Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
If you aren't out there stabbing them with a spear tipped by a piece of flint you knapped yourself then you aren't hunting. grin

Says my ancestors: But fu ck that. A smart indian carries a rifle now.

That's cheating man. You aren't a real hunter. grin

Ha ha..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sitting Bull looks like he is thinking "It's the brave, not the bipod..."

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of ‘hunting’ vs ‘shooting’, when I was in New Zealand in 2015 I whacked a trophy stag and tahr, plus a second of each (both females) for camp meat. I had only a single day left before needing to leave and my guide asked if I was interested in a chamois. Problem was, it was a full day drive/hike to get to where some were. He suggested we go the helo route and it would only take about 15 minutes once we were in the area, he said. I was skeptical, but when in Rome….

I ended up getting dropped off on a hot landing and then taking a buck Chamois that was running from the helo as it was bouncing off a cliff face. I then also took a female, this time literally from the hovering helo. It wasn’t hunting, but it was legal (and fun). Zero regrets. I’d really like to see how many people could have made the shots that I did on those two chamois.

It wasn’t my preferred way, but it was a New Zealand thing, perfectly acceptable there, and a hell of a challenge from a shooting perspective.

X
Xspurt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
It's hard to believe how threatened so many people, who consider themselves hunters are when there is no question about the ethics of so called "long range hunting". They can't even convince themselves or they wouldn't have to be so defensive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Xspurt
It's hard to believe how threatened so many people, who consider themselves hunters are when there is no question about the ethics of so called "long range hunting". They can't even convince themselves or they wouldn't have to be so defensive.

When you’re accused, you have to bring in reasoning

Please defend the ethics of hunting over a feeder in a heated box blind.

It’ll be fun

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jericho
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

Exactly. I've seen that many times.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
If you aren't out there stabbing them with a spear tipped by a piece of flint you knapped yourself then you aren't hunting. grin

Ha ha..

Ha ha.. He's definitely thinking something.....like maybe you white guys are fu cking hilarious..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's interesting watching all the wriggling and squirming going on by the "long rangers" trying to avoid the very simple real issue: if you are launching mortars at 1000 yd across a canyon at an elk thats all about shooting....and has nothing to do with hunting....no matter how desperately you try to twist it. It's actually on the "sick" side of things.
Every hunt with a rifle is “all about shooting” when it comes time to shoot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smallfry
It's interesting watching all the wriggling and squirming going on by the "long rangers" trying to avoid the very simple real issue: if you are launching mortars at 1000 yd across a canyon at an elk thats all about shooting....and has nothing to do with hunting....no matter how desperately you try to twist it. It's actually on the "sick" side of things.

diXspurt doesn't shoot at game, it's unethical and not fair chase ! He tracks, stalks and crawls from his cave for many miles, then when he "gets close" to make it an ethical kill... he leaps to his feet & clubs it to death, like a real hunter is supposed to !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

I tried to coach up a former Marine (current reserves) into PRS. God bless that hammer headed son of a gun for his service to our country and his several tours down range, but I couldn't do a thing with him past the 600 yard line. He tried a couple matches and couldn't get past his own shortcomings at distance. Too embarrassed and he walked away from it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry

That's what this joker refuses to acknowledge. Hunting gets you to the place, shooting get you the dead animal.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

Ha ha..

That was good for a laugh Mike!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American

I tried to coach up a former Marine (current reserves) into PRS. God bless that hammer headed son of a gun for his service to our country and his several tours down range, but I couldn't do a thing with him past the 600 yard line. He tried a couple matches and couldn't get past his own shortcomings at distance. Too embarrassed and he walked away from it.

Man, all this Marine hate stuff... This place is a downer grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

No Marine hate at all, and can't possibly see how you got to that comment. The guy is not only a friend, but a co-worker, and one of the very few humanoids I'd trust watching my six....as long as he doesn't have to shoot past 600 yards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was saying that completely tongue in cheek FA.. Was just pokin fun.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ok, lol.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Speaking of ‘hunting’ vs ‘shooting’, when I was in New Zealand in 2015 I whacked a trophy stag and tahr, plus a second of each (both females) for camp meat. I had only a single day left before needing to leave and my guide asked if I was interested in a chamois. Problem was, it was a full day drive/hike to get to where some were. He suggested we go the helo route and it would only take about 15 minutes once we were in the area, he said. I was skeptical, but when in Rome….

I ended up getting dropped off on a hot landing and then taking a buck Chamois that was running from the helo as it was bouncing off a cliff face. I then also took a female, this time literally from the hovering helo. It wasn’t hunting, but it was legal (and fun). Zero regrets. I’d really like to see how many people could have made the shots that I did on those two chamois.

It wasn’t my preferred way, but it was a New Zealand thing, perfectly acceptable there, and a hell of a challenge from a shooting perspective.

Cool stuff there TI. NZ is on my bucket list for sure. That's some supreme stunt shooting there for sure, and can attest to how fun it is. I've been in a helicopter on my buddy's place whacking pigs, and it ain't easy by any stretch, and no "gimme" even with a shotgun. Sounds like fun!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Yeah, I find this "enlisted guys can't shoot very well" stuff interesting, and since I have zero interest in competition shooting I'll just take peoples word for it in comparison. However, I've sat at some of Hodnett's "shooting clinics" from service men from all over the world, and have seen them whack prarie dogs numerous times at 800+ yards. All this in the TX Panhandle where the wind blows to some degree every single day. All comes down to knowing your limitations I guess.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yeah, I find this "enlisted guys can't shoot very well" stuff interesting, and since I have zero interest in competition shooting I'll just take peoples word for it in comparison. However, I've sat at some of Hodnett's "shooting clinics" from service men from all over the world, and have seen them whack prarie dogs numerous times at 800+ yards. All this in the TX Panhandle where the wind blows to some degree every single day. All comes down to knowing your limitations I guess.

I've heard about a couple decent shooting enlisted guys...

Now officer's, never glimpsed one grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I've heard about a couple decent shooting enlisted guys...

Now officer's, never glimpsed one grin

Seems like the Marine Gunnery Sergeants can certainly shoot. One local Marine won Southwest Nationals Sling Division last February and has been on multiple Palma teams. Another went from Scout Sniper to running SWAT training programs for Maricopa County Sheriff's office in addition to a highly successful competition resume.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I’ve seen more good shooting on the internet than I ever have in the field or on a range…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (22magnut, 257Bob, 257man, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,242
Posts18,524,949
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.