http://sebrests-usa.com/
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Long range is that distance that the shooter can't keep 100% of his rounds fired into 1/2 MOA! If 1000 yards inside a 5" circle!

I would never agree to this kind of definition.
A more realistic way of looking at things, is can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

XP you seem like a reasonable and thoughtful person. Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences with us. Please have a wonderful 2024 filled with shooting, hunting and all kinds of other good times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hi xphunter, all of the critters you posted with your long-range handgun are truly remarkable and outstanding!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year cool

Thanks!
I do almost all of my hunting with some kind of a handgun. Every once in a while, I will use a bow.

I have done a lot of bow hunting, I only wish I could have the opportunity to shoot big game with a hang gun, must be really cool. But where I live, if I got caught in the bush hunting with a handgun, I would be convicted in court and get a life sentence, without parole. Canada is a "Ruined Nation".

Oh, but I can carry a shotgun for self-defence, which is weird considering a shotgun is way deadlier than a handgun, if you know what I mean.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GRF
Long range is that distance that the shooter can't keep 100% of his rounds fired into 1/2 MOA! If 1000 yards inside a 5" circle!

A more realistic way of looking at things, is can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

XP you seem like a reasonable and thoughtful person. Thank you for sharing your photos and experiences with us. Please have a wonderful 2024 filled with shooting, hunting and all kinds of other good times.

+1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+2

I will also add xphunter is a class act as well.

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/28/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yada yada yada!

Just about what expected from you

The guy from Louisiana is trying to school the guy from Wyoming about LR hunting?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF

Thanks.
I try to be reasonable.
Next up for me is some night hunting (hopefully if schedules cooperate).
Shooting from a tripod standing, with a center-grip single-shot H-S Precision HSP, chambered in 6mm Creedmoor.
Coyotes, fox, and hogs are on the menu.
Shots shouldn’t be over 300 yards.
108 ELD-M’s

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds interesting!!

Have fun and if you are inclined there a lot of us here (the campfire) who really enjoy good stories; which yours most definitely are.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi xphunter, all of the critters you posted with your long-range handgun are truly remarkable and outstanding!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year cool

Thanks!
I do almost all of my hunting with some kind of a handgun. Every once in a while, I will use a bow.

I have done a lot of bow hunting, I only wish I could have the opportunity to shoot big game with a hang gun, must be really cool. But where I live, if I got caught in the bush hunting with a handgun, I would be convicted in court and get a life sentence, without parole. Canada is a "Ruined Nation".

Oh, but I can carry a shotgun for self-defense, which is weird considering a shotgun is way deadlier than a handgun, if you know what I mean.

To live in a country that will not allow handguns to be carried and to be used for hunting, would be very frustrating, to say the least.
I would probably bowhunt more if I lived there or with BP.
When we visited New Zealand, I hunted with a rifle, as it was illegal to hunt with a handgun there too.
A borrowed rifle that is set up well works good though - 624 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My other rifle hunting has been typically been at night, and has not involved distance. In fact, I don't think it has surpassed 300 yards. On steel I have shot at 500 yards at night, and that was quite easy.
Now with a thermal scope, I will be using specialty pistols at night too in the future.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GRF
Sounds interesting!!

Have fun and if you are inclined, there is a lot of us here (the campfire) who really enjoy good stories; which yours most definitely are.

Thank you.
Will do.
It won't probably involve distance though.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Long Range Shooting Forum!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jeez, it ain't been that cold this winter for the cabin fever threads to be this involved................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up with a dad who taught me the basics of reloading and good shooting. He was an excellent teacher and I've always been a pretty good student. After I graduated college, got married, and moved away from home, I started to branch out a bit. I ended up at one point with an FN PBR XP in .308 Win with a 26" barrel and I wanted to see what it could do. I worked up an excellent load with it, IIRC, 46 gr. Varget behind a 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, for hunting. At the time I had a couple of places where I could stretch out to 700 yards shooting at plates and milk jugs. I had a 6.5-20x44 Nikon UCC scope on it that adjusted beautifully for turning turrets and I was confident on anything out to 700 yards.
At that time we hunted west of Pierre, South Dakota every year, chasing mulies and whitetails. I brought that rifle with me after I'd gained a high level of confidence in it. We were glassing and watching some mulies down in a flat below. I put the LRF on the nicest buck in the bunch. 632 yards. Dad and Harry (the ranch owner) were trying to work out a stalk on them for me to run while dad and mom posted in the likeliest place for them to travel on if they decided to move or if I blew the stalk. I had been hunting this country for over a decade and knew that stalking would have worked perfectly fine. But I had acquired new skills with a new rifle and wanted to try them out. As they were trying to figure out how to send me, I got into prone position and dialed in the elevation. They both noticed what I was doing and assumed I was just looking at them with my 20x scope. I settled in and said, "Might want to plug your ears." Dad just about came unglued. 300 yards was a long shot in his book. But he didn't prevent what I was doing. I squeezed off the shot. The bullet slap was like hitting a bass drum and the buck donkey kicked, then we heard the bullet impact, and watched him go on a dead run for about 50 yards before piling up. The other deer startled, but had no idea what had happened. Dad asked me what the hell I thought I was doing. "Filling tags, dad. Filling tags. Shall I shoot another?" Mom laughed and said, "You can fill my tag." So I then lined up on the biggest doe while dad was protesting and told him to plug his ears again. I squeezed off - same result.

Is it long range shooting? Yes. Is it as long as some of you guys shoot? No. But dad didn't argue with me any more about taking shots over 400 yards. Previously my longest kill had been 427 yards with a M70 FWT .30-06 with the same 165 gr. NBT. I was sitting with mom and dad SW of Watertown, SD and a nice buck was lolligagging in the pasture with no way of stalking him. I sat down and used a fence corner post structure as a rest. Squeezed off the first shot, heard the impact as the buck turned 180 degrees. I shot him a second time and he just laid down. Both were within 2" of one another through the lungs. Dad just shook his head and accused me of trickshooting. "If I did it twice is it really a trick shot?" smile

The point being, why quibble about the distance at one kills an animal? If one is proficient at a given yardage, is it truly unethical? Now I hunt Iowa whitetails during the late muzzleloader season with an XP-100 in .350 Rem Mag. I have no qualms about a 300 yard shot with that setup. But when I share with other hunters in the area what I do and the distances we kill deer at with single shot pistols, they think I'm filling them full of BS.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xspurt
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.

Why

Do you need anger mgt. class?

Do feel like you would want to hurt yourself or someone else?

Do you vote democrat?

Maybe, just maybe you could use a nap.

Texas
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hard to understand why all these fantastic LR shooters that post on this forum never entered any competitive shooting events like the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry? My guess is because they’re basically FULL OF BULLSHIT!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hard to understand why all these fantastic LR shooters that post on this forum never entered any competitive shooting events like the Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry? My guess is because they’re basically FULL OF BULLSHIT!

Years ago I was told by the owner of Bob's Accuracy Shop I was the beset long range shooter he ever saw. By then I already was soured on official group competition.

Years before that I took my Freedom Arms .454 to a silhouette match. I was used to hitting jack rabbits beyond 100 yards regularly. I was surprised at how large the targets looked. I used the .454 for all kinds of hunting and started to use my hunting stance. Someone told me where to start. Some clown came over and interrupted me with,
"Hey, you can't use an artificial rest." I was holding the bottom of the pistol grip on the fat part of my left hand with my left elbow against my chest like I saw rifle shooters doing.
"What? That's me!" I argued.
"Well, here that is an artificial rest," he continued.
I looked around and saw some guys laying on the ground with their elbow on the ground holding the handgun against the side of their leg. I laughed and told the guy I wouldn't be seeing him again, and left.

Perhaps others feel the same way I do about fun that is not fun is not fun.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
RHM Offline
R
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Originally Posted by Xspurt
It's called long range hunting. Nuthin about huntin all about shootin. Get it right.
The problem with a statement like this is, what exactly IS considered " long range" and who dictates said distance?
Cat

It’s a real problem isn’t it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Assumptions on other people's hearts...
If you value your guessing so well, you must be a millionaire...No?
Maybe you should head to Vegas and clean up

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,240
Posts18,524,908
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.