Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by mathman
If you aren't out there stabbing them with a spear tipped by a piece of flint you knapped yourself then you aren't hunting. grin

Says my ancestors: But fu ck that. A smart indian carries a rifle now.

That's cheating man. You aren't a real hunter. grin

Ha ha..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sitting Bull looks like he is thinking "It's the brave, not the bipod..."

That was good for a laugh Mike!

Couldn't resist 😄

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was saying that completely tongue in cheek FA.. Was just pokin fun.

Yeah, I find this "enlisted guys can't shoot very well" stuff interesting, and since I have zero interest in competition shooting I'll just take peoples word for it in comparison. However, I've sat at some of Hodnett's "shooting clinics" from service men from all over the world, and have seen them whack prarie dogs numerous times at 800+ yards. All this in the TX Panhandle where the wind blows to some degree every single day. All comes down to knowing your limitations I guess.

I've heard about a couple decent shooting enlisted guys...

Now officer's, never glimpsed one grin

Seems like the Marine Gunnery Sergeants can certainly shoot. One local Marine won Southwest Nationals Sling Division last year and has been on multiple Palma teams. Another went from Scout Sniper to running SWAT training programs for Maricopa County Sheriff's office in addition to a highly successful competition resume.

One thing is most Marines love to shoot. From cooks to the highest caliber of Marine, tended to like to shoot. At least during my short stint. I joined the MC just cause I thought they shot all the time grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jericho
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

I tried to coach up a former Marine (current reserves) into PRS. God bless that hammer headed son of a gun for his service to our country and his several tours down range, but I couldn't do a thing with him past the 600 yard line. He tried a couple matches and couldn't get past his own shortcomings at distance. Too embarrassed and he walked away from it.

Man, all this Marine hate stuff... This place is a downer grin

I’ve seen more good shooting on the internet than I ever have in the field or on a range…

Now there's some truth right there....

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jericho
Friend of mine was a Cavalry Scout in the USARMY for several years and went to sniper school. He told us that quite a few guys didnt pass the course because of poor shooting abilities. He also said that most of the guys that made it had shot competition before joining the military, and were always giving advice to the other soldiers.

Competitive shooters are usually miles ahead of military and government employees in shooting skill

I tried to coach up a former Marine (current reserves) into PRS. God bless that hammer headed son of a gun for his service to our country and his several tours down range, but I couldn't do a thing with him past the 600 yard line. He tried a couple matches and couldn't get past his own shortcomings at distance. Too embarrassed and he walked away from it.

The military personel I've seen that could shoot very well are all retired older gentlemen. Some even in their 80's. One retired gunny sgt (who shot at Quantico, and was very competitive in his day), and another Army Airborne Ranger were about the best I've seen. Those old guys had some skills, but the younger generation is something altogether different, from what I've seen. A while back, we had a younger marine show up to one of our longrange matches. I guess he was a DMR of some sort, not sure exactly what? Anyway, he walked away hitting 5 targets that day. I could go on and on about some younger marines I've met at the local ranges in Or, Washington and here in Nevada. They are generally accompanied by their women folk. Sometimes the responses from their women are actually funnier than their actions, or poor azz shooting skills.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When did being a Marine become all about shooting. some of you wanna brag about out shooting a marine at some competition. Did kicking in doors in a foreign country knowing damn well an insurgent was on the other side wanting to kill you a competition?
Keep patting yourself on the back if it makes you feel good.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/22/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was saying that completely tongue in cheek FA.. Was just pokin fun.

Yeah, I find this "enlisted guys can't shoot very well" stuff interesting, and since I have zero interest in competition shooting I'll just take peoples word for it in comparison. However, I've sat at some of Hodnett's "shooting clinics" from service men from all over the world, and have seen them whack prarie dogs numerous times at 800+ yards. All this in the TX Panhandle where the wind blows to some degree every single day. All comes down to knowing your limitations I guess.

I've heard about a couple decent shooting enlisted guys...

Now officer's, never glimpsed one grin

Seems like the Marine Gunnery Sergeants can certainly shoot. One local Marine won Southwest Nationals Sling Division last year and has been on multiple Palma teams. Another went from Scout Sniper to running SWAT training programs for Maricopa County Sheriff's office in addition to a highly successful competition resume.

One thing is most Marines love to shoot. From cooks to the highest caliber of Marine, tended to like to shoot. At least during my short stint. I joined the MC just cause I thought they shot all the time grin

That's awesome Scotty. Thanks for your service buddy!!!! I don't think we are saying all marines shoot like schidt. Of course there are some excellent shooters from all branches of the military, and others that have never been in the military. People are people, and being a marine doesn't make you any less of a person. I sure have met some goofy marines at the ranges I frequent though. It seems like they always need validation from their significant others. They usually bring up the fact that they are a marine, at least 3 times during a 1 hour range visit. Otherwise I wouldn't know they were one. Maybe the women get tired of hearing how good they shoot, so when someone beats them, they have to rub it in a little bit?? It can be comical though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The AMU showed up in force a few years ago at our State Mid Range Championship. I wasn't able to take home any prize money in the High Master Class that day! 😳

Brandon Green set a new Mid Range Aggregate record that weekend.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When did being a Marine become all about shooting. some of you wanna brag about out shooting a marine at some competition. Did kicking in doors in a foreign country knowing damn well an insurgent was on the other side wanting to kill you a competition?

If they fold to the pressures of competition, I for damn sure would not want them defending me on the battlefield.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The military personel I've seen that could shoot very well are all retired older gentlemen. Some even in their 80's. One retired gunny sgt (who shot at Quantico, and was very competitive in his day), and another Army Airborne Ranger were about the best I've seen. Those old guys had some skills, but the younger generation is something altogether different, from what I've seen. A while back, we had a younger marine show up to one of our longrange matches. I guess he was a DMR of some sort, not sure exactly what? Anyway, he walked away hitting 5 targets that day. I could go on and on about some younger marines I've met at the local ranges in Or, Washington and here in Nevada. They are generally accompanied by their women folk. Sometimes the responses from their women are actually funnier than their actions, or poor azz shooting skills.

You’re so full of sh it..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM

You’re so full of sh it..

You are a blowhard that adds nothing to a thread. Go and smoke a bowl, or whatever you methheads do. Better yet, post a picture of yourself, so these guys will know you are a poster child for what meth does to a body...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You are a blowhard that adds nothing to a thread. Go and smoke a bowl, or whatever you methheads do. Better yet, post a picture of yourself, so these guys will know you are a poster child for what meth does to a body...

Here’s another one for your spank bank. Come on, one pic of you with a dead animal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM

Here’s another one for your spank bank. Come on, one pic of you with a dead animal.

I will add, one shot at "long range".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Who's wanting to brag about out shooting a Marine?

I don't see it.

The ONE Marine I'm referring to is an urbanite with very little "outdoor" experience, no hunting at all. Sports was/is his thing. He was trained in the Corp on an M4 platform and a SAW. He did his fair share of door kicking and killing bad guys in Iraq. Last time I checked kicking doors and smoking insurgents had absolutely ZERO to do with shooting long range.
This Marine never fired a single round in his life past 600 yards until he came to me wanting to get into comps. His failure to learn it was my first failure at teaching it. I share the blame and really wish he'd listened to advice. NONE of that makes him any less of a warfighter in my book. As I've said before here, LR isn't for everyone.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If they fold to the pressures of competition, I for damn sure would not want them defending me on the battlefield.

I've never served, nor shot in competition, but I'd think the pressure these guys feel shooting targets would pale in comparison to the pressure they find themselves in at war, wondering if you're going to get your brains blown out or not. Maybe I'm missing something. The guys I've seen shoot with Hodnett, as mentioned previously, make you proud to be an American.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

I will add, one shot at "long range".

Do steel coyotes count?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn't that many years ago just when the internet started to really get to be a mainstream thing, that it seemed about 75% of the guys I met who were ex military
were " ex snipers" .
That is until we got them on the range.
Now, with the internet making the World a much smaller place , it is different- especially when on an open forum some guy starts up and you say, "Well, we have our 1K range going steady right now and I will be the RSO on duty tomorrow.
Come on out with your rig and we can have some fun!"
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm an RSO at the local range.

Cops are the worst offenders with handguns.

Cop: "I carry a gun all day. I don't need YOU telling me how to shoot!"
me: "How often do you shoot the gun you carry every day?"
Cop: "I qualify twice a year with 100 rounds."
me, making the sign of the cross, "Carry on."

ANYONE in military camo at the range is suspect: "I was a Delta Force Recon Marine sniper with the Seal Team 6. I can hit running targets standing up at 400 yards with my 308 sniper rifle. I'm just here to show my buddy how to become a sniper."

me: "Get the fuque off my range"

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I'm an RSO at the local range.

Cops are the worst offenders with handguns.

Cop: "I carry a gun all day. I don't need YOU telling me how to shoot!"
me: "How often do you shoot the gun you carry every day?"
Cop: "I qualify twice a year with 100 rounds."
me, making the sign of the cross, "Carry on."

ANYONE in military camo at the range is suspect: "I was a Delta Force Recon Marine sniper with the Seal Team 6. I can hit running targets standing up at 400 yards with my 308 sniper rifle. I'm just here to show my buddy how to become a sniper."

me: "Get the fuque off my range"
Yup, and that is typical!
Our RSO's ( myself included) have more than once ordered RCMP among others off the range for unsafe firearms handling !
Of course there are some that can shoot accurately and safely, and some that are actually decorated snipers or LEO's- they typically won't tell you that however . They don't have too!
Cat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The snipers I knew in 2/6 were a mixed bag, from all walks of life. They knew how to shoot but generally didn’t know squat about their rifles…twist, B/C, etc.

We drank a lot of beer together after getting back to Camp Lejeune but never really discussed anything but the important stuff. Dirty, dirty wimminz. Good times!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
We drank a lot of beer together after getting back to Camp Lejeune but never really discussed anything but the important stuff. Dirty, dirty wimminz. Good times!
That's priceless! LOL
Cat

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219 Wasp, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 42 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,218
Posts18,524,544
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.