Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by kwg020
There are some tricks to getting one to shoot better. But, I'm reluctant to say they shoot great unless you put a lot of money into them. The rotary bolt of Garand design just isn't going to give you Armalite accuracy.

But, if you live in a State that won't allow AR's they are one of your only options. The traditional design and new stock options (mostly aftermarket) make for a fun carbine. At under 100 yards with soft points, it's in the top ten for a home defense rifle and they don't have that scary pistol grip and bayonet lug to get the soccer mom's all upset and crying.

kwg
That rotary bolt in the M1 and the M14 especially, can give some accuracy under MOA really easily.

The M1 and the M14 had forged receivers that were machined to precision tolerances along with precision barrels. Ruger has cast receivers with God only knows what kind of tolerances and barrels designed to work with any kind of ammo. ASI can get you a precision barrel with tight tolerances but it can't get you a precision receiver.

The newer rifles with the newer barrels are more accurate but those skinny barrel Minis are an abomination. I own 3 of them and had ASI put their barrels on 2 of them. It was expensive but they both shoot much better than the factory barrel that was on them.

You can make them accurate if you are willing to spend the money. I'm sure you had to spend some money and time making your M1's and M14's accurate as well. You can buy an accurate AR right off the shelf or build it yourself for not a lot of money and effort.

That's too bad about the Mini 14's. When they first came out they were a lot less money than the AR's. Not so anymore.

kwg
So its not the bolt design thats the issue with minis. Like I said...Ruger just made cheap guns for max profit. Can't fault em for that. They sold millions?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....