Originally Posted by northwestalaska
I ran an outfitting service out of Kotz for years. A 14 foot raft is rated aroud 1,100 pounds. That is 1 moose and all of your gear. You can tuck a bou in as well but don't expect to toss a 3rd hunter on as well. Look at 2 14 for 4 hunters.foot rafts and you will be good.

I've taken 20 bulls, now, some with partners, some solo, a couple using boats, and have to concur that 2 bulls for 2 guys on a float hunt is stretching the envelope badly unless you really know what you are doing and have all your ducks in a row. Even then, it is probably going to be more work than fun!

I'm now in Walt's old stomping ground and took a 2 or 3 year old bull last fall using a 14 foot Achilles, with aluminum folding floorboards and a 25 hp 2 stroke outboard. Camp, dog, and me looked like a full load going in, but I managed to squeeze in the moose, anyway. The dog was not impressed, since his bed out was on top of the rather lumpy load, and higher than he likes to ride...

This was a planned 6 to 8 day trip, leaving directly from Kotzebue (60 feet behind my apartment, in fact) of which I used 5 days, beating the first snow of the year and initial ice-over of the lagoon by about an hour..... The kill was made on Sept 28 or 29

Leaving home.

[Linked Image]

The kill.

[Linked Image]

Only the dog and me to add for the trip home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think my Rubber Ducky boat would have liked the next day's conditions:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 01/26/11.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.