Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Isn't marketing and advertising marvelous. It lines the sheep up in a perfect row. And can they ever shoot!! No wounding, just ass over tea kettle dead at a thousand yards with a single shot. One professional I seen in a TV program took a whack at 900-1000 yards, I forget which. It was a bull elk standing broadside and at the shot it took off on the run only to be dead centered in the lungs and dropped in it's tracks. The first shot hit the tip of the fifth point, a miss of four feet, but the second was perfect on the dead run through trees and taken off hand. Now thats what I call "shootin"! But I wonder? - how many dollar's did that clip generate?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Caplock
Long range to me is putting a 50 RB fueled by BP into a deers boiler room at 100 yds. I won't hardly shoot at anything further because of my eyes and age related shakiness.

Ain't nothing worng with that!

But, I like to traditional bow hunt. I like observing animals up close and learning from them. However, I also enjoy sitting on a hill and seeing miles in every direction and observing them from a ways out too, knowing I could set up and possibly make the shot happen. It is what it is. Nothing wrong with anyway of hunting, just know your equipment!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xspurt
Isn't marketing and advertising marvelous. It lines the sheep up in a perfect row. And can they ever shoot!! No wounding, just ass over tea kettle dead at a thousand yards with a single shot. One professional I seen in a TV program took a whack at 900-1000 yards, I forget which. It was a bull elk standing broadside and at the shot it took off on the run only to be dead centered in the lungs and dropped in it's tracks. The first shot hit the tip of the fifth point, a miss of four feet, but the second was perfect on the dead run through trees and taken off hand. Now thats what I call "shootin"! But I wonder? - how many dollar's did that clip generate?

The only sheep lined up here are those determined and dedicated few that can't not cry, whine, and bitch about what other people choose to do with their time, effort, and money.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
The cartridges I use have more impact energy at 500 yards than what most of the short range dolts use , have at the muzzle

We know, you never miss a chance to tell the world how phuggin' wonderful you are.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Those that are successful at long range, be it paper targets, steel targets, or live game, are the ones who have made a commitment to it. They are not your average shooter, or your average hunter.

They are the ones who put together the rifle that will do the job, use an optic that will do the job, and put together a load that will do the job. They are the ones who agonize over the details that the average hunter gleefully declares as unnecessary, because it's just a hunting rifle, it's just a hunting scope, it's just a hunting load.

They are not the ones who leave their rifles in the safe for 50 weeks out of the year, untouched. They are the ones out shooting during the off season, making sure their shi t will do the job, instead of hold up on the internet pontificating about what someone else's "ethics" should be.

Long range anything, obviously isn't for everyone, and especially isn't for the average shooter/hunter.

good answer , true and the best reply A+

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Ethics by definition are not subjective. Hey Petey-pie what bullet should one use for long range hunting in 30 cal? Bwaaahhhaaaaa. Loser.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A person needs to know their weapons, ammo and their weaknesses. Just because you read somewhere what your equipment can do doesn't mean you can do it. If someone doesn't like the way I hunt they can go suck some azz.

Life is good live it while you can.
X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Anybody notice it's all me - me- me, all about what get's me off, not one peep about wounding rates! It is nothing but sick - sick - sick, and nothing to do with other peoples choices. It's just too bad our big game suffers needlessly just so a few can get their jolly's and sell some un needed products. It' just that simple.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Swamplord
The cartridges I use have more impact energy at 500 yards than what most of the short range dolts use , have at the muzzle

We know, you never miss a chance to tell the world how phuggin' wonderful you are.

C'mon man, those 338 Skullfuck and 416 Hamsplitter rounds are awesome. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody notice it's all me - me- me, all about what get's me off, not one peep about wounding rates! It is nothing but sick - sick - sick, and nothing to do with other peoples choices. It's just too bad our big game suffers needlessly just so a few can get their jolly's and sell some un needed products. It' just that simple.

Anothergun....just how many accounts do you have anyway?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bluefish
Ethics by definition are not subjective. Hey Petey-pie what bullet should one use for long range hunting in 30 cal? Bwaaahhhaaaaa. Loser.

whatever Bluefish its easy and safe for you on your keyboard. you must have little man syndrome ?

Last edited by pete53; 12/19/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You quadjabbed old twats can throw all the hissy fits ya want, but guess what ? Nobody gives a shyte what your feeble minds think is unethical, your pretend halo is yours to wear

and your ED is your fkn problem, or should I say "your nonfkn problem" lol !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A guy walks to the woods carrying his long bow in one hand. On his back, along side his small backpack is a quiver with a few wooden arrows. The back pack carries a canteen and enough food for one day. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in a pickup. He gets out throws on his small backpack with a canteen and enough food for one day. He has a quiver with a few arrows attached to his compound bow and heads into the woods. He has a range finder on his belt. Is he hunting?

A guy walks out his back door and heads for the woods with his open sighted .30-30 rifle. He has a canteen and a little lunch in a small fanny pack. Is he hunting?

I guy walks of his house with his scope sighted rifle and a few things to nibble on a few hundred yards from his house and climbs up into his tree stand. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out and grabs his .270 with a 3-9X scope sighted in for 100 yards. He takes a few cartridges out of the box and puts them into his pocket. He puts on a backpack which has a rangefinder and enough food and water for a whole day; and a little more if he decides to stay in the woods. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He gets out. He puts on his binoculars which he installed in a bino-buddy. He then puts on his backpack which contains enough food and water for a day. On his belt is a rangefinder. He picks up his long range 7STW with a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 sighted in for 300 yards mounted on it. Installed on the fore end is a bipod. Is he hunting?

A guy drives to the woods in his pickup. He goes to a clear-cut he scouted earlier in the year. After pulling off the roads at an abandoned landing he gets out a portable benchrest and sets it up. He then places a range finder on it to one side. Then he sets out a front rest and a rear sandbag on the bench rest. He carefully places a .30-378 Wea Mag carrying a Nightforce 12-42X56 scope sighted in for 100 yards. He can adjust the turret for the range at which he sees game. He gets out a set of Minox 15X58 Big Eyes and mounts them on a tri-pod. Is he hunting

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Per ringman's post. Good point. I've done all of those things.

They are all indeed hunting because they are in pursuit of game.
The longbow guy.....well he's in fo a bit of a challenge. I'm a traditional bow hunter who is pretty unsuccessful but occasionally do make it work.
Tonight I was sitting in my truck, rifle on the bags over the hood watching a big field. I seen some does. I pulled up the leicas and ranged them. They were at 680ish. I dialed. Never pulled the trigger because I didn't think I could make the shot. I've shot game that far before. It's hard. But so is game at 10 yards with a longbow. Know your equipment and your own skill set and apply them to the situation.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
I was at the rifle range shooting awhile back! I had placed my target on the 500 yard line. An older fella, perhaps it was you I don't know, told me I had no buisiness shooting at 500 yards because you can't hunt game ethically at 500 yards. His target was places at 100 yards. We both shot 5 shots and went down range to aquire our targets. My group was 5 shots In less than 2". His group was 5 shots into 4 ish inches. My question is this.........do I have more buisiness hunting game at 500 yards than he does at 100 yards ? Or is consistency of shooting or group size even relevant?

Trystan
It is all about knowing your limits and practicing to be the best shot you can be at the distance in which you choose to hunt. I do not have any safe shots where I hunt over about 250, so that is where I shoot most of the time. I would never tell someone else they have no business to shoot further than the range I shoot at. Heck, I know some boys up north of me in the MS River delta that hunt bean fields and are killing deer with head shots at 600 and 700 yards, but rarely see deer less than 250 yards.

Originally Posted by KillerBee
The people that say you should not take long shots on game are the same people that say you should never take neck or head shots. In other words, they don't know how to shoot.

Here is a simple approach. If you don't think you can make the shot, don't take it, because you probably can't.
agreed.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Those that are successful at long range, be it paper targets, steel targets, or live game, are the ones who have made a commitment to it. They are not your average shooter, or your average hunter.

They are the ones who put together the rifle that will do the job, use an optic that will do the job, and put together a load that will do the job. They are the ones who agonize over the details that the average hunter gleefully declares as unnecessary, because it's just a hunting rifle, it's just a hunting scope, it's just a hunting load.

They are not the ones who leave their rifles in the safe for 50 weeks out of the year, untouched. They are the ones out shooting during the off season, making sure their shi t will do the job, instead of hold up on the internet pontificating about what someone else's "ethics" should be.

Long range anything, obviously isn't for everyone, and especially isn't for the average shooter/hunter.
It definitely isn’t a once in a while hobby. You have to be dedicated and practice a lot.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.

Hope ya get your hormone replacement prescription filled soon.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's as easy as "1000 yards outa the box"! What's the problem?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm opposed to some nitwit on the interwebs telling me what I can and can't do while hunting.

In WA State, 90%? of our fish and game board are not hunters.

We don't need these idiots giving them new ideas for restrictions to "make it more fair" for the game animals.

Enough already.

If you can't make a 500 yard shot with your rifle, don't. It speaks more to your lack of training and proficiency than to any discussion on "ethics."

Rant over (maybe).

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 65 invisible), 1,837 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,247
Posts18,525,074
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.