibrated with the ABLRs, you have a problem with that dumbfuk?

The Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs is what the barrel liked best, which is why I shoot them. If you knew anything about barrels, you would know that different barrels prefer different bullets and I like to go with the bullet that gets the best groups. Frankly, I wish the barrel preferred a less expensive brand.

This is the customized rifle I will be shooting and look dummy, the hunting guide in the video is using a Huskemaw too, with him being a guide, I guess they work, right moron?

As for you Phque Stick, you are the Piece Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit, so GFY, Just saying'....... laugh’n

At least you'll be getting lots of exercise walking back and forth from shooting position to target huh? Being that you don't own a range membership I hope the 800 yds of hills, trees, or the landowner don't slow you down.

800 yds should be quite a challenge for you being that you can't hit a donkeys azz with a banjo and 3 swings most days.

And no, you stated that you only ever see elk 5 - 700 yds away so you got yourself a 300wm for the ballistics to handle that. Looked at the 300wsm but deemed it incapable. Interesting considering.

And quite frankly I've never had anything to say about Huskemaw scopes to anyone other than I wouldn't own one but, I've said that about a few brands of scopes and rifles. I much prefer European brands but thats just me. Feel free to be you.

And just for the record replacing a defective barrel on a new rifle doesn't make it a custom version.

Looking forward to the shooting vids.
130 17,495 more...
Page 1 of 2,619 1 2 3 2618 2619
AX24

502 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 62 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,136
Posts18,502,721
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.